Author Topic: La Place de la Concorde Suisse  (Read 895 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
La Place de la Concorde Suisse
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »
Despite the title in French, this is a small book written in English by the American author John McPhee, about the role of the military in Swiss life. Very enlightening, though still not as great as his Coming into the Country, about Alaska in the 1980's.

The Swiss Army is issued a Swiss Army knife with only six gadgets: you want more gadgets, you will have to buy another knife

Louis Chevrolet was Franco-Swiss, not French, and claimed that the Chevrolet "bowtie" logo is a stylized image of a map of Switzerland, his native land. This contradicts another legend that it was taken from a design on the wallpaper in a Detroit hotel.

It is a grave crime to shoot one's government-issued Swiss Army rifle. All ammo is accounted for.

The Swiss do not carry weapons with them except when in uniform, so crime is not prevented by Swiss men strolling about packing heat.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: La Place de la Concorde Suisse
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:55:37 PM »
clearly the swiss would not likely enroll in the front sight firearms training institute

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:09:20 AM »
I have no idea. I did not read the book because I like or do not like firearms. I read it because I wanted to read about Switzerland. It seems to be an interesting country, especially because it has avoided war since the 1700's.

It was an interesting book. I enjoyed it. Mc Phee is a great writer and anyone that likes non fiction should check out his many books on Amazon.

Read it.

Or don't.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
I have no idea. I did not read the book because I like or do not like firearms. I read it because I wanted to read about Switzerland. It seems to be an interesting country, especially because it has avoided war since the 1700's.

It was an interesting book. I enjoyed it. Mc Phee is a great writer and anyone that likes non fiction should check out his many books on Amazon.

Read it.

Or don't.

I heard they ripped off a lot of Jews of the Holocaust period.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
It is a grave crime to shoot one's government-issued Swiss Army rifle. All ammo is accounted for.

The Swiss do not carry weapons with them except when in uniform, so crime is not prevented by Swiss men strolling about packing heat.

No.

Crime is not caused by Swiss Men strolling about packing heat.