Author Topic: life-threatening drug overdose, problem or deterrent  (Read 3691 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
life-threatening drug overdose, problem or deterrent
« on: May 02, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
There is a treatment for opioid overdose. It's called naloxone. In the case of morphine, heroine or oxycodone overdose, for example, naloxone can be administered to save the overdosed person's life. Most of the time this requires a visit to the emergency room. There is a version of naloxone that could be administered outside of a hospital setting and save many lives. Sounds like a good idea to me. But some people think this is a bad idea. Some people think life-threatening overdoses serve as a preventative to drug use and as a means of convincing people to stop using drugs. So distribution of a form of naloxone, Narcan, that anyone can administer (its a nasal spray) would be, to some people, a bad thing. I think saving lives is more important.

But I wonder what other people think about this. Some non-profit groups and state health agencies have been distributing kits of vials of Narcan and a nasal mucosal administration device (also known as a nasal sprayer) to people who are drug users or family members of drug users. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Does it remove a necessary deterrent, or does saving lives quickly matter more?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: life-threatening drug overdose, problem or deterrent
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
the OD as a deterrent scenerio has one flaw
usually the person doing OD don`t know thier ODing till it`s too late
so the deterrent factor may not come into play at all
in fact I know several people who even OD again afterwards.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:07:08 PM »
I would be willing to bet the same people against this are the same ones who are against their daughters getting that vaccine to prevent cervical cancer.

Rich

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
>>But some people think this is a bad idea. Some people think life-threatening overdoses serve as a preventative to drug use and as a means of convincing people to stop using drugs.<<

Excuse me, but who the hell are these people?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
n addition to Narcan, other resuscitative measures such as maintenance of a free airway, artificial ventilation, cardiac massage, and vasopressor agents should be available and employed when necessary to counteract acute opioid poisoning.

Abrupt postoperative reversal of opioid depression may result in nausea, vomiting, sweating, tremulousness, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, seizures, ventricular tachycardia and fibrillation, pulmonary edema, and cardiac arrest which may result in death.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/narcan.html

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »
I would be willing to bet the same people against this are the same ones who are against their daughters getting that vaccine to prevent cervical cancer.

You mean those "people" who want the CHOICE to vaccinate their daughters vs being mandated they be vaccinated for something largely unecessary.  And no, those wouldn't be the same people either who think life threatening overdoses are a good thing, either      >:(     So, don't bet the house
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »
This is the first I've heard talk of making Narcan available over the counter.
I think it's a great idea. 

I guess if you wanted to, you could make the point  that chest pain patients should not self-treat until they're seen by the EMTs or at the hospital, in case the aspirin they take causes a bleed in the brain. It's possible.  But boy, the many lives that are saved as a result of using aspirin are precious, in my opinion.  I want the option.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »

You mean those "people" who want the CHOICE to vaccinate their daughters vs being mandated they be vaccinated for something largely unecessary.  And no, those wouldn't be the same people either who think life threatening overdoses are a good thing, either      >:(     So, don't bet the house

Oh sure, now the people who were against the vaccinations from the get-go say it is all about choice and "freedom" but the fact is that the original reason was that the threat of cancer was a deterrent to pre-marital sex.

So, re-write history now but the facts stand.

Rich

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
>>Oh sure, now the people who were against the vaccinations from the get-go say it is all about choice and "freedom" but the fact is that the original reason was that the threat of cancer was a deterrent to pre-marital sex.<<

Really? Do you have some quotes from these people?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:29 PM »
Oh sure, now the people who were against the vaccinations from the get-go say it is all about choice and "freedom" but the fact is that the original reason was that the threat of cancer was a deterrent to pre-marital sex.

So, re-write history now but the facts stand.

Actually, you're the one rewriting history.

The group mentioned (which was actually a pretty small group, not the entire GOP as implied) was only against mandatory vaccinations. It was the implication of the poster that being against mandatory vaccinations meant that they were against the vaccine in general and trying to have it banned, but that was never true. Feel free to go back to the original articles to verify this.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:07 PM »
>>Oh sure, now the people who were against the vaccinations from the get-go say it is all about choice and "freedom" but the fact is that the original reason was that the threat of cancer was a deterrent to pre-marital sex.<<

Really? Do you have some quotes from these people?

Why, yes, yes, I do.

Despite the benefits of the vaccine, conservative organizations began to rally against it last year. One of the most vocal opponents was the Family Research Council. The council ?promotes the Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society.? Last October the council?s president, Tony Perkins, spoke decidedly against the vaccine. Mr. Perkins proclaimed, ?Our concern is that this vaccine will be marketed to a segment of the population that should be getting a message about abstinence. It sends the wrong message.? He even stated that he would not vaccinate his 13-year-old daughter.

Another organization that promotes abstinence is the Physicians Consortium. The head of the consortium, Dr. Hal Wallis, was also critical. In his opinion, ?If you don?t want to suffer these diseases, you need to abstain, and when you find a partner, stick with that partner.? The founder of the National Abstinence Clearinghouse also opposed the vaccine. This organization was formed ?to promote the appreciation for and practice of sexual abstinence (purity) until marriage.? Leslee Unruh, the organization?s founder, stated firmly, ?I personally object to vaccinating children against a disease that is 100 percent preventable with proper sexual behavior.?

http://www.counterbias.com/665.html

Rich

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
<chuckle>

Come on brass, it's hardly the same thing. This vaccine doesn't protect from all STD's, so saying the only way to truly avoid them is abstinence, isn't saying "don't have sex you'll get cancer."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »
<chuckle>

Come on brass, it's hardly the same thing. This vaccine doesn't protect from all STD's, so saying the only way to truly avoid them is abstinence, isn't saying "don't have sex you'll get cancer."

Whatever, Trevor.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »

Oh sure, now the people who were against the vaccinations from the get-go say it is all about choice and "freedom" but the fact is that the original reason was that the threat of cancer was a deterrent to pre-marital sex.  So, re-write history now but the facts stand.

Actually, the "re-writing of history" is being performed by yourself.  (Funny how the left's accusations are so often a manifestation of what they're doing.  Go figure).  Point being, it was ALWAYS about freedom of CHOICE.  Feel free to ignore history, at your leisure
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 11:52:41 PM »

>>But some people think this is a bad idea. Some people think life-threatening overdoses serve as a preventative to drug use and as a means of convincing people to stop using drugs.<<

Excuse me, but who the hell are these people?

Apparently the folks who run the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy are at least some of those people.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--