Author Topic: dangers of eating your greens  (Read 9022 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: dangers of eating your greens
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
ruthchris steakhouse ,remembered the texture was dfferent. another had aged beef so I
just couldn`t enjoy it. probly do a x-mas thing and treat myself.

Kimba....i dont know much about Cali but there are Whole Foods Markets in the Bay area
that would carry grass-fed beef....I am sure there are other outlets as well. Go to Whole Foods
and buy your own grass-fed beef, cook it on the grill. Maybe cheaper than Ruth Chris?

Here is more on grass-fed beef from Whole Foods:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/meat/grassfed.php
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
ruthchris steakhouse ,remembered the texture was dfferent. another had aged beef so I just couldn`t enjoy it.
probly do a x-mas thing and treat myself.

Good quality grass fed beef, dry aged properly, it just melts in your mouth, even without cooking it. Just a bit of a sear on the outside for flavor.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
Cooking Grass-Fed: Chef Gillespie and White Oak Pastures

"Eat it as rare as you can." Good advice.

This is what I look for. I buy local, visit the farms my food is raised on, I know the guy who butchers the cows and pigs I buy, etc. I make sure that my food supply is healthy all the way through, and I don't worry about tainted food.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
That is one pasty dude,I don`t it`s safe for him to be outdoors. that vid is strange,I could of swore grass fed is the easiest way to raise cattle and maintain land. but also produce the smallest volume of beef.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
"Eat it as rare as you can." Good advice.
yeah looks real tasty...
i'm sure it would be a top seller on any menu!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
yeah looks real tasty...

Yup. I would add some seasoning, spices, and maybe some greens, but it looks good like that too.

Here's some carpaccio:

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
but it looks good like that too.
2EachHisOwn
but I bet if we each opened a restaurant in the United States yours
serving raw steak meat like I pictured or mine serving cooked steak meat....
I'd kick your ass in sales!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

Well, I wouldn't serve raw meat like *you* pictured; I'd serve it like *I* pictured. Like most good quality Italian restaurants or steak houses currently do. Since many good quality restaurants *already* serve raw beef, I don't see how sales are so bad...

In addition to carpaccio, some other terms used on menus to describe raw meat are:

Braciola
    Ceviche
    Chee kufta
    Crudo
    Gored gored
    Kibbeh nayyeh
    Kitfo
    Mett
    Poke
    Sashimi
    Tartare
    Yukhoe

Most other parts of the world eat more raw meat than the US, so if the restaurant was in a widely multi-cultural city (DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc) sales would be quite good. Heck, many of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants (which seem to be everywhere nowadays) serve several raw meat dishes. I never have problems finding raw meat, nearly every city (especially those near a coast) have sushi bars and raw bars all over the place. One tip is to look for "older" steakhouses (ones that have been in business for over 50 years) or for foreign-run steakhouses. Those almost all serve raw meat.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Well, I wouldn't serve raw meat like *you* pictured; I'd serve it like *I* pictured. Like most good quality Italian restaurants or steak houses currently do. Since many good quality restaurants *already* serve raw beef, I don't see how sales are so bad...

In addition to carpaccio, some other terms used on menus to describe raw meat are:

Braciola
    Ceviche
    Chee kufta
    Crudo
    Gored gored
    Kibbeh nayyeh
    Kitfo
    Mett
    Poke
    Sashimi
    Tartare
    Yukhoe

Most other parts of the world eat more raw meat than the US, so if the restaurant was in a widely multi-cultural city (DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc) sales would be quite good. Heck, many of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants (which seem to be everywhere nowadays) serve several raw meat dishes. I never have problems finding raw meat, nearly every city (especially those near a coast) have sushi bars and raw bars all over the place. One tip is to look for "older" steakhouses (ones that have been in business for over 50 years) or for foreign-run steakhouses. Those almost all serve raw meat.

I have heard that the charred part of BBQ'd meat can cause cancer. 'They' say that eating charred flesh isn't good for ones health. Although I prefer my steak rare to medium rare and also like:
   Sushi 
   Poke
   Sashimi
   Ceviche

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
Yup. I would add some seasoning, spices, and maybe some greens, but it looks good like that too.

Well, I wouldn't serve raw meat like *you* pictured;

so which one is it this time?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »

I would eat either one. If I was running a restaurant, I would spend some time preparing a meal, not just dumping food on a plate. Dumping food on a plate is what I would expect of a prison cafeteria, not a restaurant. Even if I would eat the first one, I wouldn't pay at a restaurant for food served that way. I could just go to my butcher and get it served to me that way, pay much less, and not have to leave a tip. Why would I pay extra for no extra service?

Is that the way you would run your restaurant? Throw it on a grill, dump it on a plate with no trimming, no side dishes, nothing to make it appear good? I'm pretty sure you will not have many customers if that's the way you serve your food. Is this going to be your server and service style?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »
It's been awhile since i had steak in a restaurant. I heard it taste different nowaday due to the new cooking medthods.
Ex. Steaks are partially precooked to cut dowm wait time.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »

Let me put it this way. If I go into a restaurant, and order "steak tartare" The could serve me this:

And, while that looks like a tasty cut of meat, and is technically what I ordered (raw steak), I would walk out refusing to pay. Not because what they served me was inedible in some way, but because I would feel insulted that they didn't bother to spend any time catering to my taste or presenting the dish in a pleasant manner - which is what I go to a restaurant for...

This is what I would expect when ordering steak tartare:

Or this:

Or this:

And yes, steak tartare is many times served with raw eggs as well. Just like pasta carbonara usually has a raw egg stirred into the sauce just before being served - eggs taste best when raw or very lightly cooked as well.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
It's been awhile since i had steak in a restaurant. I heard it taste different nowaday due to the new cooking medthods.
Ex. Steaks are partially precooked to cut dowm wait time.

I would never visit a steakhouse a second time if they "pre-cooked" my steak. In a good quality steakhouse, you should be able to see your meat before it's trimmed and cooked. Many quality steakhouses will actually bring a cutting tray to your table and have you pick out your exact cut, doing the trimming and prep work right in front of you. Then it's taken back into the kitchen, seasoned, and cooked to your specification (in my case almost always "rare" - just a bit of sear on the outside for flavor, and the inside still raw and cool). Actually, when I'm asked how it should be cooked, I almost always say "as little as possible". Only when I'm in a place that might have questionable meat - Appleby's, Texas Steakhouse, Outback, etc - I order it medium rare - which should have a center temp of about 140-150 - enough to kill off most common meat taints, but not enough to change the flavor significantly.