Author Topic: dangers of eating your greens  (Read 9044 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: dangers of eating your greens
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Ok
All the steak talk made me forget how to order a steak
Is medium well when it's pink inside but has the maximum tenderness
Rare is not maximum tenderness or is it really about the quality of the steak?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
Ok
All the steak talk made me forget how to order a steak
Is medium well when it's pink inside but has the maximum tenderness
Rare is not maximum tenderness or is it really about the quality of the steak?

I would say the rarer the more tender and the more well done the tougher it is.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2011, 05:19:13 PM »
kimba i find it "all depends"
some people like quantity over quality in a steak
also some people think price as a deciding factor
personally I prefer filet mignon
because i like quality over quantity...
even if it's much smaller....i like tender over toughness
many of my friends think the filet mignon looks too small
they want a "big old t-bone"....
heck when I try I piece of there's to me it is tough as a boot
but to each his own
many say I eat like a bird...
unless it is gummy bears
then I eat like a big fat slob!

ps: I cant stand prime rib!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:27:17 PM by Christians4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
I don't find rare that tender,something abit above that is more easier the eat.
I pan cook my steak by medium heat, wait for the blood to show then flip it over then wait for the blood the show again then it's at maximum tenderness.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
I don't find rare that tender,something abit above that is more easier the eat.
I pan cook my steak by medium heat, wait for the blood to show then flip it over then wait for the blood the show again then it's at maximum tenderness.

Then you're buying low quality meat. If it takes a lot of cooking to get it tender, then it has too much connective tissue, or hasn't been aged long enough for the enzymes to break down the connective tissue. Also, if you insist on buying lower quality meat, you can dry age it yourself to make it more tender; Alton Brown shows how to do this in one of his beef episodes, and there are many other sources.

Degree of cooking guide
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Hmm
It may explain i had the toughest prime rib in my life last week. The cafe may of gotten it from a questionable source. It's. In chinatown so very likely

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »

I havn't tried this yet , but I like the idea, it should be impossible to overcook anything this way even if one were to allow very long cooking times. The sealed pouches are immersed in precicely tempreture controlled water so that the cooking is accomplished at the lowest possible tempreture, if the cooking goes on a little long it can't dry it out .

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/thermal-immersion-circulators

http://www.LasVegasFoodTV.com/ Sous Vide means is French for "under vacuum". The ingredients are put into vacuum sealed pouches and dropped into hot water in the Immersion Circulator. The meat and ingredients are cooked slowly and the air tight seal locks in the flavors. In modern times it is believed that Georges Pralus rediscovered this method of cooking in the mid-1970s for the Restaurant Troisgros in Roanne, France. The foie gras they cooked using this method retained it's texture, consistency, fat, and most importantly, it's flavor.
Immersion Circulator Sous-Vide Style Cooking Spring Chicken in the Immersion Circulator

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
Plane,

That looks interesting and possibly very delicious. My only concern would be is anything leaching out of the plastic which could cause some health concerns? The low cooking temps could mean that the plastic might be OK and not melt, thus releasing toxins into the food. I know that putting plastic on top of things and cooking in the microwave is supposed to be unhealthy, again, because of the plastic contaminates the food with toxins.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/09/carlisle_man_accused_of_eating.html

A Carlisle man is accused of eating raw meat at the borough's Walmart and putting the opened packages back on the shelves.

Employees told police they saw Scott T. Shover, 53, of the 100 block of Noble Avenue, eat from several packages without paying about 2:40 p.m. Monday. The meat was valued at $24.53, police said.

Loss prevention staff and a manager followed Shover out of the store and notified a nearby police officer.

Shover was taken into custody, police said. Because of four prior retail theft convictions, Shover was charged with felony retail theft.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Plastic is a degree issue. True toxins are getting into foods,but is it enough to be a true concern?
More likely this process will fall into no concern since no plastics recalls been made from plastics contaminations from foods eaten in the fifties.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
Plastic is a degree issue. True toxins are getting into foods,but is it enough to be a true concern?
More likely this process will fall into no concern since no plastics recalls been made from plastics contaminations from foods eaten in the fifties.

don't count on no recalls meaning no health problems or concerns for you. the government doesn't tell you anything bad about harmful products that lobbyists & politicians have interests in. many municipal water supplies are suspect yet the government will happily allow you to consume various toxins and not let you know about it. your exposure to bad stuff i.e. that is regulated by the government is all subject to the amount of corruption within the chain of people, agencies, politicians involved, and lastly $$$ involved. A billion dollar product can easily be deemed 'safe' with a well placed bribe.

Do you understand that fact? And with morality gone down the tubes combined, with a me me me attitude and a society that is immersed in material wealth the chances are greater than at any other time in our history for you & me to get exposed to bad consumer products because of the greed and total disregard for other people and their well being.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

I don't know enough about plastics to comment without a Google search first.

Looks as though there are hundreds of formulas of plastic , some do leach some of their components into food, drugs or drink depending on circumstances of heat or reactance with the ambient and its contents.

What harm this might be doing is poorly measured, some of this effect is recently discovered.

One of the surprising things I found is that bacteria are more and more being discovered eating plastic, this might be a good way to reduce the mass of the problem, or it might be a new way for the plastic components to enter the food chain.

Some plastic might leach phenol or metal into food but some are better than others. I think that if a plastic were chosen for its resistance to food chemistry and heat, Sous Vide could be quite safe as a way to cook, also metal and glass containers could be made to work, no more difficult than canning. 

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol_A

I don't know enough about plastics to comment without a Google search first.

Looks as though there are hundreds of formulas of plastic , some do leach some of their components into food, drugs or drink depending on circumstances of heat or reactance with the ambient and its contents.

What harm this might be doing is poorly measured, some of this effect is recently discovered.

One of the surprising things I found is that bacteria are more and more being discovered eating plastic, this might be a good way to reduce the mass of the problem, or it might be a new way for the plastic components to enter the food chain.

Some plastic might leach phenol or metal into food but some are better than others. I think that if a plastic were chosen for its resistance to food chemistry and heat, Sous Vide could be quite safe as a way to cook, also metal and glass containers could be made to work, no more difficult than canning.

Actually certain cookware can be harmful to your health. Some Non stick pans emit toxins into the air and the food. Aluminum is suspect in Alzheimer.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Identify plastic according to its composition.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 11:33:21 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Identify plastic according to its composition.

If made in China do the Chinese give a rip about the end user?