Author Topic: A war on teachers' rights is a war on teachers.  (Read 6422 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A war on teachers' rights is a war on teachers.
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
If the government comes and takes away all your damn guns, I bet you'd call it a"war on gunowners".

Denying teachers the right to organize and collectively bargain is a war on teachers in just the same way.

And teachers' unions are not the cause of students not being prepared for college, as I have exhaustively explained.

If you are too damned stupid to recognize that, then stay ignorant. It seems to suit you, anyway.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A war on teachers' rights is a war on teachers.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »
No, its not.  There is no right to a teacher's union.  So, no its not in the same way, in any way.  I realize this effort to change the nomenclature, to try and make it about teachers vs what it really is, unions.  An effort to illicit more public support, since who would be "anti-teacher".  It's like how the left is trying to make abortion being anti-choice, or a war on women, when its really all about abortion

Keep trying......spin that wheel Professor Hamster

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »
There is no right to a teacher's union.

I think there is a right to unionize, and to join a union. See the first amendment.

I don't think that it is or should be a requirement.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:33:03 AM »
I have actually no problem with Unions.  I do have a BIG problem with Public Unions, since its our tax dollars that pay for the employees, and when you have this egregious effort to bank roll politicians, who then push pensions and salaries in quid pro quo fashion, again its our tax dollars that have to pay for the Greece-like overreach. 

And to be honest, this isn't a 1st amendment issue, since no one is claiming they can't speak up against Government or can't advocate certain government policies and/or politicians.  Not sure why you'd think it was
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:51:56 PM »
Why do unions not have a reputation for constructiveness?

Is the day that a Union could be a positive thing done?

What keeps a school board from telling a union "no" now and then if the unions demands are too costly?

It is rediculous to not set a place at the table for a teachers representative when planning and budgeting are being considered.

I also think it rediculous for Government to legislate a monopoly on education for itself.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
governmentn don`t have a monopoly on education. they do have control on affordable education.

i`m pretty sure the power of teachers union is not as powerful as perceived. I`ve never once hear any complaint about teachers course material caused by unions. but I often hear complaints about whats taught in schools.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »
Government has a monopoly on -subsidised- education.

Untill you get past the middle of the middle class most of us can't afford most private schools.

If there were a Voucher system which was redeemable by any school , the bottom of the barrell schools would expire with the same regularity as substandard reastraunts.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
here student are asigned by location . making families trying to live near desired schools unfortunately the one top school only accept students with a 4.0 GPA until some crazy law was made to allow non-asian students to get in with a much lower GPA.

at least private schools is not based on race but on income ensuring very few asian students attending those schools.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
I also think it rediculous for Government to legislate a monopoly on education for itself.
]
It does not do this. No one is compelled to send their children to public schools. There are parochial schools, private schools and home schooling. The only requirement is that children be educated.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
]
It does not do this. No one is compelled to send their children to public schools. There are parochial schools, private schools and home schooling. The only requirement is that children be educated.

Reguardless your choice , they make you pay for the monopoly school , and the monopoly school has no reason to ever change or improve.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 08:14:26 PM »
The government supported schools are NOT a monopoly. I know a lot of public school teachers and have taught for years in public high schools, and I assure you that I have always given the best effort that I could, and so did the other teachers I worked with.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
The government supported schools are NOT a monopoly. I know a lot of public school teachers and have taught for years in public high schools, and I assure you that I have always given the best effort that I could, and so did the other teachers I worked with.

I have been an unhappy customer in such schools.

Whenever I failed it was assumed that I had failed.

I can take your word for your level of effort.

But my experience was as a person stuck on a conveyor belt which was usually too slow , but whenever it was not too slow it was too fast.

As a student I was certainly forced to waste 80% of my time I was so bored I wasted the other 20% volentarily.

I had teachers who tried to do well by me , but how far apart from the standard could they go just for me?

Once a teacher gave me a copy of "Catcher in the Rye" and questioned me closely the next day. I told him I thought the protagonist was extremely stupid. I understood years later that he was trying to make contact with me through my alienation, but the protagonist in the book was alienated in a way entirely diffrent from me, I didn't know what the point of the book was even a little bit. I was not looking for a place to fit in. I was looking for a shape to take and I was resentfull of all the shapes I was being offered to take.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:02:04 PM »
And to be honest, this isn't a 1st amendment issue, since no one is claiming they can't speak up against Government or can't advocate certain government policies and/or politicians.  Not sure why you'd think it was

I didn't bring up the speech clause of the first amendment, so feel free to burn that strawman down.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I'm pretty sure you can figure which clause affirmed by Scotus Precedent i am basing my argument upon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 02:27:50 AM »
Actually, no I can't.  Please highlight the specific reference if it wasn't free speech or peacefully assemble, since that too is not being argued against

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
Bingo.

The right to peacefully assemble.