Author Topic: It starts at home...  (Read 8724 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It starts at home...
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:31:08 AM »
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article919476.ece
         In what was estimated to be the largest crowd to ever attend a Kenneth City Council meeting, an outraged group of residents railed at the proposal that would regulate the upkeep of both the exterior and interior of all property in the town.

The proposal basically sets standards for upkeep and appearance and gives town officials the right to enter homes. If the owner refuses to allow the official to enter, the town can go to a judge for an "administrative search warrant" to allow access to the interior of buildings. Violations would cost up to $250 a day.

Angry residents likened the proposal to rules created by Communist or Nazi dictatorships. One person said the result would be to create a network of spies to snitch on neighbors to council members and other town officials. Someone suggested the town should change its name from Kenneth City to "Petty City."

Just think about that for a moment. Think about that in your city or town. Someone comes up to your door and insists you must let him or her in so they can see whether or not your house is neat enough. And if you don't let them, they can get a warrant to let them into your home to decide whether they like they way you keep and decorate your home. Obviously someone thinks this is a good idea. "As it is, the ordinance is a virtual copy of others in places like Fort Walton Beach and Belleair Beach." Is this really where we as a country are headed? I have little doubt this sort of local ordinance will spread, just like the cookie cutter house neighborhoods with burdensome HAs. Is this really what we want our country to be?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: It starts at home...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
This is outrageous and a violation of privacy.

It is bad enough that a municipality can tell you what colors you can paint your house and what color your roof must be.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
You would think Government would have more important things to focus our limited resources on         >:(
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 01:41:18 PM »
groan

the bad part for me this sounds like something my town would do.
the solution is to find a way for the inspectors to go the wealthy houses 1st.
that`s how alot of crazy ordinance get cancelled in my town
the fastest way cancel a law is to make sure rich people get annoyed.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
Absolutely outrageous.

I really think there must be more to the story.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »
This is one of those filler stories. Local government run amuck. And they do get carried away sometimes, believe me I know.

But consider this.

Is it a frontal assault on liberty to require that homes be built to minimum safety standards as prescribed in building codes?

Is it a frontal assault on liberty to require a working septic or plumbing system so that raw sewage is not puddled in your yard or your neighbors yards or migrating into the water table?

Is it an assault on liberty to require minimum standards for animal housing so that cat ladies do not collect thousands of kitties and live in dwellings feet deep in feline feces?

Reasonable people might agree that these are worthy ordinances.

But when these ordinances are reviewed by committees what comes in as a horse often comes out as a zebra.

Imagine this forum trying to come up with an housing standard ordinance. That gives you an idea what council can be like.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:51:57 PM by BT »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »
Sure, there are minimal standards, as you mentioned, but giving the police the right to invade a person's home to inspect their housekeeping is a violation of privacy.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Is it a violation to investigate a foul odor?

perhaps a decomposing corpse or the aforementioned kitties?

richpo64

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
>>It is bad enough that a municipality can tell you what colors you can paint your house and what color your roof must be.<<

I've never heard of such a thing. I live in a community that have covenants and restrictions. I agreed to them by moving in however I've never heard of a city doing what you describe.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
but what are the indoor requirements ?
do they expect everybody to have a plasma
outdoor is onething but if they require something that differs from when the house was purchased ,than wouldn`t it be a financial burden and the city sho?uld be made to pay for it

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »

This is one of those filler stories. Local government run amuck. And they do get carried away sometimes, believe me I know.

But consider this.

Is it a frontal assault on liberty to require that homes be built to minimum safety standards as prescribed in building codes?

Is it a frontal assault on liberty to require a working septic or plumbing system so that raw sewage is not puddled in your yard or your neighbors yards or migrating into the water table?

Is it an assault on liberty to require minimum standards for animal housing so that cat ladies do not collect thousands of kitties and live in dwellings feet deep in feline feces?

Reasonable people might agree that these are worthy ordinances.

Then again, reasonable people might not. Reasonable people might ask minimum safety standards according to whom? Reasonable people might ask why it's their business if someone else wants to live in cat feces. I'm not saying there are not some ordinances that make sense. The one about plumbing to protect property and the water table, that's fine. However, appearance inspectors who decide whether the inside and outside of one's house is acceptable is not reasonable. I'm sure who ever decided it was needed meant well. Folks who come up with this stuff always mean well, or think they do. But this isn't some good idea that got mangled in committee. This is a bad idea from the start. This is nosiness turned into law.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
Judging by your response i am not sure whether you are for or against local building codes. Are you?

I am also not sure whether you understand a house full of feces affects not only the dweller but public safety officials called to the scene because of a fire or medical emergency.

Would you say a precautionary ordinance reflecting this reality is also out of line.

What's the adage? Your rights end where my nose begins?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:58:07 PM »
BT on a similiar note one of my goals is to move into a gated community with strict HOA rules.

I currently live within a homeowners association but it's not gated, but after a few
more years of hard work I would like to move into a strict gated community with a strong HOA.

My current HOA doesn't allow some half-wit to paint their house purple,
park cars on the street, or place pink flamingos in their yards that will drop
home values and I am very happy they don't allow such non-sense.

People should read HOA rules before they move in and if they don't like the rules
that maintain home values in that particular community then don't buy a house
within that homeowners association! Take your trailer trash some place else!

uh no, i dont think so!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »
HOA's have a lot more leeway in restrictions that municipalities do. The good thing is the covenants are known when the purchaser buys. That's not the case in  city or town. Best of luck in your pursuit of moving uptown, I know a lot of hard work went into it.

The sad part is most city ordinance contradict each other, and usually the only one who wins is the city attorney.

richpo64

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »
 :D

That house looks like half the houses in Parma.

Well, I didn't see a chrome ball, but not every DP can afford one of those.