Author Topic: Famousd Texan denied voter ID card. Guess which Party he belongs to.  (Read 1929 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Because a 90 year old man is trying to game the system, right?

But here is the real problem:

But after the difficulty he had this weekend getting a proper ID card, Wright, 90, expressed concern that such problems could deter others from voting and stifle turnout. After spending much of his life fighting to make it easier to vote, the Democratic Party icon said he is troubled by what he’s seeing happen under the state’s new voter ID law.

“I earnestly hope these unduly stringent requirements on voters won’t dramatically reduce the number of people who vote,” Wright told the Star-Telegram. “I think they will reduce the number to some extent.”

Wright and his assistant, Norma Ritchson, went to the DPS office on Woodway Drive to get a State of Texas Election Identification Certificate. Wright said he realized earlier in the week that the photo identifications he had — a Texas driver’s license that expired in 2010 and a TCU faculty ID — do not satisfy requirements of the voter ID law, enacted in 2011 by the Legislature. DPS officials concurred.

Not everyone will have the resources, or knowledge, that Wright has to overcome these obstacles. And Wright puts it very well:

We want to make sure that every eligible Texan who wants to cast a ballot can,” Pierce said. “We want to help any Texan who needs additional information."

Wright, who said he has voted in every election since 1944, lamented that such help is called for.

“From my youth I have tried to expand the elections,” Wright said. “I pushed to abolish the poll tax. I was the first to come out for lowering the voting age to 18.”

The state put up these obstacles in the first place- now they are 'concerned' to make sure everyone can overcome them. They have 'solved' non-existent voter fraud problems by creating actual problems.

Why should the fact that his driver's license has expired?  How does that change who he is?
The Republican'ts in the legislature are to blame for this.

Who else?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
And this wouldn't effect ANY political party person, with an expired driver's license??  Lesson learned, don't let your Driver's license expire, regardless of what party you lean towards
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Famousd Texan denied voter ID card. Guess which Party he belongs to.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:38:23 PM »
You don't need a drivers license to vote in Texas. You can also use:
   A Texas Election Identification Certificate
   A Texas personal identification card
   A Texas concealed handgun license
   US miliary ID with photograph
   US citizenship certificate with photograph
   US passport

The ID used must be current or not have expired more than 60 days before being presented.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 01:44:52 PM »
And how hard is any of that?  Listening to xo and this 90year old Democrat, you'd think you had to pass a kidney stone to get a voter ID card

Lesson learned, don't let ANY of your valid ID forms expire, regardless of what party you lean towards
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
It's bullshit. How does an expired driver's license prove you are not who you always were.

Have you ever seen a "US citizenship certificate with photo"?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
Don't need one....I have a Driver's license.....THAT I KEEP CURRENT.  You only have to prove you are who you say you are to vote.  And that's they way it should be.

Or are you trying to claim that if Cu4's license were to expire, by his virtue of being a Republican, they'd let him vote anyways??

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
Of course, a Texas concealed handgun license would suffice...

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »
Every 90 years old man needs a concealed handgun.
Apparently Jim Wright has reached 90 without one, but you just never know.

My guess is that he does not have an updated driver's license because he does not drive. He is 90.

What the Hell is a "US citizenship certificate with a photo"?
Have you ever seen one? Have you ever HEARD of one?

Apparently a photo student ID from any of the many Texas universities is not good enough. I have seen these.

It is ironic that the well-known former speaker of the US House of Representatives is not qualified to vote.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:25:25 PM »
My Father in law is 91, and he drives, with a valid license.  And you don't have to have a weapon in order to get a photo ID, as there are other, pretty simple means.  Point being, there's no disenfranchisement, as any issue in getting a photo ID crosses all party lines

Lesson learned when voting..... don't let ANY of your valid ID forms expire, regardless of what party you lean towards

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 05:32:10 PM »
As I reread what X posted, I never did see where he mentioned what the difficulty was. Was he harrassed? Not given proper assistance with any physical infirmities he might have had? What was it, exactly, that made him and/or his assistant feel unduly put out?                               

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
oh boooh whoooo

look at all the things you need a photo ID for....

it must be racism that causes this!

You need an photo ID to open a bank account, or to apply for a job to fill that bank account.
You also need an ID to file for unemployment, and to apply for welfare, and Medicaid, and food stamps.
You need a photo ID to apply for Social Security.
You need a photo ID buy a home, and apply for a mortgage, or to rent a home.
You need a photo ID to drive a car, you need one to buy a new car, to buy a used car, heck, you even need one to rent a car.
You need a photo ID to get on an airplane, and you need one to get married
You need a photo ID to buy a gun, and to apply for a hunting license and a fishing license
You need a photo ID to to buy certain kinds of cold medicine, and you need one to donate blood.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
As I reread what X posted, I never did see where he mentioned what the difficulty was. Was he harrassed? Not given proper assistance with any physical infirmities he might have had? What was it, exactly, that made him and/or his assistant feel unduly put out?                             

The implication is that other people may not be "smart enough" to figure out what they might have to do, if in a similar circumstance as an expired driver's license, when readying themselves to vote.  They may not have the where-with-all to figure it out, and thus just not go thru the hassle.........ergo, they've been disenfranchised

The more egregious implication is the ongoing inferrence that minorities just aren't as smart as caucasion folk

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
   I would say it is more than implied , it is assumed to be the case .

The simpler and cheaper and much more useful Democratic response would be to energize and mobilize their community , use their considerable resources and manpower to ensure that everyone who had ever registered as a Dem was visited by a volunteer who could drive them down to the offices where IDs are issued , and PAY THE COST!

In less than a month they would run out of Democrats to serve this way and would have to start hauling in Republican voters who do not have ID IF THEY COULD FIND ONE.

This would not only defeat any voter suppression that voter ID might ever cause , but it would be good for Democratic morale and would make life easier for everyone that they helped get good ID for , lacking ID is much more debilitating than just making it hard to vote.

Lacking a good ID is hard to cope with for those who  live in civilization, the person who gets served to have an ID after not having one will probably enjoy an improvement in standard of living.

The people thus served will probably vote gratefully Democratic, but that is fine with me as long as it is just once per.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:00:41 PM »
I just thought that this was ironic.

I would wager that Jim Wright is very rarely, if ever, asked for ID.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »
I just thought that this was ironic.

I would wager that Jim Wright is very rarely, if ever, asked for ID.

If I were cashing Jim Wrights check.

I would want to see Jim Wrights ID.