Author Topic: Penn & Teller on Walmart  (Read 7471 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Penn & Teller on Walmart
« on: March 02, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
WARNING: strong language and nudity...

Part 1/3

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vioWgolslm0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:51:29 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Penn & Teller on Walmart
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
Part 2/3

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vz3_YSiAu8s[/youtube]
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »
Part 3/3

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hvMym0KnDAQ[/youtube]

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »
OK, that was well worth the time to watch.  I know that Wally World has its problems and if Ark was around he would catalog them, but I kinda like the idea of low prices and convenience.  I choose to shop there because I save a lot of money. 

I love the Tee-shirt makers.  Old people are the bottom of the barrel.  Damn those old people!  Don't they know they are supopsed to retire and go on social security or just die?  If they keep providing for themselves, they'll make the rest of us look bad.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Very well-done and entertaining.  Best fascist agitprop I've seen in a long time.

Their excuses for union-busting were hilarious.  As if Wal-Mart or anyone else could just load their unionization pay-raises onto the backs of their faithful customers.  Don't those fuck-heads realize that their faithful customers come to them for their low prices in the first place, and that if they saddle them with union wage raises, it's only a matter of time before some enterprising young shop-keeper sets up a shop closer to home that the customers won't have to burn a quarter-tank a week to visit?  Most likely the costs of union wages would come from the obscene profit margins that Wal-Mart owners and senior execs are gouging out of revenues and not from the customers at all.  But we'll never know for sure because Penn and Teller were very careful not to let out a peep about Wal-Mart profits, despite all of the detailed info on Wal-Mart wages.  Funny, huh?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 02:03:04 PM »
it's only a matter of time before some enterprising young shop-keeper sets up a shop closer to home that the customers won't have to burn a quarter-tank a week to visit?

Don't you mean "sets up a non-union shop"?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »
<<Don't you mean "sets up a non-union shop"?>>

How many union shops do you know of where the boss and his family work hands-on alongside maybe half a dozen employees?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
How many union shops do you know of where the boss and his family work hands-on alongside maybe half a dozen employees?

I guess that doesn't happen in "Amerikkka" - isn't that right? No mom and pop type places where the owner works alongside the employees?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:22:44 PM »
<<I guess that doesn't happen in "Amerikkka" - isn't that right? No mom and pop type places where the owner works alongside the employees?>>

Happens all over the world.  Amerikkka didn't invent the model.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Happens all over the world.  Amerikkka didn't invent the model.

And yet, you've never eaten in a mom and pop restaurant in your life (except in Cuba)...

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 04:40:51 PM »
<<And yet, you've never eaten in a mom and pop restaurant in your life (except in Cuba)...>>

That's not true at all.  Most of the places I've eaten breakfast in in Toronto were mom & pop Greek restaurants.  They're the best breakfasts, best value for money and a great atmosphere too.

(I'm just trying to figure out which one of my posts you might have twisted into this whopper.)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »
That's not true at all.  Most of the places I've eaten breakfast in in Toronto were mom & pop Greek restaurants.  They're the best breakfasts, best value for money and a great atmosphere too.

And the owners don't do any work at these mom and pops?

(I'm just trying to figure out which one of my posts you might have twisted into this whopper.)

I guess if you're talking one-man restaurant where the boss does it all, he's a worker.  I've never eaten in any place like that in my life, so I have to wonder what planet you guys are living on. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
D'OH
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »
OK, this is pretty basic for most normal human beings, but I'll spell it out for you and your acolyte - - a one-man restaurant where the boss does all the work himself is a place I never have eaten in in my life.  As stated in my post.

A Greek mom-and-pop restaurant operated by a husband and wife is a good description of several great Toronto restaurants, Windfields, The Good Bite, Seniors, a little place that closed down years ago near my office that I can't even remember the name of - - they're generic small Greek restaurants wit $5 or $6 breakfast specials, good lunches, the boss, his wife, their daughter or son, a son-in-law or daughter-in-law, maybe a couple of long-time waitresses - - that's a mom & pop restaurant as far as I'm concerned, although to the literal-minded but extremely stupid, it might appear that mom and pop have no  one at all to help out.

If you disagree, I propose putting it to the members:  does "mom and pop" restaurant imply a strictly two-person operation, or can mom and pop have some help and yet the operation if small enough would still be characterized as "mom & pop?"

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
OK, this is pretty basic for most normal human beings, but I'll spell it out for you and your acolyte - - a one-man restaurant where the boss does all the work himself is a place I never have eaten in in my life.  As stated in my post.

Well, you were responding to MY post where I described a restaurant owned by a person who worked in the shop, doing what ever needed to be done - cooking, greeting customers, running the register, etc. All typical of mom and pop shops. You were the one trying to make an extreme, apparently.