Author Topic: Stark Apologizes To President Bush  (Read 2635 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stark Apologizes To President Bush
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »

STARK APOLOGIZES

From NBC's Mike Viqueira - Oct 23, 2007

Embattled Democrat Pete Stark has just publicly apologized to "the president and his family."

He took the floor after his fellow Democrats successfully killed a motion to censure him in the wake of his remarks last Thursday asserting that American troops were fighting in Iraq to have their "heads blown off for the president's amusement."

"I want to apologize to my colleagues, many of whom I have offended," Stark began.

He then apologized to "the president and his family" and "the troops."

"I hope that with this apology, I return to being as insignificant as I should be," he concluded through a voice cracking with emotion.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/23/426367.aspx
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Stark Apologizes To President Bush
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:57:35 PM »
Wow, another spineless Democrat.  What did they have to threaten or promise to get that one out of him?  The Democratic Party is rotten to the core.  They should have stood behind Stark in a solid phalanx and told the "President" and his fascist accomplices to shove it where the sun don't shine.

I have no hope at all for Amerikkka.  None at all.  Zero.  In fact, I hope that they get another Republican administration.  It is EXACTLY what they deserve.  Too bad they can't give the Bushster a third term.  Really.  And then three terms for Cheney, one after another.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
What did they have to threaten or promise to get that one out of him?

Michael they said Stark was all choked up during his apology.
It appears Representative Stark is sincerely sorry for his disgraceful comment.
I applaud him for apologizing.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
Too bad they can't give the Bushster a third term.  Really.  And then three terms for Cheney, one after another.

Couldn't afford it.

"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »
Too bad they can't give the Bushster a third term.  Really.  And then three terms for Cheney, one after another.

Couldn't afford it.

Hmmm, "got layed off" despite unemployment #'s record lows under Bush
"Gasoline thru the roof", though when adjusted for inflation is far less than it was in the late 70's
"House repossessed", though home ownership highest level ever, and many of the reposessions due to folks who took out gambling variable interest rates that took off, and nothing at all to do with Bush
And the back of my Jeep was agreat place to camp out

Perspective is everything, isn't it     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:53:11 PM »
<<Michael they said Stark was all choked up during his apology.
I applaud him for apologizing.>>

He mighta bin all choked up, CU4, but that coulda bin due to any number of causes.  I gotta tell you, he let me down big-time when he apologized.  In my eyes now, he's just a punk.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 03:01:31 AM »
<<Michael they said Stark was all choked up during his apology.
I applaud him for apologizing.>>

He mighta bin all choked up, CU4, but that coulda bin due to any number of causes.  I gotta tell you, he let me down big-time when he apologized.  In my eyes now, he's just a punk.

This is very subjective isn't it?

There is an old saying that one sould always make sure that ones words are sweet so hat it won't be so hard to eat them later.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 03:57:48 AM »
There are really two ways to look at this.  One is that Stark is sincerely sorry about his rather immature comments and has chosen to own up to them.  That's all well and good, and if so God bless him for it.  But another is that this is the equivalent of an attorney making a damning statement in front of a jury and then withdrawing it when the opposing counsel objects.  Legally, the withdrawal may well negate the foul, but the damage is still done.

Frankly, I would have more respect if Stark had said something along the lines of "I am sorry that I offended people, including the President and others.  I let my emotions get the better of me and I shouldn't have.  But I do not apologize for feeling that it is just as important to our national well-being to make quality medical care available to all of our children as it is to protect them from terrorists."   I, of course, completely disagree with Stark's opinion anyway, but at least he should have the courage of his convictions.  Even if you accept (and I will concede the possibility) that Stark felt it was inappropriate to preach during an apology, his self-pitying "insignificant" comment was simple wimpery.  (If "wimpery" is not a word, it should be!)
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »
You can't unring a bell.  I'm glad he said what he did, I'm sorry he was forced evidently to apologize.  Wrong move on leadership's part.  I don't hold it against him. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 05:29:37 PM »
Stark's comments were extremely hypothetical. He said that the poor children whose healthcare was vetoed by Juniorbush were welcome to grow up, join the military, and get their heads blown off for Juniorbush's amusement. It was a major spiel of hyperbole, and should have been taken as such by everyone.

I do think that Juniorbush cares more about his buddies in the oligarchy being able to profit from Iraqi oil and his other oligarch buddies in the defense industry making humongeous profits on his vile warmongering ventures than he cares about some kid at 150% of being legally poor suffering a month from a respiratory infection and infecting the rest of his home room than actually seeing a doctor because THAT would be 'socialized medicine'.

He is just a shill for the oligarchy. He knew the job was dangerous when he took it, and I won't think he has received his just desserts until someone splats him in the face with a lemon merangue pie on primetime teevee.

It would be better still if Cheney and Rummy were also simultaneously pied. They are the Moe, Shemp and Larry of incompetence. No one has ever deserved this more.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »

Couldn't afford it.

Hmmm, "got layed off" despite unemployment #'s record lows under Bush
"Gasoline thru the roof", though when adjusted for inflation is far less than it was in the late 70's
"House repossessed", though home ownership highest level ever, and many of the reposessions due to folks who took out gambling variable interest rates that took off, and nothing at all to do with Bush
And the back of my Jeep was agreat place to camp out

Perspective is everything, isn't it     ;)

I am sure that perspective helps those afraid to answer their phones and running out of food and money before their McDonald's check comes in. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 09:01:31 PM »
LOL...............what?       ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle