Author Topic: Religion and culture behind Texas execution tally  (Read 2203 times)

yellow_crane

Re: Religion and culture behind Texas execution tally
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 09:07:39 PM »
There is too much sentimental bullshit floating around about "all human life is sacred."  How can this be?  A Nazi is "sacred?"  A fucking cockroach has a better right to live.  People are what they have become in life, saints, executioners, nebbishes, petty annoyances, KKK cross-burners, party animals, etc.  There is a kind of spectrum from people whose lives enhance human existence to those who are a bane upon it, whom the earth would be better off without.   The sooner we lose our scruples about eliminating the negative end of the spectrum, the better.  IMHO.

People repent. People change.

Even if they don't, one difference between my "sentimental bullshit" and the Nazis is that I do respect human life, even theirs. Prisoners are people too, whether you like them or not.

In this sense you are no different than Sirs dehumanizing the prisoners at Guantanamo. You're no different than the Nazi dehumanizing the "negative end of the spectrum" in the Jews and Romani. You just define the "negative end" differently.

Sometimes, you can be so sicky-sweet GOOD, you are no earthly good.

Let the justice system do it's thing and let God sort 'em out after that.

And suppose that all those who '"let" the justice system do its thing' should come before God--would God then have noting to say to the "letters?" 

Do you see a hanging judge as the meaningful quintessence of 'justice' created by God?

It seems to me that Jesus often complained of  just this sort of complicent compliance, challenging his disciples in regard to their laying aournd, belly-up.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:08:49 AM »

Well, some people dehumanize the right people and some people dehumanize the wrong people, I guess is the bottom line.

And of course, those doing the dehumanizing, they always dehumanize the right people.

I don't even agree with "dehumanize" as a proper term here

Yes, I'm sure you don't.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

gipper

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 04:44:02 AM »
JS, as to your "casual" tendency to forgive Nazis, may I recommend the book "The Sunflower" by Simon Wiesenthal, the concentration camp survivor and Nazi hunter, who relates an encounter he had with a dying, young SS man while on guarded work detail beyond his camp's confines. Asked to forgive the young man's truly heinous crimes, after tending to him and reflexively offering the companionship of normal social intercourse, he remained silent upon parting -- failed to forgive in the terms sought -- an act that apparently was so conflict-ridden for him that he carried it with him long after his ordeal was over and wrote this book in which, after his rather poignant 100-page or so introduction, he invited a truly distinguished array of experts to comment on HIS actions. These truly revealing comments, both pro and con, of some of the world's leading thinkers on matters that touched this realm, was haunting. Ironically, one commentator, a man I greatly admire, the former president of my university, Notre Dame, the inimitable Father Theodore Hesburgh, in my opinion gave one of the weakest, least comprehensive answers, which reflected basic Catholic dogma that as a Catholic priest, he (Hesburgh) "was in the forgiving business."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »
<<And of course, those doing the dehumanizing, they always dehumanize the right people.>>

Nobody's infallible, domer.  We can all only try our best.  But I'm sure when I believe somebody deserves to be executed, I do so on much better grounds than the Nazi or the other individuals with whom I was being compared.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 05:16:30 PM »

<<And of course, those doing the dehumanizing, they always dehumanize the right people.>>

Nobody's infallible, domer.

Did you just confuse me for Domer? How does that happen?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »
<<Did you just confuse me for Domer? How does that happen?>>

Because I'm stupid.  Sorry, Prince.  Sorry, domer.