Author Topic: Capitalism  (Read 716 times)

BSB

Capitalism
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
There has never been a better system. Bitch, moan, and cry all you want, capitalism is here to stay.

Now, in exactly what form it will take in terms of governmental controls is the question that we're all searching for answer to right now. China was very smart. It let it happen slowly. It's moved the controls backward, forward again, and so forth. The model they used was Singapore I believe. Might have been Hong Kong, but I think it was Singapore. This is capitalism Asian style. How much of that model will be adopted by the rest of the world remains to be seen. But, unchecked, unbridled, very loosely controlled capitalism American style is over.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Capitalism
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 12:58:35 AM »
  What of capitilism Hong Kong style?

There is still a lot of government in the day to day life of a Chineese citizen but the government controll of business in China has already become a lighter touch than American businesses get.

BSB

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »
Now I'm not talking about governmental neglect here. That's not the type of lack of control I'm talking about.

I'm going to find the name of the Singaporean that's the father of the style of capitalism I'm talking about and put up some info on him. The Chinese went to him and used what they learned to open up their markets.

BSB

BSB

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:11:03 AM »
Google Lee Kuan Yew

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
It seems to me that capitalism, like communism, can exist in a variety of modes, some modes being more appropriate than others at different stages of a nation's political, social and/or economic development.  Russian communism, for example, went through successive phases of "war communism," Lenin's NEP and the series of Five Year Plans.  Fidel experimented with the failed mercados libres system in the 1980s.

One thing seems certain at this point in time, that American-style capitalism has failed.  Sure, the Treasury can patch the system together for one more lurch forward, but how long will it be before the next big war, the next new culmination of a slow build-up of capitalist economic criminality, again bring the financial system to a crashing stop, and how long will it be before the Treasury just won't be able to bail out the system one more time?

What's gonna happen, IMHO, is that the view now held by the OWS movement will gradually move to take over more and more of the wage-slaves' and debt-slaves' convictions - - the view being, they're being worked long past a proper retirement age, given far less vacation time than other workers get, paying more money to get less health care than other workers and why?  Because their totally corrupted government, which "can't afford" their benefits, tolerates business practices that in effect close down American factories to export jobs and prosperity to other countries at American workers' expense, engages in aggressive wars costing trillions of dollars, makes needless enemies (by the wars, by supporting Israel) that cost further hundreds of billions in "Homeland Security" and absolutely refuses to tax the rich and their properties at higher rates. 

When that "tipping point" is reached, there probably won't be a communist revolution but it will have to lead to a new form of more highly regulated capitalism, a legislature that no longer can represent special interests, a massive stripping of assets from the so-called "1%" for some kind of equitable redistribution and ultimately a more truly democratic form of government.  Maybe even some form of re-districting that gives more power and voice to regions rather than states - - the whole idea of a "state of Rhode Island" seems very anachronistic whatever the original rationalization may have been.