Author Topic: Cuba sees hypocritical U.S. freeing CIA-linked bomber  (Read 6204 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cuba sees hypocritical U.S. freeing CIA-linked bomber
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:05:44 PM »
By Anthony Boadle

HAVANA (Reuters) - "We have an explosion. We are descending immediately. We have fire on board!" the co-pilot of the Cuban airliner radioed the Barbados control tower before his crippled DC-8 plunged into the Caribbean sea on October 6, 1976.

The recording of Tomas Rodriguez's last words is repeatedly played on Cuban TV 30 years later as a reminder of what Cuba says was an act of terrorism that the United States, applying double standards, prefers to sweep under the carpet.

Luis Posada Carriles, a former CIA operative and one of the two anti-Castro Cuban exiles accused of plotting the bomb attack from Caracas, has been held in Texas since May, 2005 for illegally sneaking into the United States.

But Havana expects the man it labels "Latin America's bin Laden" to soon walk free because he has become a political hot potato for the Bush administration.

A Texas magistrate has recommended that he be released because he had not been designated a terrorist and cannot be held indefinitely on immigration charges. The U.S. Justice Department has yet to respond.

Meanwhile, the United States denied his extradition to Venezuela, Cuba's ideological ally, because it said he might face torture. He escaped from a jail there in 1985 while on trial for his role in the plane bombing that killed all 73 people aboard, including the junior Cuban fencing team.

Cuba's communist government is angry that U.S. authorities have held Posada merely on immigration charges and not linked him to a trail of violence that includes deadly bomb blasts in Havana hotels and assassination plots against Fidel Castro.

"The Bush administration wants to avoid a trial at all costs because someone will ask about the role of the CIA, and its director in 1976 was George Bush Sr," said Ricardo Alarcon, president of Cuba's National Assembly.

Alarcon said in an interview this week that declassified U.S. documents show the Central Intelligence Agency had prior knowledge of a plan by Posada and fellow anti-Castro militant Orlando Bosch to "hit" a Cuban civilian airliner.

Cuba and Venezuela accuse the United States of using double standards in the Posada case, given Washington's declared war on global terrorism since the September 11 attacks.

Alarcon said Washington tried to protect the 79-year-old Posada from Cuban and Venezuelan justice by having him deported to a third country.

But no other country was willing to give him asylum if he were deported, leading to the recommendation by a U.S. magistrate in El Paso, Texas, on September 11 that Posada, a naturalized Venezuelan, be released.

"PATRIOT" or "TERRORIST"?

Posada, who was trained as a sniper and explosives expert by the CIA for the failed Bay of Pigs invasion to topple Castro in 1961, has denied involvement in planting the suitcase bomb that ripped through Cubana flight 455.

In 1998 Posada told the New York Times he planned bomb attacks on Havana tourist spots that killed an Italian in 1997. He recalled a time when Cubans working for the CIA were viewed as "patriots" and acts of sabotage were not called terrorism.

"The CIA recruited, trained, financed and eventually unleashed him (Posada) on the world," said Peter Kornbluh, senior researcher at the National Security Archives, a public interest group located at George Washington University that obtained the declassified CIA documents on the plane bombing plot.

"Posada is a litmus test for President Bush's declaration that no nation can be allowed to harbor terrorists," Kornbluh said.

The ambiguous U.S. treatment to date of the Posada case has given Cuba fodder for anti-U.S. tirades and posters on Havana's Malecon seafront depict Bush and Posada as blood-thirsty Draculas.

"I can't believe this self-confessed terrorist will walk the streets of Miami a free man," Eliana Alfonso, whose father died on the airplane, said in Havana.

"We suffered like the families of those who died in the Twin Tower attacks," she said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-10-05T182706Z_01_N05184431_RTRUKOC_0_US-CUBA-BOMBING.xml&src=rss
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Cuba sees hypocritical U.S. freeing CIA-linked bomber
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:22:28 PM »
What is the evidence against him?

If it is substantial then we might ought to apply the label of terrorist to him and run his extradition through the corts.

Bombing an airliner like that ought to be considered an act of war , unless we are going to be at war we ought to discourage it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:59 PM »
<<Meanwhile, the United States denied his extradition to Venezuela, Cuba's ideological ally, because it said he might face torture.>>

That's HILARIOUS.  Why don't they have him "rendered" to Uzbekistan, then?

<<"We suffered like the families of those who died in the Twin Tower attacks," she said. >>

No.  That's wrong, see?  You suffered in Cuba.  THEY suffered in New York.

<<What is the evidence against him?>>

Geeze, I dunno.  What's the evidence against those poor buggers in Guantanamo?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:49:18 PM »
There doesn't need to be evidence in the case of a POW who is not charged with a crime.

But for us to hand a man to Cuba there ought to be some evidence.

If there is some evidence then we sould go on and extradite him to the country where the crime was committed.

This crime is just a crime if one guy did it , if it is done with US government approval it is more like an act of war.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 12:06:21 AM »
<<There doesn't need to be evidence in the case of a POW who is not charged with a crime.>>

They're not POWS, remember?

<<But for us to hand a man to Cuba there ought to be some evidence.>>

What about his admission to the New York Times reporter that he participated in the hotel bombing that killed an Italian tourist, isn't that "some evidence?"

<<If there is some evidence then we sould go on and extradite him to the country where the crime was committed.>>

That would be Cuba, where he killed the Italian tourist, or Venezuela, where the plane he bombed took off from (and where he escaped from jail while awaiting trial.)

<<This crime is just a crime if one guy did it , if it is done with US government approval it is more like an act of war.>>

Of course that's only because the USA, being a naturally virtuous country, couldn't approve or commit a criminal act.  If for example the WTC attacks had been done with the advance approval of the Afghan government, now that would be a crime.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
I just gotta say, on re-reading my last post, it is just INCREDIBLE how full of shit Americans are.  Do they believe the world is too fucking stupid to see this?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 12:12:01 AM »
<<This crime is just a crime if one guy did it , if it is done with US government approval it is more like an act of war.>>

Of course that's only because the USA, being a naturally virtuous country, couldn't approve or commit a criminal act.  If for example the WTC attacks had been done with the advance approval of the Afghan government, now that would be a crime.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I consider an act of war to be more serious than a crime , if this guy is guilty our approval would not lessen his guilt as much as it would make us all share it.

We cannot hand a felon over with no evidence , but once the evidence is made availible it ought to be taken seriously , anything less than real discouragement for acts of terror is just wrong .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:25 AM »
<<We cannot hand a felon over with no evidence , but once the evidence is made availible it ought to be taken seriously , anything less than real discouragement for acts of terror is just wrong .>>

As it happens, plane, the evidence is there, but for political reasons your government will do nothing to discourage this particular act of terror, and although that is "just wrong," it is just one wrong out of thousands that your government has committed and persists in committing.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »
I do not know the quality of the evidence , but the evidence is the stuff.

Acts of terrorism have to be discouraged  or we might as well just join "them".

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »
<<Acts of terrorism have to be discouraged  or we might as well just join "them".>>

Sometimes I think you are so close to getting it.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 01:48:46 AM »
There doesn't need to be evidence in the case of a POW who is not charged with a crime.

But for us to hand a man to Cuba there ought to be some evidence.

If there is some evidence then we sould go on and extradite him to the country where the crime was committed.

This crime is just a crime if one guy did it , if it is done with US government approval it is more like an act of war.

Take me now.  No don't, not til after the election dammit.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:47 AM »
<<Acts of terrorism have to be discouraged  or we might as well just join "them".>>

Sometimes I think you are so close to getting it.

Ha...

I never think this about you.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 02:10:27 AM »
"But for us to hand a man to Cuba there ought to be some evidence."

Or Cuba could do the heavy lifting themselves and go and get him. Think they will?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 08:35:39 PM »
Or Cuba could do the heavy lifting themselves and go and get him. Think they will?

Why should they have to 'go and get him'? He is already in custody here; they are, as we would in similar circumstances, asking for his extradition.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »
DId you read what you just typed?
"But for us to hand a man to Cuba there ought to be some evidence."
Jesus. 
Take me now.  No don't, not til after the election dammit. 

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

If you know what the evidence is , you are ahead of me , I do not know who saw him plant the bomb , I don't know where they found his fingerprint.

Has Cuba ever given over someone we wanted?

I don't know , just asking.