Author Topic: The trash nanny is on the way!  (Read 3171 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The trash nanny is on the way!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
    Sorting recyclables is a good idea.

Mandating everything is a bad idea.

Can the government encourage recycling without bothering people?

If the government were charging a differential for unsorted vs sorted trash , the fee could hire a sorting team for the unsorted, but the people that took the time would not need to pay the higher fee. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
    Sorting recyclables is a good idea.

Mandating everything is a bad idea.

BINGO!  The point the professor keeps avoiding is that no is claiming we shouldn't recyle, shouldn't take a little extra effort in being stewards towards recycling efforts.  That indeed, its a good thing to do.  Just not at the threat of Government intervention, if you fail to do so

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
If one person, just one person, throws his food garbage in with the recyclable bottles, cans and paper, that sort of makes the entire contents of the truck too contaminated to do actual recycling. Grease and rotting food can gum up everything, making sorting the paper, the cans and the bottles very difficult if not impossible, to recycle.

Leaving red tags as a reminder that a particular citizen is failing to recycle properly is hardly jack-booted thuggery.

There has to be some incentive to get everyone to recycle properly, or it simply will not work. I

So what can the municipality do besides  admonish or fine those who refuse to comply?

Suppose I like to park my car in TWO spaces. Is it thuggery if the metermaid gives me a ticket?

What if I find it easier to park on the wrong side of the street when there is snow, making it impossible for the snowplow to do a proper job?

What if I enjoy celebrating birthdays, Christmas and New Years by firing my pistol into the air, using live ammo?  I hear lots of muy neighbors doing this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."