hee hee hee. Heh!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

Re: whoa!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
Now THAT is funny.

I'm going to learn Ubuntu?  Ubuntu?

hee hee hee. Heh!

I googled Ubuntu. Never heard of it before. My new computer, which is my old computer.....and XP pro. is slower than my previous Vista Gateway T-series.  Can someone tell me about Ubuntu.

Funny, I've been through a week of hell ....sicker than crap with a virus, all the while (Murhpy's law) wrestling with a virus on my new computer---not to mention a broken CD disk drive. I was rushing to get these
"issues" repaired so I could return the sucker to Costco. ( they were very nice about it. I got all my cash back)

Anyway, sick as I was, I had to call the Microsoft folks for help.....They were fantastic, actually. I was amazed at how they could take control of my computer to seek and find the problems.
Wow was I impressed. They did a great job.

I was worried that I wouldnt' be able to understand them, as they were Pilipino, yet it was my voice that sounded like Kathleen Turner with Laryngitis!
Still home with the worse flu thing I have had in years. Be careful out there, WASH YOUR HANDS!!

All in all, the chuckle I got from this clip was the native Indian voice of the gent based on "Connecticut".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
Ubuntu is one of many distros, or distributions, of Linux. It is a free operating system that will do pretty much everything Windows, at least Windows XP will do. It has a word processor that is also free and compatible with Word files.

Linux is a free version of Unix. The kernal was designed by Linus Torvalds, a Finn, and it is shareware, developed as an open-architecture operating system, which can be debugged modified by users and is under a constant process of development. You can download an version of it on and ISO disk and install it on any computer that can use Windows.

It seems to require somewhat more technical expertise to use.

Ami is familiar with it. It is possible to partition your HD and have a choice when you boot up of either Linux or Windows.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Actually, my recommendation is to download one of the "tiny" distros that live under Windows. Then, when you want to play with Linux, you run as if it were another Windows application (double click the icon on the desktop or select it from the Start menu). When you're more familiar with running Linux, go for a full blown system (or even a dual boot system).

There is a version of Ubuntu setup this way, called Wubi.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:22:45 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
Actually, my recommendation is to download one of the "tiny" distros that live under Windows. Then, when you want to play with Linux, you run as if it were another Windows application (double click the icon on the desktop or select it from the Start menu). When you're more familiar with running Linux, go for a full blown system (or even a dual boot system).

There is a version of Ubuntu setup this way, called Wubi.

Ami,

I am not quite clear on why I would need to download this. Would it help with my speed etc?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:17:15 PM »
I am not quite clear on why I would need to download this. Would it help with my speed etc?

Linux is faster than Windoze, and there are very few viruses for it. The learning curve is steeper than Windoze, however.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

Linux is faster than Windoze, and there are very few viruses for it. The learning curve is steeper than Windoze, however.
Ok thanks,

I was curious. This is my school laptop so I won't go into anything I need to "learn" right now.....but thanks.
C*