Author Topic: Bush chides father  (Read 2429 times)

The_Professor

Bush chides father
« on: October 22, 2006, 07:14:51 PM »
Bush chides father for election remarks

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- President Bush gently admonished his father for saying he hates to think what life would be like for his son if the Democrats win control of Congress in the November 7 election.

It was the latest sign of possible strain in the relationship between the two men.

"He shouldn't be speculating like this, because -- he should have called me ahead of time and I'd tell him they're not going to (win)," a smiling Bush told ABC "This Week" in an interview broadcast Sunday.

It follows the recent release of a book, "State of Denial," by journalist Bob Woodward, that says the 82-year-old former president was "anguished" over how the Iraq war has played out, although he has dismissed that account.

Earlier this month, the elder Bush was reported to have told a Republican fundraiser in a Philadelphia suburb that "if we have some of these wild Democrats in charge of these (congressional) committees, it will be a ghastly thing for our country."

He was also quoted as saying, "I would hate to think ... what my son's life would be like" if their Republican Party lost its majorities.

The two men have rarely appeared together in public in recent years. But they praised each other at the October 7 christening of a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, named the USS George H.W. Bush, after the 41st president.

Although the elder Bush has said his job is to stay on the sidelines, that did not stop him from raising a warning about the prospects for a Democratic takeover of Congress.

Asked whether he had thought about the possibility, the younger Bush told ABC: "Not really ... I'm a person that believes we'll continue to control the House and the Senate."

Polls show Democrats running ahead. They must pick up 15 House seats and six Senate seats to take over Congress.

A power shift would create a political nightmare for Bush, whose public approval ratings are below 40 percent. His domestic legislative agenda would be stymied and he would see stepped-up pressure to withdraw from Iraq while possibly facing congressional investigations into the unpopular war.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/22/bush.father.reut/index.html 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Bush chides father
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 08:03:44 PM »
Good way to rally the base.

syrmark59

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
A shame he didnt read his father's book before blundering into Iraq.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 09:07:56 PM »
A shame he didn't read his father's book before blundering into Iraq.

Why?

Do you really think it would have dissuaded him?

The_Professor

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 09:32:05 PM »
The answer, I believe, is NO. Everyone feels they are the exception to historical precepts.

Hitler thought he could do better than Napoleon, is only one example.

Contrary to some of my more liberal friends, I feel Bush went into Iraq honestly believing there were WMDs there and he would rescue people from a despot.

Bush, even after reading his father's book, would not, I believe, be dissuaded form that viewpoint.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 10:15:53 PM by The_Professor »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 10:00:39 PM »
The answer, I believe, is NO

I wouldn't think so either.

I'm curious why Mark would think it would have made a difference. Unless he doesn't. In which case maybe he was just being snarky.

Hard to tell with this medium.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 10:10:23 PM »
"Hard to tell with this medium. "

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Can avatars be made more emotive?

In the future can a computer be sensitive to how one is feeling and make changes to the background or an avatar that can substitute for the non verbal portion of communication that a bulliten board is missing?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 10:14:44 PM »
i like the [snark] [/snark] method of communicating post attributes.

Not being a big fan of smileys and all.

syrmark59

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 10:15:36 PM »
Read the book BT- Bush Sr (who I've always felt was vastly under rated as a POTUS) laid out a pretty thorough explanation/argument as to why he chose not invade Iraq and oust Saddam.

Not only were the reasons still viable, but even many of the principals involved were the same.

Now, call that "snarky" if you wish.

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 10:17:37 PM »
What were his reasons?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 10:29:58 PM »
Read the book BT- Bush Sr (who I've always felt was vastly under rated as a POTUS) laid out a pretty thorough explanation/argument as to why he chose not invade Iraq and oust Saddam.

Not only were the reasons still viable, but even many of the principals involved were the same.

Now, call that "snarky" if you wish.

And this post explains how GWB would have been dissuaded if he had only listened to his father, exactly how?

Fact is there is no time machine.

GWB invaded Iraq. With the blessing of both houses of congress, i might add.

I don't see how saying his father disagreed with that decision, could be anything other than snark.

If events in Iraq had gone differently, i doubt Bush 41's book would have been ever brought up.