Author Topic: Blame It on Mr. Rogers: Why Young Adults Feel So Entitled  (Read 2679 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Blame It on Mr. Rogers: Why Young Adults Feel So Entitled
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:06:02 AM »
Don Chance, a finance professor at Louisiana State University, says it dawned on him last spring. The semester was ending, and as usual, students were making a pilgrimage to his office, asking for the extra points needed to lift their grades to A's.

"They felt so entitled," he recalls, "and it just hit me. We can blame Mr. Rogers."

Fred Rogers, the late TV icon, told several generations of children that they were "special" just for being whoever they were. He meant well, and he was a sterling role model in many ways. But what often got lost in his self-esteem-building patter was the idea that being special comes from working hard and having high expectations for yourself.

Now Mr. Rogers, like Dr. Spock before him, has been targeted for re-evaluation. And he's not the only one. As educators and researchers struggle to define the new parameters of parenting, circa 2007, some are revisiting the language of child ego-boosting. What are the downsides of telling kids they're special? Is it a mistake to have children call us by our first names? When we focus all conversations on our children's lives, are we denying them the insights found when adults talk about adult things?

Some are calling for a recalibration of the mind-sets and catch-phrases that have taken hold in recent decades. Among the expressions now being challenged:

"You're special." On the Yahoo Answers Web site, a discussion thread about Mr. Rogers begins with this posting: "Mr. Rogers spent years telling little creeps that he liked them just the way they were. He should have been telling them there was a lot of room for improvement. ... Nice as he was, and as good as his intentions may have been, he did a disservice."

Signs of narcissism among college students have been rising for 25 years, according to a recent study led by a San Diego State University psychologist. Obviously, Mr. Rogers alone can't be blamed for this. But as Prof. Chance sees it, "he's representative of a culture of excessive doting."

Prof. Chance teaches many Asian-born students, and says they accept whatever grade they're given; they see B's and C's as an indication that they must work harder, and that their elders assessed them accurately. They didn't grow up with Mr. Rogers or anyone else telling them they were born special.

By contrast, American students often view lower grades as a reason to "hit you up for an A because they came to class and feel they worked hard," says Prof. Chance. He wishes more parents would offer kids this perspective: "The world owes you nothing. You have to work and compete. If you want to be special, you'll have to prove it."

"They're just children." When kids are rude, self-absorbed or disrespectful, some parents allow or endure it by saying, "Well, they're just children." The phrase is a worthy one when it's applied to a teachable moment, such as telling kids not to stick their fingers in electrical sockets. But as an excuse or as justification for unacceptable behavior, "They're just children" is just misguided.

"Call me Cindy." Is it appropriate to place kids on the same level as adults, with all of us calling each other by our first names? On one hand, the familiarity can mark a loving closeness between child and adult. But on the other hand, when a child calls an adult Mr. or Ms., it helps him recognize that status is earned by age and experience. It's also a reminder to respect your elders.

"Tell me about your day." It is crucial to talk to kids about their lives, and that dialogue can enrich the whole family. However, parents also need to discuss their own lives and experiences, says Alvin Rosenfeld, a Manhattan-based child psychiatrist who studies family interactions.

In America today, life often begins with the anointing of "His Majesty, the Fetus," he says. From then on, many parents focus their conversations on their kids. Today's parents "are the best-educated generation ever," says Dr. Rosenfeld. "So why do our kids see us primarily discussing kids' schedules and activities?"

He encourages parents to talk about their passions and interests; about politics, business, world events. "Because everything is child-centered today, we're depriving children of adults," he says. "If they never see us as adults being adults, how will they deal with important matters when it is their world?"

http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB118358476840657463.html

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Blame It on Mr. Rogers: Why Young Adults Feel So Entitled
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:38:07 AM »
It's funny, I thought Mr. Rogers was a good influence on all my kids.  He was gentle, funny and really compassionate.  I'm sure there were a lot of kids watching the show who were sad unappreciated and DID need the reminder that they were unique.

I don't think there's a "one size fits all" approach towards child raising and moreover Mr. Rogers was never supposed to be a substitute for parental role modeling and guidance.  Our kids got their work ethic from us and our family, they watched (and loved!) Mr. Rogers and today they're a working journalist (in Manhattan,) a university professor and a senior community college administrator.

I don't think this guy's doing anyone any favours by suggesting our kids follow the Asian model.  I've heard a lot about teenage suicides among Asian kids and the pattern seems to have travelled with them to Canada and the U.S.A. - - a lot of it grades-related.

And finally, I don't see any link whatever between Mr. Rogers' message of specialness and the sense of unearned entitlement that the writer was complaining about.  Of course any message can be misinterpreted, and of the millions of Mr. Rogers watchers, maybe some of them did get the message wrong.  You've got to ask, where were their parents?  Did they just turn the kids over to Mr. Rogers and hope that they wouldn't misinterpret anything he said?  Ludicrous.  Blame America's parents for the failure of America's kids, and blame America's leaders too - - they seem to think they're above and beyond any laws written for everyone else, above the Geneva Conventions and the UN Charter and entitled by some divine right to the oil of Iraq, Iran and anyone else they have lined up in their sights.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:03:38 AM »
While I was reading this I wondered what publication would possibly print such a thing.

The Wall Street Journal. Huh. Somehow I wasn't very surprised. :)

I have to agree with Michael on this one, in fact, he said it very well. If it is true that young adults feel so entitled, then the fault lies with their parents.

If the professor wants to blame Mr. Rogers then he needs to blame Christianity as well, because it has a very similar message for children, that God created each of them uniquely and that they are special. That message could be misinterpreted in exactly the same way.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:36:28 AM »
A god damned new fucking low.

Nice of them to wait a few years after he was dead.

My email to the douchebags at FOX AND FRIENDS who covered this and agreed.

Dear sir,

As one of those children who grew up watching Mr. Rogers? Neighborhood as a latchkey kid in the ?70?s, my younger sister and I benefited from Fred Rogers? onscreen character?s kindness and caring nature.  Fred Rogers never told us that we deserve extra credit or that we were somehow entitled to anything more than anyone else.  The lesson that I learned from Fred Rogers was that I matter and I that I should continue to do my best.

It is no secret that you are charged with getting as many Americans who still watch your hackery in the mornings to have water cooler discussions about ANYTHING but politics, government, Libby, Cheney, Bush, the cult of neo-cons and especially the ?war? in Iraq but for pity?s sake, attacking Fred Rogers?  A devout christian minister who spent his life making 30 minute programs that stirred children?s imagination and inspired them to do their best? 

Come on, surely people haven?t heard enough about poor little rich white girls who take drugs and go to jail.

Bryan Foshee
Memphis, TN

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
Wonderful letter, Brass.  When I read his obit, I recall thinking how many hundreds of thousands of kids he must have had a major positive influence on, and you're certainly living proof.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:08:46 AM »
I am very surprised that Brass is coming to the defense of and admitting he was profoundly inflienced by a theist. Thought they were all delusional.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:11:04 AM »
besides i liked mr robinson's neighborhood better.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
I am very surprised that Brass is coming to the defense of and admitting he was profoundly inflienced by a theist. Thought they were all delusional.

As you know, I didn't find out that Mr. Rogers was a theist till later in life.  It is to his credit that he never made an issue of his theism on his program thereby not injecting a divisive subject in his persona.

The point that was a good and kind person due to his theism is probable and I appreciate his not mentioning it but rather being good and kind without asking me to accept his religious dogma.

If more theists operated in the mode of Fred Rogers, the world would be a better place.  Only crazed ideologues like Bush, Dobbins, Falwell, bin Laden and the like insist that their religious dogma is the true path rather than simply doing good in the world and having that be the true path.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »
Brass,
That was a great letter.
The true path....
That's a great analogy. Doing good and having that be the true path. 
You make an attractive, loving place for people and they will come to it, you don't have to hector them to come. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »

If more theists operated in the mode of Fred Rogers, the world would be a better place.  Only crazed ideologues like Bush, Dobbins, Falwell, bin Laden and the like insist that their religious dogma is the true path rather than simply doing good in the world and having that be the true path.

quick question here.....Ummm, when was the last time, hell the 1st time, Bush ever claimed his faith was THE only one to follow, insisting to the rest of us that only his religion is the way to salvation, and those that refuse are doomed??  Indicating that Jesus is his favorite philosopher somehow doesn't compete with the likes of BinLaden and his demands for following Islam or die

With the plethora of soundbites taken on Bush, surely we can find 1 that is equivalent to what Usama has pushed.  Let's see if Brass can actually back up this claim of roughly identical ideology
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 04:30:30 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 06:41:49 PM »
Lanya?  Brass?  Xo?  Got any to share?  He is this supposed RW radical Christian version of Usama, so obviously there must be some quotable examples to point this out, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »
Lanya?  Brass?  Xo?  Got any to share?  He is this supposed RW radical Christian version of Usama, so obviously there must be some quotable examples to point this out, right?

Yes, douchebag, presidents speak in churches but considering when and the effect it was having at the time on Americans, this was tantamount in every way to bin Laden talking about the will of Allah.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »
Yes, douchebag, presidents speak in churches but considering when and the effect it was having at the time on Americans, this was tantamount in every way to bin Laden talking about the will of Allah.

Let's back it off a notch Brass. If you can't debate with facts, please at least spare us the incendiary name calling. I believe that is Knute's domain. You are too good a writer and too smart a man to let your emotions get the best of you.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 11:41:54 PM »

Let's back it off a notch Brass. If you can't debate with facts, please at least spare us the incendiary name calling. I believe that is Knute's domain. You are too good a writer and too smart a man to let your emotions get the best of you.

I agree; however, the level of reality dismissal on the right is at an all-time high, like astronomical, and its incredibly despicable.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:42 PM »
I agree; however, the level of reality dismissal on the right is at an all-time high, like astronomical, and its incredibly despicable

Are you claiming victimhood? Are you not responsible for your own behavior?