Author Topic: Feds fruitless in getting kids off junk food  (Read 2188 times)

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Feds fruitless in getting kids off junk food
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:59:20 AM »
The federal government will spend more than $1 billion this year on nutrition education -- fresh carrot and celery snacks, videos of dancing fruit, hundreds of hours of lively lessons about how great you will feel if you eat well.

But an Associated Press review of scientific studies examining 57 such programs found mostly failure. Just four showed any real success in changing the way kids eat -- or any promise as weapons against the growing epidemic of childhood obesity.

''Any person looking at the published literature about these programs would have to conclude that they are generally not working,'' said Dr. Tom Baranowski, a pediatrics professor at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine who studies behavioral nutrition.

The results have been disappointing, to say the least:

? Last year, a major federal pilot program offering free fruits and vegetables to schoolchildren showed that fifth-graders became less willing to eat them than they had been at the start. Apparently, they didn't like the taste.

? In Pennsylvania, researchers went so far as to give prizes to school children who ate fruits and vegetables. That worked while the prizes were offered, but when the researchers came back seven months later the kids had reverted to their original eating habits: soda and chips.

? In studies where children tell researchers they are eating better or exercising more, there is usually no change in blood pressure, body size or cholesterol measures; they want to eat better, they might even think they are, but they're not.

Nationally, obesity rates have nearly quintupled among 6- to 11-year-olds and tripled among teens and children ages 2 to 5 since the 1970s, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The medical consequences of obesity in the United States -- diabetes, high blood pressure, even orthopedic problems -- cost an estimated $100 billion a year. Kentucky cardiologist Dr. James W. Holsinger Jr., nominated as the next surgeon general, says fighting childhood obesity is his top priority.

The forces that make kids fat ''are really strong and hard to fight with just a program in school,'' said Dr. Philip Zeitler, a pediatric endocrinologist who sees ''a steady stream'' of obese children struggling with diabetes and other potentially fatal medical problems at The Children's Hospital in Denver.

What does he tell them?

''Oh God, I haven't figured out anything that I know is going to work,'' he said. ``I'm not aware of any medical model that is very successful in helping these kids. Sure, we try to help them, but I can't take credit for the ones who do manage to change.''

Experts agree that although most funding targets schools, parents have the greatest influence, even a biological influence, over what their children will eat. Zeitler says when children slim down, it's because ``their families get religion about this and figure out what needs to happen.''

But often, they don't.

''If the mother is eating Cheetos and white bread, the fetus will be born with those taste buds. If the mother is eating carrots and oatmeal, the child will be born with those taste buds,'' said Dr. Robert Trevino of the Social and Health Research Center in San Antonio.

Most kids learn what tastes good and what tastes nasty by their 10th birthdays.

''If we don't reach a child before they get to puberty, it's going to be very tough, very difficult, to change their eating behavior,'' Trevino said.

Poorer kids are especially at risk, because unhealthy food is cheaper and more available than healthy food.

Parents are often working, leaving their children unsupervised to get their own snacks. Low-income neighborhoods have fewer good supermarkets with fresh produce.

Meanwhile, it's harder for children to exercise on their own. Parks often aren't safe, and sports teams cost money.

''Calorie burning has become the province of the wealthy,'' Zeitler said. ``I fear that what we're going to see is a divergence of healthy people and unhealthy people. Basically, like everything else, it costs money to be healthy.''

Children ages 8 to 12 see an average of 21 television ads each day for candy, snacks, cereal and fast food -- more than 7,600 a year, according to a recent Kaiser Family Foundation study. Not one of the 8,854 ads reviewed promoted fruits or vegetables.

There was one ad for healthy foods for every 50 for other foods.

Children may be the best sources to explain why lessons about nutrition don't sink in.

''I think it's because they like it so much, because like, I don't know if you've seen the new hot Cheetos that are like puffs? Oh my God, they're so good. Like everyone at the school has them and they're so good,'' said Ani Avanessian, 14, of Panorama City.

Her classmate George Rico, a 13-year-old whose mother is a manager at a McDonald's, said he loves his nutrition class. But does it affect what he puts in his mouth?

''Well, no, but it makes me think about what I eat,'' he said. ``I think kids don't change because they've been eating it for so long they're just accustomed to eating that way.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/884/story/160714.html

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Feds fruitless in getting kids off junk food
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:58:57 PM »
''If the mother is eating Cheetos and white bread, the fetus will be born with those taste buds. If the mother is eating carrots and oatmeal, the child will be born with those taste buds,'' said Dr. Robert Trevino of the Social and Health Research Center in San Antonio.

I had a donut, Spaghetti-O, white bread and Dorito pregnancy.

My son, however, given a choice between: Candy/Cookies/Chips  OR  Fresh Fruit/Veggies... will choose the fresh fruits and veggies every time. EVERY TIME!

Yeah, he's only 3. I know it could change. But I'm working hard to make sure it doesn't change!

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:03:27 PM »
Miss Henny points out the more plausible, practical and appropriate path to take.....that being it's the Parents, NOT the Feds' responsibility in getting kids off junk food.  The Fed has much more pressing constitutional responsibilities & obligations they should be focused on
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »
it`s call a tough sell
the very idea to trick kids in thinking a celery taste better than a potato chip is a uphill battle.
remember people who eat vegetables rarely talk about taste.
the subject is mainly about health

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:06:12 PM »
Henny,

I questioned that statement as well.  I'd like to see the research that backs it up.

One study I remember reading involved toddlers who were offered free choice from a variety of healthy finger foods such as vegetables, fruits, crackers, etc.  Even though it seemed as though the toddlers would 'binge' on one particular food one day and another the next, it was found that they naturally chose a balanced diet in the long run as long as they were offered the appropriate foods at each meal, and weren't coerced into eating certain portions.  They also showed an instinctive need for 5 - 6 smaller meals/snacks each day, rather than the 3 larger meals + snacking in between meals which is more typical of the adult diet.

It's a shame that food and eating can turn into a major control issue for some families; if parents would stop trying to impose their beliefs onto their kids and allow them to let their bodies dictate what and when to eat, they could avoid a lot of problems that could later manifest in other ways, such as anorexia, bulemia, and substance abuse

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
The problem is that most natural foods are prone to spoil more readily than typical snack foods, and they taste better as well.

If you want crunchy, you can choose between celery and chips, but celery does not stay fresh, and has not been engineered to appeal to our taste buds.

Mangos are sweet, but they are too messy, compared with pretty much any usual sweet foods, such as chocolate, ice cream, candy or M&M's.

Salty isn't good for us no matter what, even though we may crave it.

The benefits of eating healthy foods is not immediately apparent.

Drinking water vs drinking soda is easier to convince people to do, as there are all manner of zero and low-calorie flavorings that can be put in water. Soda isn't much good at satisfying thirst, anyway.

The government ad programs are often contracted out to companies that owe more to the fatfood industry than the public. A lot of supposed anti-smoking ads are either unconvncing or actually provoke kids to rebel against them.

Who was convinced to not use drugs by the "This is your brain on drugs" commercials?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
Who was convinced to not use drugs by the "This is your brain on drugs" commercials?

That commercial got me eating fried egg sandwiches every once in a while.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »

That commercial got me eating fried egg sandwiches every once in a while.

------------------------------

lol
me and all my friends keep saying who is that girl

rachel liegh cook is a good looking girl
theirs a reason she won those pageants

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
One study I remember reading involved toddlers who were offered free choice from a variety of healthy finger foods such as vegetables, fruits, crackers, etc.  Even though it seemed as though the toddlers would 'binge' on one particular food one day and another the next, it was found that they naturally chose a balanced diet in the long run as long as they were offered the appropriate foods at each meal, and weren't coerced into eating certain portions.  They also showed an instinctive need for 5 - 6 smaller meals/snacks each day, rather than the 3 larger meals + snacking in between meals which is more typical of the adult diet.

Missus, I've seen this study too. Kids instinctively know how many calories their little bodies need and what they need to eat. If they overeat one day they will, by nature, eat less the next day, thus balancing what their body needs. If only that isn't so easily lost in adulthood!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »
Salty isn't good for us no matter what, even though we may crave it.

You'll die without a salt intake.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 12:00:50 AM »
but the intake is very small
for the past 20 years I have  never put salt on my foods on the theory it has more than enough already.
only a few times I had to force myself to take salt.
vegetables would be another matter
it has none at all so you need to add salt.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »
While it is true that a total lack of salt can be fatal, surely you know that snack foods are loaded with amounts of it that are far beyond the normal dietary need. The same is true of sugar, which is not needed for survival.

Our bodies were designed for the environment in which we evolved thousands of years ago, when food was extremely scarce and humans in Northern climes had to bulk up for winter or starve.

Excess salt causes water retention. Excess sugar contributes to diabetes.
My doctor has told me that any normal diet will contain adequate salt, and more is detrimental to my health, so i don't salt anything other than the very occasional French fry. Mostly, I use Mrs Dash or other herb concoctions.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »
the only thing I`ll break the rules for the no salt policy is soup.

it`s just too bland without salt.

I try to put the least amount and still taste good to me

my salt tolerance is so low I`m starting have trouble other peoples food
it`s too salty to me.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »
I never claimed that many foods had no salt. I rarely add salt at the table, though I use it while cooking.

I prefer many other spices to salt.

And sugar is a food just like any other.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
the only thing I ever add sugar is pasta to get rid of the acid taste from the tomato sauce.
it`s quite good
I used to use raisin,but that don`t have the same shelf life as sugar.
mustn`t waste.