Author Topic: And you thought Reid & his accusers were the shameless folk  (Read 4545 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: And you thought Reid & his accusers were the shameless folk
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
Should does NOT equal must (i.e mandated).

Obligated DOES equal must. Or perhaps you're using a different definition of "obligate" than is standard in English?

Nope, that'd be you, on this matter.  Whether its a dislike of palin necessistating some defense of CBS?, or something else entirely, it's been CBS's ongoing track record at issue.  Not Palin's

I like Palin and dislike CBS. However, in this case they (CBS) got it right. Palin is perfectly justified in not responding; had I been in her position, I would not have responded either, and would have been incensed had someone else decided to respond "in my defense." Palin is quite canny, and the response she gave was the best one, both politically and personally.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
The MSM, SHOULD have an obligation to be balanced, or at minimum, impartial.

Obligate: to bind legally or morally
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/OBLIGATE

Impartial: not partial or biased : treating or affecting all equally
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impartial

When CBS gave Palin the opportunity to respond, they were being impartial as they were giving her the same opportunity they gave to the authors of "Game Change". The fact that Palin chose not to respond does not lessen CBS' impartiality.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
Man on 2nd, 0 outs, pitcher up with lifetime batting average of .075.  The manager SHOULD have the pitcher bunt the runner to 3rd.  You could even argue that the manager is obligated to have the pitcher bunt, given the circumstances

No where does that mandate that the manger have the pitcher bunt, or that the rules require that the pitcher MUST bunt

I hope that helped
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »
Man on 2nd, 0 outs, pitcher up with lifetime batting average of .075.  The manager SHOULD have the pitcher bunt the runner to 3rd.  You could even argue that the manager is obligated to have the pitcher bunt, given the circumstances

No where does that mandate that the manger have the pitcher bunt, or that the rules require that the pitcher MUST bunt

If you're arguing that the manager is "obligated" to have the pitcher bunt, then you're arguing that it's required.

Perhaps you should revisit the definition of "obligate" above.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Perhaps we should revisit context.  Then again, I think I've already done so, adnauseum.  Time to move on
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
Perhaps we should revisit context.

Perhaps we should revisit "selecting and using the proper words to convey your meaning" first. Seems like that would be a staple of meaningful conversation.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
I give up Ami, you win.  If we want to fixate on the technical definition of 1 word, minus all the context, minus the totality of what's been said, minus the repeated clarifications of my actual position, and the points being made, then obviously I must be a closet supporter of the Fairness Doctrine

::)