Author Topic: Question  (Read 5809 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Question
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 11:57:09 PM »
So if he were a liberal  running as a democrat close on the heels of discovering the cure for GOP caused cancer and giving the vaccine away for free, his Mormonism would not be a problem?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:10:09 AM by BT »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Black President More Likely than Mormon or Atheist
By James Joyner
A recent Gallup poll reveals that Americans are much more likely to elect a black man or a woman president than a Mormon or an old man. More interestingly, they’d rather be governed by a homosexual than an atheist:

Now, these numbers are prospective. People know, for example, that John McCain is an old man and that Rudy Giuliani is divorced and yet they’re doing well in the polls. Still, the ranking of these prospective attributes is interesting.

With all the talk about Romney’s Mormon Problem–with some sizable percentage of Americans thinking the religion he belongs to is a cult–this survey would seem to indicate that it’s less of a problem than being twice-divorced. That’s rather interesting given that there seems to be no real stigma to divorce and re-marriage in the society at large. Further, being 72 years old is massively more problematic, at least theoretically.

I’ve long known that an acknowledged atheist could never win the presidency. But who would have guessed that atheists would poll behind homosexuals? Wonder what Andrew Sullivan would make of that?

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2007/02/black_president_more_likely_than_mormon_or_atheist_/

The_Professor

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
Interesting poll numbers here and previous commnets about fundamentalists and their views about Mormonism. Personally, I would feel free to vote for a Mormon or someone of the Jewish faith, But I doubt I would ever vote for an openly-acknowledge homosexual. Marital issues do not bother me. After all, I am on my second (and last!). A woman? Sure, why not? Go Condi! Or Elizabeth Dole! A Black? Sure, why not? Go Colin Powell!