Author Topic: Endorsement  (Read 11328 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Endorsement
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
That is precisely what I mean. There are already far to many guns in private hands to expect any federal law would or could take them away from their owners. Most gun owners are not criminals, but the few that are not wound and kill a lot of people.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
Good thing we already have laws against that sort of thing
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
If we had fewer guns, many fewer would be wounded or killed.

The more guns there are, the more gun crimes there are. Making something illegal does not make it impossible.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
Fewer guns won't stop the bad guys from breaking the laws already.  They would decrease the amount of personal protection though.  Leave it to Xo to support the bad guys
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
If more guns made a society safer, then the safest countries would be those with no gun restrictions at all, and the most dangerous would be those that have the most restrictions.

Such is not the case: in fact, the reverse is true.

However, I see gun laws, other than banning machine guns and bazookas and such, to be a waste of time, since there are already too many guns to ever expect that the police or anyone could possibly confiscate enough of them to make any difference, and many gun nuts and cops would get blown away in the process. So I do not think that any purpose is served by this. One of my my neighbors is a scrawny little guy that is a nice fellow when sober, who was always reaching for a pistol when any conflict arose and cannot talk for more than thirty minutes without talking about how guns have kept him safe. Two of his sons are currently in prison for gun crimes, one for armed robbery, another for a parole violation involving owning an illegal military rifle of some sort.

On July 4th and New Years he likes to fire his pistol into the air, so I stay indoors when he pulls it out. And the possibility of firing blanks has never occurred to him.

The 2nd Amendment is not a major issue except among gun nuts, in my opinion. And my opinions do not make anyone safer or more threatened in any way, since I have never supplied not confiscated a gun or voted on a law that would affect gun laws in any way.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
Actually, the reverse of your reverse is true.  In the U.S. Areas with looser (more LIBERAL) gun laws have lower %'s of violent crime, than areas that have the very strictest of gun laws/ownership

Nice try, though

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 09:54:10 PM »
If we had fewer guns, many fewer would be wounded or killed.

The more guns there are, the more gun crimes there are. Making something illegal does not make it impossible.

This strike me as terribly illogical, as if each gun could only be used badly once .

If guns are causing violence , then why is violence decreasing during the centurys that guns became common ?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
There are many things that influence violent behavior. The average age of the population is important, the lower this is, the more violence there is, and countries that have constant wars have more violence than those that do not. Sweden and Switzerland are far less violent than the US. So is Spain.

Countries that have few guns among the population, like Japan, have far less violence than the US as well.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2011, 02:36:15 AM »
There are many things that influence violent behavior. The average age of the population is important, the lower this is, the more violence there is, and countries that have constant wars have more violence than those that do not. Sweden and Switzerland are far less violent than the US. So is Spain.

Countries that have few guns among the population, like Japan, have far less violence than the US as well.

I don't see any corelation or evidence of causation.

Violence is down sharply in our own country since thirty years ago , in the same space of time gun ownership better than tripled.

Some people think it intuitive that fewer guns would result in fewer violent crimes, as if it were the guns committing the crimes.
       When the weapon of a crime is a rock or a stick do we examine the role the availability of rocks and sticks play in the crime?

« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:21:07 AM by Plane »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »

And notice how you glossed right over the FACT that areas with more permissive gun laws have lower violent crime than those areas with far more restrictive gun laws.  Imagine that     ;D