Author Topic: 8 out of 10 Americans Want The Terrorists To Win  (Read 4538 times)

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 8 out of 10 Americans Want The Terrorists To Win
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
<<No, your first assumption is correct. You ARE in the minority...>>

Actually the newest AP-Ipsos poll shows me in an 80% majority, with those who feel the country is going in the wrong direction.  Just read the post at the head of this thread, Professor.

I would postulate that it all depends upon exactly WHAT issue you are addressing. If you are referring to the ill-advised Iraqi excursion, then the polls agree that you are in the majority (as am I). If you mean other similar but related issues such as whether the US is the greatest nation on Earth, then you are in the minority. This nation is more than a government, it is a nation of people being governed. This process is a willing and democratic one.

Thi perpetual whining and degradting of the nation is both unfulfilling and monotonous. An exemplary analysis of the state of a nation lies in its positives as well as its negatives.

Why do people ike me rarely revisit this forum? Same drivel. Present some new and /or poignant views.

Naysayers abound and it gets old...rapidly. Perpetual naysaying is an attribute of a weak mind and superficial analysis.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 05:22:02 PM »
The "drivel" doesn't change because the situation doesn't change.  Novelty is fine, but there has to be some connection between the opinions being expressed and the actual state of the real world.

I do agree with you though, about the monotony.  The same issues are being debated between the same parties ad infinitum, over and over and over again, long past the point when one or both of the antagonists ought to have realized that nothing new is being added and it's long past time to have dropped out of the cycle.  I wonder if that wouldn't just result in a resounding silence in this group - - there really isn't enough meat in the duller issues to sustain us.  Also, speaking only for myself, I seem to be constitutionally unable to leave the last word on the subject to someone whom I believe to be abysmally misinformed, ignorant and just plain WRONG on most issues.

<<If you mean other similar but related issues such as whether the US is the greatest nation on Earth, then you are in the minority.>>

Personally when the debate is whether the U.S. is on the wrong path, I think the obvious frame of reference is the disaster of the Iraq War and its "war on terror" penumbra - - invasion, disrespect for UN, unilateral action, disrespect for international law generally (Geneva Conventions,) torture, illegal eavesdropping, etc.

<<Perpetual naysaying is an attribute of a weak mind and superficial analysis.>>

I think you don't get that the "perpetual naysaying" is a reaction to perpetual yeasaying. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »
"..., speaking only for myself, I seem to be constitutionally unable to leave the last word on the subject to someone whom I believe to be abysmally misinformed, ignorant and just plain WRONG on most issues.

And thus I have you trapped.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 06:18:49 PM »
You only believe that because you're too cynical to think that people can change.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
You only believe that because you're too cynical to think that people can change.

I have seen people change.

Just going by what you said , do you need to change?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »
If you mean other similar but related issues such as whether the US is the greatest nation on Earth, then you are in the minority.

The US is perhaps the greatest LARGE nation. It is certainly the greatest nation for Americans to live in. But in absolute standards, there is not actual greatest nation, and I think that anyone who thinks seriously on this must agree. What one considers greatness in a nation varies a lot from one nationality and culture to the next.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 09:29:37 PM »
<<Just going by what you said , do you need to change?>>

Definitely.  I need to be less obsessive about getting in the last word.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »
<<Just going by what you said , do you need to change?>>

Definitely.  I need to be less obsessive about getting in the last word.

Oh no , you can't change that!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »

Why do people ike me rarely revisit this forum? Same drivel. Present some new and /or poignant views.

Naysayers abound and it gets old...rapidly. Perpetual naysaying is an attribute of a weak mind and superficial analysis.

It is within your power to change this , all you need to do is present new stuff that everyone is interested in commenting on.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
<<It is within your power to change this , all you need to do is present new stuff that everyone is interested in commenting on.>>

Yes, but I think the Professor is more interested in finding a forum of perpetual cheerleading,which, following his analysis of naysaying, must necessarily be an attribute of strong minds and deep analysis.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:45 PM »
<<It is within your power to change this , all you need to do is present new stuff that everyone is interested in commenting on.>>

Yes, but I think the Professor is more interested in finding a forum of perpetual cheerleading,which, following his analysis of naysaying, must necessarily be an attribute of strong minds and deep analysis.

Supposing that your take on this is right I agree with you .

De-constructing opponents arguments who will come back and deconstruct yours requires that you must both understand each others arguments, the adversarial format ensures that no gaps or sloppy logic goes unchallenged.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »
Actially, MT and XO, I do not advocate cheerleading for the sake of cheerleading. As I have indicated previously, many times actually, I have MANY "issues" with George Bush's presidency, including the ill-advised Iraqi debacle, and the economy and the lack of R&D in alternative energy sources/technologies and no resolution on health care issues and no resolution to the social security issue and that stupid NCLB and o nand on.

But, give me someone better, someone with radical, feasible and practical ideas that can be successfully implemented.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
<<But, give me someone better, someone with radical, feasible and practical ideas that can be successfully implemented.>>

There are 300 million people in the U.S. and we are going to let you pick between two of them.  How's that?  One of them is for pulling out the troops but not all of them, and sending the ones that are pulled out to fight Afghanistan and maybe Pakistan too; the other doesn't care if the Army will be in Iraq for 100 years but then he does care because he doesn't want them fighting 100 years, just "being there' 100 years.

In other words, you can choose between two guys each of whom will say anything to anyone to get themselves elected.

So go ahead - - pick someone better than Bush.  (Hint:  they BOTH are!)