Author Topic: Spank your child ---> Go to jail  (Read 5073 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spank your child ---> Go to jail
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:24:19 AM »
I recall not too long ago Js trying to imply that it was conservatives that wished to legislate social behavior.  CA's legislature is about as whacked to the left as it can be, and with Arnold's big jump to the left, it's bills like this we should expect to be seeing more of.  perhaps this is a snapshot of what a Liberal Country might look like

No-spank bill on way
By Mike Zapler
MediaNews Sacramento Bureau

SACRAMENTO - The state Legislature is about to weigh in on a question that stirs impassioned debate among moms and dads: Should parents spank their children?

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to outlaw spanking children up to 3 years old. If she succeeds, California would become the first state in the nation to explicitly ban parents from smacking their kids.

Making a swat on the behind a misdemeanor might seem a bit much for some -- and the chances of the idea becoming law appear slim, at best -- but Lieber begs to differ.

``I think it's pretty hard to argue you need to beat a child 3 years old or younger,'' Lieber said. ``Is it OK to whip a 1-year-old or a 6-month-old or a newborn?''

The bill, which is still being drafted, will be written broadly, she added, prohibiting ``any striking of a child, any corporal punishment, smacking, hitting, punching, any of that.'' Lieber said it would be a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail or a fine up to $1,000, although a legal expert advising her on the proposal said first-time offenders would probably only have to attend parenting classes.

The idea is encountering skepticism even before it's been formally introduced. Beyond the debate among child psychologists -- many of whom believe limited spanking can be effective -- the bill is sure to face questions over how practical it is to enforce and opposition from some legislators who generally oppose what they consider ``nanny government.''

``Where do you stop?'' asked Assemblyman Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine, who said he personally agrees children under 3 shouldn't be spanked but has no desire to make it the law. ``At what point are we going to say we should pass a bill that every parent has to read a minimum of 30 minutes every night to their child? This is right along those same lines.''

One San Jose mother of three said she believes spanking is a poor way to discipline children, but she also wondered whether a legislative ban makes sense. Should a mom who slaps her misbehaving kid in the supermarket, she asked, be liable for a crime?

``If my 6-year-old doesn't put his clothes in the hamper, I'm not going to whack him. He just won't get his clothes washed,'' said Peggy Hertzberg, 38, who teaches parenting classes at the YWCA. ``I think instead of banning spanking, parents need to learn different ways of disciplining and redirecting their children.''

Lieber conceived the idea while chatting with a family friend and legal expert in children's issues worldwide. The friend, Thomas Nazario, said that while banning spanking might seem like a radical step for the United States, more than 10 European countries already do so. Sweden was the first, in 1979.

Nazario said there's no good rationale for hitting a child under 3, so the state should draw a ``bright line'' in the law making it clear.

``Why do we allow parents to hit a little child and not someone their own size?'' asked Nazario, a professor at the University of San Francisco Law School. ``Everyone in the state is protected from physical violence, so where do you draw the line? To take a child and spank his little butt until he starts crying, some people would define that as physical violence.''

It's unclear how a spanking ban would be enforced. Most slapping, after all, happens in the confines of a home, and most children up to age 3 aren't capable of reporting it.

Doctors, social workers and others who believe a child has been abused are required by law to report it to authorities. Nazario said he and Lieber are still debating whether to treat slapping the same way, or simply to encourage those who witness it to report it. But in either case, said Lieber, the law ``would allow people who view a beating to say, `Excuse me, that's against the law.' ''

Experts in child psychology disagree over whether spanking is a legitimate or effective way for parents to discipline their children. Professor Robert Larzelere, who has studied child discipline for 30 years, said his research shows spanking is fine, as long as it's used sparingly and doesn't escalate to abuse.

``If it's used in a limited way,'' the Oklahoma State University professor said, ``it can be more effective than almost any other type of punishment.'' He added that children 18 months old or younger shouldn't be spanked at all, because they can't understand why it's happening.

As for Lieber's proposal, the professor said: ``I think this proposal is not just a step too far, it's a leap too far. At least from a scientific perspective there really isn't any research to support the idea that this would make things better for children.''

But Lieber is optimistic that lawmakers will find her proposal hard to resist. For the record, she does not have children and says she was not slapped as a child. But she does have a cat named Snoop, which her veterinarian told her never to hit.

``And if you never hit a cat,'' Lieber said, ``you should never hit a kid.''

Spank your child ---> Go to jail
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Spank your child ---> Go to jail
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »
Does it matter?

CBS 5 Poll: Majority Oppose Calif. Spanking Ban
(CBS 5 / KCBS) SAN FRANCISCO Do parents have the right to spank their children? It is a controversial issue, and while a Bay Area lawmaker wants it addressed in Sacramento -- a majority of those surveyed for a new CBS 5 poll expressed opposition to a spanking ban.

In California, it's currently against the law for anyone but parents to spank a child. A proposed new law would make it illegal for them, too, if the child is 3 years old or younger.

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber (D-Mountain View) wants the practice of swatting a child on the behind outlawed and is in the process of drafting a bill to do so.

A poll of 500 Bay Area adults conducted for CBS 5 by Survey USA on Thursday found 57% would oppose such a bill, while only 23% would support it. The poll, with a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4%, showed 11% undecided.

Parents at the playgroup at Parent's Place in San Francisco, non-profit Jewish family child and parents service group, said they don't believe in spanking young children, but they said outlawing it worries them.

Joanna Jhanda as a one year old girl, said she understands the need for a law, but it troubles her: "There are certainly cases of extreme abuse,and those need to be addressed. I don't know if this law would help those children."

Victoria Wylie has a four month old and she's worried about where the law draws the line. She said, "If someone sees me doing something.. what they would consider spanking.. and it's not, I'm a little uncomfortable I'd be under investigation."

The proposed law would make spanking a child under 3 misdemeanor child abuse, an extenstion of current corporal punishment laws.

Violators could spend a year in jail, and pay up to $1000 in fines. Enforcement is unclear.

San Francisco assistant district attorney Paul Henderson prosecutes child abuse cases, and he welcomes a no spanking law.

"If you're going to spank your child, you need to know the limit," said Henderson, "and you need to know that doing it in a way that's cruel or traumatic causes injury, and that you could be prosecuted."

At the parenting classes at Parent's Place, spanking is considered the wrong discipline. Lee Ann Slaton leads discipline classes there. She said, "It teaches a child, if you're bigger you can hit. Violence begets violence.. and they're not learning."

An anti-spanking law in California would be the country's first. Supporters claim the U.S. is far behind some other nations in this issue. According to Lieber, fifteen countries worldwide have outlawed spanking of children, and under international law, it's considered a human rights abuse.

Critics maintain a spanking ban is an intrusion on the family, while supporters call it protecting a defenseless child.

Does it matter?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:05:57 AM »
I recall not too long ago Js trying to imply that it was conservatives that wished to legislate social behavior.

I wasn't trying to imply it, it is true. That doesn't mean that there aren't others who wish to do the same thing.

As I recall you were a big fan of the Arnold anyway back when you were recalling the former governor.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:01:48 PM »
I recall not too long ago Js trying to imply that it was conservatives that wished to legislate social behavior.

I wasn't trying to imply it, it is true. That doesn't mean that there aren't others who wish to do the same thing.

Outside of wanting to protect an innocent child from being killed, I'm not sure where else you can go with that accusation Js, that isn't supported by both ideologies/parties.  Perhaps you're looking towards the notion of laws against using illegal drugs.  Are you saying Dems are for teir repeal?

As I recall you were a big fan of the Arnold anyway back when you were recalling the former governor.

Once again, you recall wrong.  I was a big fan of McClintock, and voted for him during the recall.  I knew back then what Arnold was, unfortunately

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
Outside of wanting to protect an innocent child from being killed, I'm not sure where else you can go with that accusation Js, that isn't supported by both ideologies/parties.  Perhaps you're looking towards the notion of laws against using illegal drugs.  Are you saying Dems are for teir repeal?

I'm saying that many along the political spectrum tend towards legislating social behavior. Have Republican-led states or cities gotten rid of sin taxes? Have Democrats? The war on drugs is still being fought. Gay marriage banning amendments are constantly passed, a number of them proposed by "Conservatives."

So I am saying that "liberals" and conservatives as well as Democrats and Republicans tend towards legislating social behavior. Why does that offend you so much? I didn't make a judgement on it, just pointed out a fact. No need to be defensive.

Apologies for my memory of the Arnold vote.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
I'm saying that many along the political spectrum tend towards legislating social behavior. Have Republican-led states or cities gotten rid of sin taxes? Have Democrats?...So I am saying that "liberals" and conservatives as well as Democrats and Republicans tend towards legislating social behavior. Why does that offend you so much? I didn't make a judgement on it, just pointed out a fact. No need to be defensive.

No offense outside of the point that when you made that original comment, you certainly seemed to imply it was not "many along the political spectrum", but more so those of my ideological spectrum that was far more supportive of legislating social behavior.  Outside of the support in protecting the life of an innocent child, what else of my "ideology" is pushed as social behavior leglisation that isn't also supported by the the other major party?  Or are you, as in the above reference, conceding it's both ideologies?

Apologies for my memory of the Arnold vote.

Apology accepted
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:41:32 PM by sirs »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
Whether they make it a law or not is moot.  It's unenforceable.

JS is right though.  The conservatives are MUCH more into restricting the individual.

Liberals also want to pass laws that control individuals but most times, it is in deference to unintended victims i.e. banning smoking in public places and like in cars with kids.  Both ideas make lots more sense to me than conservatives wanting to ban sodomy between two consenting adults "because it offends god".

I also get rankled by laws restricting selling booze on Sunday or after a certain or before a certain time.  While it is true that it make sense for an individual to make the decision to not drink at certain times, it does not make sense for the state to tell me when that time is.  I've often been at the grocery store on a Sunday morning and wanted to buy some beer for that afternoon for a party or to watch a football game and had to send someone back after noon to buy it because the grocery store couldn't sell beer before noon.  LUDICROUS.

Spanking is like owning a gun.  In the right hands, it is effective.  To someone without a brain, it is dangerous.  Or spanking is like drinking, in moderation, effective.  If abused, detrimental.

Mucho

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:07:32 PM »

Once again, you recall wrong.  I was a big fan of McClintock, and voted for him during the recall.  I knew back then what Arnold was, unfortunately

You may have ened up voting for McClintock, but I remember vividly you sticking up ( pardon the expression) for Arnie when I pointed out that he was a bigger  pervert than Bill Clinton. You reap the bullshit you ow, you know. Besides, why is it you Repubs that object most to preventing child abuse? Just wondering.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »
Besides, why is it you Repubs that object most to preventing child abuse? Just wondering.

Because child abuse leads to people like you.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
i used to remember in college in the papers nixon is ok with spanking.
I blame micheal fey for all this anti-spanking stuff

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »
Besides, why is it you Repubs that object most to preventing child abuse? Just wondering.

Because child abuse leads to people like you.

I don't think you understood knute's question.  If you did, then it means that you favor child abuse and you want to see more people like him.

And knute, you know how they are.  They're pro-BIRTH, not pro-LIFE.  Once the child is born then its on its own.  They'd be ecstatic to see abortion ended and a third world WORLD of young single mothers, of married mothers with husbands who have to work four jobs to keep the heat on for their house full of kids (who just happen to all want expensive cereals, shoes, toys, clothes, you know, goods and services).

And, GOD FORBID, anyone ever be told of birth control when they are at the age that sex is all they can think about!!!!   GOOD GOD!!!   They might actually HAVE SEX!!!  (The difference of an unwanted pregnancy not being on the conservatives' minds.  Just the thought of teenagers having dirty, dirty monkey loving is all they get offended by.)

One of the most telling and ironic facts to come out of the whole sex education vs abstinence only arguments is the FACT that when kids are taught abstinence only, their interests in sodomy skyrockets because teens then see themselves as virgins.  They can sodomize all day and night as long as they don't have vaginal sex.  Thus the A only plan backfires on the biblical age thinking of the conservative yet again!

D'OH!!

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »
I don't think you understood knute's question.  If you did, then it means that you favor child abuse and you want to see more people like him.

Yeah, we can't have loud liberals die out.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:20 PM »
I don't think you understood knute's question.  If you did, then it means that you favor child abuse and you want to see more people like him.

Yeah, we can't have loud liberals die out.

So, then you favor child abuse?  And how does it lead to "loud liberals"?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »
So, then you favor child abuse?  And how does it lead to "loud liberals"?

Only among loud liberals to reproduce themselves.

Can't outlaw their reproductive practices, after all.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
You qualifying who you favor allowing child abuse among doesn't make it any less reprehensible.