Author Topic: What If We Win?  (Read 4646 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: What If We Win?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 05:34:44 PM »
Manipulating people is not something new or unprecedented in history, is it?

Of course not. Portraying  your position in its most favorable light is a time honored tradition.

Calling bullshit on that portrayal is also time honored.

And isn't that the give and take we are looking for?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 06:06:04 PM »
1) You claimed I'm ignorant of your "position" on the war in Iraq.  I referenced specifics on such. 
2) Yea
3) Yea, your tone is oh soo pleasant.   ::)  Oh, and again nice deflection effort.  At this point, I think it's safe to say no one has a clue of what position you're trying to defend or hard left critique of the President, you're attempting to rationalize now

My tone? Regardless, the critique in #3 is very specific to your viewpoint from which you frame this debate as "MSM" and "Dems" making demoralising statements about the war. As for #1 you didn't reference specifics, you gave me prerequisites, look at the questions you ask. Hardly open-ended.

Deducing a position on "X" generally requires a sample of examples to clarify "X"  Yet, you continue to plead how I'm ignorant of your position, while you continue to demonstrate your position on "X"

No, not even the same ballpark.  I'm not into "intellectualism", so I have no reason to be anti-it.  I'll leave that to elitists who believe they're so much smarter than everyone else.  I'll focus on reality and logistics, on stabilizing Iraq for a free & democratically run country in the heart of the middle east vs not, on winning the war against militant Islam vs not.  I'll leave the ponderous and overt egos of needing to intellectualize the debate, to those who have a much greater grasp of how much smarter they are to the rest of those who simply can't or won't 

argumentum ad populum mixed with ad hominem attack. Nice.

"Attack"?  You'll of course point out where I personally attacked you, right?  vs the criticisms I have regarding elitism, and the mindset that most often accompanies it

There's no need to "intellectualize the debate" Sirs. You focus on "reality and logistics" (what you have to do with the logistics of this war is questionable) because there's nothing complex about warfare, international diplomacy, and global economics.  Just keep it black & white and let those egg heads make it too complicated...

Apparently Js is quick to disregard my reference to how there are absolutely complex issues to address in trying to win freedom from insurgents & terrorists in Iraq, and win the war against militant Islam, which *surprise* would include international diplomacy & global economics.  Yet the idea of winning vs losing is indeed a black and white concept.  Not surprising in the least, I'm afraid.  So much easier to deflect such support for the war against militant Islam and those trying to throttle democracy in Iraq as simply those not intellectual enough & unable to grasp the complexities (& of course the nuances) of the situation in the middle east.  We is just too dum     :-\ 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:20:01 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 12:06:13 AM »
Last i heard diversity of opinion was encouraged with the values of those opinions vetted by the back and forth of the marketplace.

I don't much care about the marketplace and I think the people's ability to vet opinions is vastly overrated (see my point on anti-intellectualism above).

I do agree on diversity of opinion needing to be encouraged though.

"I think the people's ability to vet opinions is vastly overrated "

What is the alternative?