Author Topic: From a member of the military in Iraq  (Read 1194 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
From a member of the military in Iraq
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »
http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/11/on_the_ground_i.html#more

On the Ground in Iraq

by
Larry C Johnson

I received the following from a friend in the U.S. military who is currently serving in Iraq.  I've changed some of the identifying details to protect the author:

I wrote to you several months ago about the deterioration in the Junior Officer Corps. I can say that that story of several JO’s leaving is true, having confirmed it through several friends. That, however is not why I write to you today. I am currently serving in Iraq and have a few words about this place.

First of all, and most importantly, we are doing no good here. There is nothing we can do at this point to end the fighting. It has become systematic throughout the country. The corruption is indeed as they say in the press. It is impossible, even if America wanted to, to reconstruct anything because the men that could and should assist have been fired by those who are corrupt and in power. Additionally, those that do want to make a change are hampered by a constitution that is, at best, a joke. The Iraqi constitution is an amalgamation of old and new, federal and central. The result is an inability to get anything done at the provincial level, with regards to reconstruction, because most decisions are made by the central government. Nothing can be enforced because of federalism. Thus the mess is structural, cultural, and created by the United States.

I do not say these things lightly. I have witnessed this first hand, through meeting locals. I have also done much research on the structural issues. I am also so fed up with this mess. I honestly came to this country hoping, despite my politics, to at least do some good. Yet, now all I want is for us to get out as soon as possible. I do not speak in isolation. Nearly every military and civilian I work with feels the same aimless drift here. Especially since the election, we are all waiting and hoping that something will be decided soon. We all hope that we are not held hostage to political games in WashingtonWe all know that this is a fight not worth fighting and with no possible chance for “victory”. Thus, we hope for change as soon as possible so that we may get out before a sniper finds us, or an IED destroys us. We see that it is only going to get worse for us.

In my judgment withdrawal is already creeping, but in a way that is dangerously slow. It was as though it was designed to stay below the radar. In other words, cut back a little here and there, as far as troops go. I honestly think the best thing for us to do is to pull back. We have no good options and that is the least bad for us. We can’t after all our rhetoric engineer a coupe to put in a strong man. We can’t add more troops, as that is part of the problem. Honestly at this point the American public would not support an increase large enough to fix this, and we do not have the troops to give. Partition is happening on the ground, you can see that in Kurdistan.

We control the SLOCs (Strategic Lines of Communication) and most pipelines worth a damn go through Turkey.  Prices may spike for a little while but that, in my opinion is not a horrible option at this point. It would be about time some sacrifice is made. And I am sure you saw that just being here, without much of a goal and knowing that this is near the end is devastating to morale. Not only that, there is a certain point that the little cut backs I just mentioned could start becoming dangerous, force protection wise. Kurdistan by the way definitely has its shit together—clean streets, security, and a growing economy.  Strategically, we do not need Iraq.  I am more than willing to expound on any single point in my summary above. I really appreciate your blog and what you bring to the discussion. Please keep up the good work, as there are several of us who are avid readers. Take care brother

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.