Author Topic: Euro MPs urge easing liquids ban  (Read 686 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Euro MPs urge easing liquids ban
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
In my opinion, I don't care what the cost vs. benefit factor is, the restrictions should be left in place. And it's not that big of a deal. I've flown internationally since the ban was put enacted and it's probably one of the simpler security checks (easier than, say, looking for lighters a passenger is carrying).

Euro MPs urge easing liquids ban
By Alix Kroeger
BBC News, at the European Parliament in Strasbourg 

The European Parliament has backed a resolution which calls for the EU to review restrictions on taking liquids on board aeroplanes.
It is purely advisory as members of the European Parliament (MEPs) have no power to impose any measures.

But the resolution says the security benefits may not justify the cost of the restriction.

And it calls for the ban to be lifted unless further conclusive evidence can be brought forward to support it.

MEPs have voted for an urgent review of the EU regulation which says air travellers can only take liquids on planes in containers of less than 100ml.

The regulation was brought in after police in London said they had broken up a plot to bring down as many as 10 planes using liquid explosives.

If there is no new evidence to show that the regulation makes air travel safer, MEPs want the ban repealed.

The resolution says they recognise the need for security, but measures need to be realistically designed to reduce risk.

And it says the extra cost and inconvenience of the liquids ban may not be outweighed by the security it provides.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/6980208.stm

Published: 2007/09/05 14:27:20 GMT

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Euro MPs urge easing liquids ban
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 10:29:42 PM »
Part of the problem is that the formula for this explosive is getting around.

The airliner can provide the water people need for a flight , what other fluid is really necessary?