Author Topic: A Date That Will Live in Infamy  (Read 1221 times)

Richpo64

A Date That Will Live in Infamy
« on: December 07, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Date That Will Live in Infamy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »
Is today living in infamy?

Does that mean we are all in infamy today?

Are we infamous, or is it the Japanese that are infamous?

Would that include Pokemon and Hello Kitty? Are they infamous? Surely not Hello Kitty.

It was a nice turn of phrase when FDR wrote the speech, but after 66 years it seems to have been become rather hackneyed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 03:51:23 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Richpo64

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
>>It was a nice turn of phrase when FDR wrote the speech, but after 66 years it seems to have been become rather hackneyed.<<

Considering Japans action lead directly to 600,000 American, 1.75 Million Japanese causalities and reshaped the world, I'd say it still qualifies.

::)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
Is today living in infamy?

Does that mean we are all in infamy today?

Are we infamous, or is it the Japanese that are infamous?

Would that include Pokemon and Hello Kitty? Are they infamous? Surely not Hello Kitty.

It was a nice turn of phrase when FDR wrote the speech, but after 66 years it seems to have been become rather hackneyed.

To you maybe , but I remember the Maine , the Alamo and Bunker Hill.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »
I think remembering San Jacinto, Iwo Jima and Yorktown would be more productive, since the Alamo and Pearl Harbor were actually rather humiliating defeats.

I wasn't born when any of these happened, so I think being reminded is a beter use of the word.

Richpo64

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:14:32 PM »
I'm sure if we celebrated American military victories we'd be called dangerous jingoistic war mongers.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
I think remembering San Jacinto, Iwo Jima and Yorktown would be more productive, since the Alamo and Pearl Harbor were actually rather humiliating defeats.

I wasn't born when any of these happened, so I think being reminded is a beter use of the word.

Actually, the battle of the Alamo is a perfect example of a courageous band of badly out-numbered fighters giving their lives for a noble cause -- the perfect example of the American love for the Underdog. Pearl Harobr was a rallying cry as well, and served a worthy purpose, even through all the devastation.

So, in a way, they are really success stories.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

yellow_crane

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:11 PM »

Actually, the battle of the Alamo is a perfect example of a courageous band of badly out-numbered fighters giving their lives for a noble cause -- the perfect example of the American love for the Underdog. Pearl Harobr was a rallying cry as well, and served a worthy purpose, even through all the devastation.

So, in a way, they are really success stories.

I wonder if the lion's share of Americans consider Halliburton a noble cause?

I wonder if the lion's share of Americans consider Blackwater a success story?

We live in different times now, and if we as a people still care about noble causes and true success stories, my guess is that these Neocon imperialists would fail to earn the respect necessary to elevate them to the level of the Alamo and Pearl Harbor.

We were victims then; we are not the victims this time. 

Richpo64

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »
>>I wonder if the lion's share of Americans consider Halliburton a noble cause?<<

First, I doubt most Americans understand what Haliburton actually does because of the lies and distortions of the left. Second, I doubt most Americans know that Haliburton has lost vast somes of money in Iraq and over 100 Haliburton employees have been killed in Iraq.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
It is trylu sad how much money Halliburton has lost in Iraq. And yet, and yet, they are so filled with the milk of human kindness, they have not left. Nay, they continue to charitably contribute in any way they can, so firm is their belief in Iraqi democracy.

Nearly all those who have been killed are executives, and members and chairmen of the board.