Author Topic: double standards  (Read 861 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
double standards
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:36:39 PM »
So today, for the first time in something like 20 years, here in Columbia, SC, we have a new mayor. He's a Democrat, which isn't the problem (well, it is a problem, but not the one this post is about), and he is African-American, which is also not the problem. He ran a campaign about how he was going to unite us all into "One Columbia". Which almost made me gag, but that also isn't the problem. Part of the problem is the day of the election he ran an ad that basically said people should vote for him because he is black. The other part of the problem is that the ad contained an direct endorsement by a reverend.

I think we all know what would have happened if a white man had advertised that people should vote for him because he is white. Yes, that would have been wrong. Seems to me running an ad that suggests one should vote for an African-American because of his race is also wrong.

The reverend endorsing a political candidate is not something I think is wrong. I believe a person does not give up his First Amendment protection of free speech just because he preaches at a church or has a Doctorate of Divinity. But I am fairly certain that had a reverend or preacher directly endorsed a non-African-American candidate in a political campaign ad, there would have been an outcry.

I just don't get this sort of double standard. And I just felt like getting this off my chest.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: double standards
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
It's been happening for quite a while, Prince.  I'm guessing that this is not something that just happened in your view, more so a rhetorical "straw that broke the camel's back", given its close personal proximity to yourself

Many of us have been saying precisely the same thing for quite a while.  You also being one of those.  The hypocritical double standard is beyond "in your face" now.  It's transparent, but if you're a non-white, that somehow provides you an immunity bubble from criticism.  Anyone daring to criticize, like yourself, best be ready to be branded a racist.

The whole demonization effort by the Tea Party folk, as personified by Tee is another perfect example of double standard hypocrisy, as he invalidly tries to paint them as this massive racist blob, while he twists and squirms to rationlize why its ok for minority gangs to get away with thuggery, rape, even murder, because....well, they've had a rough life, and its all because of those racist white folk
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
On a slightly related note...I used to live in Columbia SC myself, and commuted to Ridgeway, where i worked as a traveling therapist at a skilled nursing facility.  Loved the area, loved the weather, even when it got really stormy.  Couldn't beat the Golf Courses in either Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head     8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »
the problem is all these issues don`t counter each other out.

if anything they all encourage each other.

and unfortunately the only answer I can see is all parties not ask for equal treatment.

lets face it, it`ll only get worst otherwise.