Author Topic: Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship  (Read 1434 times)

richpo64

Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:28:35 PM »
Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship
December 09, 2008 3:37 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html

"Obviously like the rest of the people of Illinois I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the US attorney's office today," said President-elect Obama this afternoon in Chicago, speaking of the criminal complaint against Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich for corruption. "But as this is a ongoing investigation involving the governor I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time."

Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin.

But there remain questions about how Blagojevich knew that Mr. Obama was not willing to give him anything in exchange for the Senate seat -- with whom was Blagojevich speaking? Did that person report the governor to the authorities?

And, it should be pointed out, Mr. Obama has a relationship with Mr. Blagojevich, having not only endorsed Blagojevich in 2002 and 2006, but having served as a top adviser to the Illinois governor in his first 2002 run for the state house.

That 2002 endorsement came at the same time that Axelrod had such serious concerns about whether Blagojevich was ready for governing he refused to work for his one-time client.

According to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., Mr. Obama's incoming White House chief of staff, Emanuel, then-state senator Obama, a third Blagojevich aide, and Blagojevich's campaign co-chair, David Wilhelm, were the top strategists of Blagojevich's 2002 gubernatorial victory.

Emanuel told the New Yorker earlier this year that he and Obama "participated in a small group that met weekly when Rod was running for governor. We basically laid out the general election, Barack and I and these two."

Wilhelm said that Emanuel had overstated Obama's role. "There was an advisory council that was inclusive of Rahm and Barack but not limited to them," Wilhelm said, and he disputed the notion that Obama was "an architect or one of the principal strategists."

(Emanuel later changed his recollection of this story to Rich Miller's "CAPITOL FAX," saying, "David [Wilhelm] and I have worked together on campaigns for decades. Like always, he's right and I'm wrong.")

Either way, others now around Obama were less enthusiastic about Blagojevich at the time, namely David Axelrod, Obama's senior campaign adviser who will soon be a senior adviser at the White House.

Axelrod had worked for Blagojevich in his past races for the House, but he declined to work on his gubernatorial run.

"He had been my client and I had a very good relationship with him, but I didn't sign on to the governor's race," Axelrod told the New Yorker. "Obviously he won, but I had concerns about it...I was concerned about whether he was ready for that. Not so much for the race but for governing. I was concerned about some of the folks -- I was concerned about how the race was being approached."

On the Chicago TV show "Public Affairs with Jeff Berkowitz" on June 27, 2002, state Sen. Obama said, "Right now, my main focus is to make sure that we elect Rod Blagojevich as Governor, we..."

"You working hard for Rod?" interrupted Berkowitz.

"You betcha," said Obama.

"Hot Rod?" asked the host.

"That's exactly right," Obama said.

In 2004, then-Gov. Blagojevich enthusiastically endorsed Obama for the Senate seat after he won the nomination, and Obama endorsed Blagojevich for his 2006 re-election race in early 2005.

In the Summer of 2006, then-U.S. Sen. Obama backed Blagojevich even though there were serious questions at the time about Blago's hiring practices.

At the time, numerous state agencies had had records subpoenaed, with U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald telling authorities he was looking into "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" with a "number of credible witnesses."

In an interview with the Chicago Daily Herald in July 2006, then-Sen. Obama said, "I have not followed closely enough what's been taking place in these investigations to comment on them. Obviously I'm concerned about reports that hiring practices at the state weren't, at times, following appropriate procedures. How high up that went, the degree at which the governor was involved, is not something I'm going to speculate on.

"If I received information that made me believe that any Democrat had not been acting in the public interest, I'd be concerned," Obama said.

That said, Mr. Obama said, "If the governor asks me to work on his behalf, I'll be happy to do it."

Apparently the governor did. At the Illinois State Fair in August 2006, Obama spoke on Blagojevich's behalf.

"We've got a governor in Rod Blagojevich who has delivered consistently on behalf of the people of Illinois," Obama told the crowd.

In January 2007, Blagojevich's office reserved the Old State Capitol for Mr. Obama's presidential announcement at Obama's request.

Blagojevich spokeswoman Rebecca Rausch told reporters that "Representatives for Sen. Obama contacted the governor's office regarding use of the Old State Capitol. We contacted the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and reserved the Old State Capitol for the Senator on February 10th."

The Old State Capitol is where President Abraham Lincoln delivered his "House Divided" speech in 1858.

Fitzgerald today said that the charges the government was making about Blagojevich "would make Lincoln turn over in his grave."

-- jpt

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Interesting.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:24 PM »
So, when Fitzgerald has completed this investigation, will it actually be complete?  Apparently the last one is still ongoing to many, since certain folks are still not indicted or not arrested for anything
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 06:45:29 PM »
So, when Fitzgerald has completed this investigation, will it actually be complete?  Apparently the last one is still ongoing to many, since certain folks are still not indicted or not arrested for anything

Don't know.

???

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 06:50:11 PM »
The best part of this is that you know Blow-Dry Rod will start singing like a canary when it comes time for a plea-bargain. And in Illinois, god only knows what's going to come out of that. He knows where all the bodies are buried.

Popcorn, anyone?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
The best part of this is that you know Blow-Dry Rod will start singing like a canary when it comes time for a plea-bargain. And in Illinois, god only knows what's going to come out of that. He knows where all the bodies are buried.

Popcorn, anyone?

Silent or dead in the morning.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »
OMG, it gets even worse.

Patti Blagojevich's real estate success under scrutiny

By David Kidwell and John Chase

Chicago Tribune reporters

October 19, 2008

Illinois First Lady Patricia Blagojevich walked away from her successful career as a real estate agent earlier this year amid scrutiny from federal agents probing whether clients hired her to win favor from her husband's administration.

With her commissions plummeting and her most famous client, Antoin "Tony" Rezko, in prison on a corruption conviction, her once-lucrative career all but came to an end.

The Blagojeviches are not charged with any wrongdoing, and the financial affairs of first ladies are rarely the subject of public scrutiny. Since the Tribune first disclosed her eight-year financial relationship with Rezko, though, authorities have taken an interest in many of her real estate deals.

The Blagojeviches still refuse to say how much her home-based River Realty Inc. made from Rezko.

But a Tribune analysis of public records, along with real estate listings and interviews, reveals it earned more than $700,000 in commissions on other deals after her husband began raising money in 2000 for his first run for governor.

Of those commissions, the Tribune found that more than three-quarters came from clients with connections.

Patricia Blagojevich declined to be interviewed. Lucio Guerrero, a spokesman for the governor, said Patricia Blagojevich was hired on her merits and it would be a "disservice" to suggest otherwise.

Blagojevich, 43, now works as a full-time fundraiser for the Chicago Christian Industrial League—a job she started in September after a longtime political ally of her husband's talked to the director of the nonprofit homeless agency.

Before that, she had a brief job as an investment banker after touting her ability to land state business, according to the head of North Star Investment Management.

"I'm not going to lie to you, it would have been great for us to get one of the state pension funds," said Peter Contos, a North Star executive listed as the contact on her federal license application.

"But after three months she brought in no business," Contos said. "Obviously, her connections weren't as strong as advertised."

Records show she began working for the Chicago investment banking house in March, just before passing her federal exam to become an investment banker. She passed her state exam in May.

Contos said his firm decided to hire Blagojevich, who has a degree in economics from the University of Illinois, because of her political ties. He said she was recommended to him by an administrative staff member.

"This is not the kind of firm for rookies," he said, adding there are no training programs. "You come here, you either bring in business or you do not succeed. We had several talks with her about that."

Contos said he and others at North Star encouraged her to find work at a bigger firm, but she touted her connections and her ability to bring in business. "That's what we were thinking—it was worth a shot. Usually we tell people to work at a big firm for a few years and come here when they have clients and can bring business."

Contos said he and his partners had no knowledge of any federal investigation and she did not disclose any on her federal license application. He said Blagojevich answered "no" to the question on the 28-page application that asks, "Have you been notified, in writing, that you are now the subject of any investigation?"

Contos said he began learning of the scrutiny surrounding her after she started working for him.

"We started thinking better of it," he said. "Even if she had brought in some business, the last thing I need is to be dealing with federal regulators the rest of my life."

Politics also played a role in Blagojevich securing her current job as the main fundraiser for the Chicago Christian Industrial League.

Judith McIntyre, then the executive director of the grass-roots organization, said she spent six months searching for a development director before speaking with Gery Chico, a former U.S. Senate candidate whom McIntyre knew from their days working for Chicago Mayor Richard Daley.

"[He] said, 'I have a friend looking for a job,' " McIntyre recalled. "A few days later, the person called. It was Patti."

During a tour of the agency's West Side headquarters, Blagojevich and McIntyre hit it off, and McIntyre offered her the job, she said.

"I didn't see her as Mrs. Blagojevich. I saw her as someone who was touched by what she saw and wanted to help," McIntyre said. "She wants to so give back."

Chico said he didn't really help Blagojevich get the job—she did that on her own.

"I thought Mrs. Blagojevich would be an excellent fit," Chico said. "She wanted to do something of this nature, and I think I knew a little about what drives her. And let's face it—the first lady could help an organization like this."

dkidwell@tribune.com

jchase@tribune.com

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-patti-main-19-oct19,0,7653044,print.story

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
yeah i would be shocked if BlagOBribe "sings like a canary"
even if he did have the full bill of goods on Obama being involved.

Former Dem Gov BlagOBribe would have to be the "Fall Guy"
(can I say that yet?....former Democratic Governor?....lol)
if he squealed he may find himself dead very quickly.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked: