Author Topic: Obama 'Unpresidential,' 'Petulant' 'Dividing Us': Langone  (Read 437 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Obama 'Unpresidential,' 'Petulant' 'Dividing Us': Langone
« on: July 28, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/43924372

Obama 'Unpresidential,' 'Petulant' 'Dividing Us': Langone

President Barack Obama's conduct during the debate over the debt ceiling has divided the country and will inflict damage that will last well after the battle is over, former New York Stock Exchange director and Wall Street stalwart Ken Langone said.

While he believes a debt deal will get done and in fact favors a plan closer to what the Democrats are proposing, Langone told CNBC that Obama's behavior has been "unpresidential."

"He is dividing us as a nation," Langone said. "He's not bringing us together. He's willfully dividing us. He's petulant."

The co-founder of Home Depot sharply criticized the president for promoting class warfare through his repeated attacks against "fat cat" business executives and his targeting of tax loopholes.

In sum, the behavior is symptomatic of Obama's disrespect for the office he holds, Langone said.

"Ronald Reagan would never go into the Oval Office without his jacket on—that's how much he revered the presidency," he said. "This guy worked like hell to be president...Behave like a president. Let me look at you as a model to how we should behave. What does he say? Fat cats, jet airplanes. What is the purpose? Us versus them.

"The thing I fear the most about the future of America is...divide us, we all lose. This has got to stop."

Langone said people with his wealth should pay more taxes, but the debate shouldn't be framed as rich against poor.

"He is not acting presidential. He is behaving in a way designed in my opinion to divide us, to make us look at each other with skepticism, with suspicion. That is the end of America as we know it," he said. "The destruction he is inflicting by his behavior will carry on long after we settle the debt limit."

Nevertheless, Langone said he expects a debt deal to happen as the warring factions will keep battling until the final hour. He suggested that Congress follow the adage of "keep it simple, stupid" when addressing the problem and conveying the solution to the American public.

"The debt ceiling will be raised, number one, by next week," he said. "They'll come to some juncture where they're going to say, 'This is not what I wanted but it's the best I can get.'"

One solution he proposed is higher taxation, particularly for the wealthier in society who are getting benefits they don't deserve from entitlement programs such as Social Security.

Cuts to those programs have been an especially sensitive part in the debate as deficit reducers on the right insist some reform will be needed in entitlements while opponents on the left insist on higher taxes for higher earners.

Langone agrees with the higher taxation argument as long as those revenues are used toward debt reduction.

"People like me have to understand that it isn't business as usual," he said. "I think it's a travesty for a man of my success and my means to get anything from the federal government. I think I should pay more taxes."

© 2011 CNBC.com

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Obama 'Unpresidential,' 'Petulant' 'Dividing Us': Langone
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
Each and every time they have proposed to raise the debt ceiling in the past, it has been done by Congress without a hitch.

This time, the stupid 'baggers are making an issue of it. They are simply throwing a tantrum until they get their way. That is not how our government should operate.

The President's proposals have been fair and equitable. The Republicans are mesmerized by Grover Norquist.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »
The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Guess who

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »
Grover Norquist did not elect any congressman with his one vote.

He didn't break any arms for those signitures.

Lots of people voted to send a message to Washington, unfortunately there is no way to send a sophisticated message this way.

If congressmen were to start honest work , they might be good Quantum Mechanic reasearchers.

The truth is and isn't,depending on whether you have looked yet.

The right direction is all directions, with each direction  having its own probability.