Author Topic: Will Hillary be a gracious loser?  (Read 1488 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Will Hillary be a gracious loser?
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

Can Mrs. Clinton Lose?
By PEGGY NOONAN
February 8, 2008

If Hillary Clinton loses, does she know how to lose? What will that be, if she loses? Will she just say, "I concede" and go on vacation at a friend's house on an island, and then go back to the Senate and wait?

Is it possible she could be so normal? Politicians lose battles, it's part of what they do, win and lose. But she does not know how to lose. Can she lose with grace? But she does grace the way George W. Bush does nuance.

She often talks about how tough she is. She has fought "the Republican attack machine" that has tried to "stop" her, "end" her, and she knows "how to fight them." She is preoccupied to an unusual degree with toughness. A man so preoccupied would seem weak. But a woman obsessed with how tough she is just may be lethal.

Does her sense of toughness mean that every battle in which she engages must be fought tooth and claw, door to door? Can she recognize the line between burly combat and destructive, never-say-die warfare? I wonder if she is thinking: What will it mean if I win ugly? What if I lose ugly? What will be the implications for my future, the party's future? What will black America, having seen what we did in South Carolina, think forever of me and the party if I do low things to stop this guy on the way to victory? Can I stop, see the lay of the land, imitate grace, withdraw, wait, come back with a roar down the road? Life is long. I am not old. Or is that a reverie she could never have? What does it mean if she could never have it?

We know she is smart. Is she wise? If it comes to it, down the road, can she give a nice speech, thank her supporters, wish Barack Obama well, and vow to campaign for him?

It either gets very ugly now, or we will see unanticipated--and I suspect professionally saving--grace.

I ruminate in this way because something is happening. Mrs. Clinton is losing this thing. It's not one big primary, it's a rolling loss, a daily one, an inch-by-inch deflation. The trends and indices are not in her favor. She is having trouble raising big money, she's funding her campaign with her own wealth, her moral standing within her own party and among her own followers has been dragged down, and the legacy of Clintonism tarnished by what Bill Clinton did in South Carolina. Unfavorable primaries lie ahead. She doesn't have the excitement, the great whoosh of feeling that accompanies a winning campaign. The guy from Chicago who was unknown a year ago continues to gain purchase, to move forward. For a soft little innocent, he's played a tough and knowing inside/outside game.

The day she admitted she'd written herself a check for $5 million, Obama's people crowed they'd just raised $3 million. But then his staff is happy. They're all getting paid.

Political professionals are leery of saying, publicly, that she is losing, because they said it before New Hampshire and turned out to be wrong. Some of them signaled their personal weariness with Clintonism at that time, and fear now, as they report, to look as if they are carrying an agenda. One part of the Clinton mystique maintains: Deep down journalists think she's a political Rasputin who will not be dispatched. Prince Yusupov served him cupcakes laced with cyanide, emptied a revolver, clubbed him, tied him up and threw him in a frozen river. When he floated to the surface they found he'd tried to claw his way from under the ice. That is how reporters see Hillary.

And that is a grim and over-the-top analogy, which I must withdraw. What I really mean is they see her as the Glenn Close character in "Fatal Attraction": "I won't be ignored, Dan!"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120241915915951669.html
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Will Hillary be a gracious loser?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:05:52 PM »
Golly gee!

The Wall Street Journal doesn't like Hillary!

What a revelation!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
The Wall Street Journal doesn't like Hillary!

the fat cats on wall street did quite well under bill clinton
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »
Nixon: I believe Governor Brown has a heart, even though he believes I do not. I believe he's a good American, even though he feels I am not. I'm proud of the fact that I defended my opponent's patriotism. You gentlemen didn't report it, but I'm proud that I did that. And I would appreciate it for once, gentlemen, if you would just print what I say.

For 16 years, ever since the Hiss case, you've had a lot of fun -- a lot of fun. But recognize you have a responsibility, if you're against the candidate, to give him the shaft, but if you do that at least put one lonely reporter on the campaign who will report what the candidate says now and then.

I think all-in-all, I've given as good as I've taken. But as I leave you I want you to know -- just think what you're going to be missing. You won't have Nixon to kick around any more -- because, gentlemen, this is my last press conference.

Thank you and good day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechnixon1.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You culdn't loose much uglyer than this , but this was recovered from and a presidency won soon enough.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »
I remember seeing Hillary's sense of royal privilege a few months back, before the primaries started.  I think it was Katie Couric that was interviewing Hillary.  She asked Clinton, "What will you do if you are not the candidate?"  Hillary said "I will be the candidate."  Katie asked again, "Yes, but what if you aren't?"  Hillary stated emphatically "I WILL be the candidate."  Katie, seeming a little taken aback by the repsonse asked, "You don't believe Senator Obama can win?"  Hillary, her eyes flashing with annoyance said "I WILL be the candidate."  It was like a freakin' mantra.

I would like to have seen Mike Wallace doing that interview.  Katie backed off.  Mike would have grabbed ahold of her and started shaking.  We might have seen a meltdown if the questioning had continued.  As it was Hillary was not going to let a woman question her right to the throne.  An aggressive reporter might have backed her into a corner and gotten some real exciting footage. 

I believe she has been humbled, however, and would handle a loss with grace now.  It wouldn't be sincere, but it would be strategic.  Hillary may be arrogant but she is not stupid.   Her tearful "breakdown" a few months ago was just what the doctor ordered for her image.  I have been watching her campaign ads here in Virginia and she looks very nice, sounds calm and reassuring and comes off as soft.  A Hillary loss in '08 would not be the end of her aspirations to glory, and she is not stupid enough (I think) to punctuate this campaign with proof that what all of the naysayers have been saying is true.  She knows she has an image problem and she is smart enough to work on it.

If Barack takes the nomination (and I don't believe he will) I think Senator Clinton will be at the forefront of his supporters for about a week.  Then she will get back to the business of representing the fine people of New York and wait for the next chance.  Of course, Barack could conceivably offer her the VP slot, but I doubt it.  If he did he had better wear a bullet proof vest in his sleep.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
Of course, Barack could conceivably offer her the VP slot, but I doubt it.  If he did he had better wear a bullet proof vest in his sleep.

ROFL

I said this the other day, when I was discussing with a friend a possible Obama/Clinton ticket.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:32:55 AM »
I said this the other day, when I was discussing with a friend a possible Obama/Clinton ticket.

Two words:  Vince Foster
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Knutey

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Stray Pooch

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »
Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

LOL!  Well quoted, Knutster.