Author Topic: Palin spent more on clothes than was announced  (Read 6648 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Palin spent more on clothes than was announced
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
I don't think Hillary's pantsuits looked bad on her, and I doubt they cost her many votes.

I thought Palin looked really good in her new duds. Better than Cindy McCain or Michelle Obama, even. Not that this is in any way a qualification for public office.

The answer to what will Palin do with her new wardrobe is whatever she can get away with: they might take it all back, they might take some of it back, they might let her have it and 0say they took it back and gave it to some charity. I really don't care personally. As I said, if they were clever, they could auction her clothes off and get more back than they cost. Of course someone would make a nasty comparison to the Romans auctioning off Jesus garments, and that would be bad PR for some people for a day or so. I am pretty sure that Palin will wear her clothes if she gets to keep them. I would lay 4 to q odds that she won't.

Michelle Obama dresses nicely, but that red and black dress she wore made her look fatter than I think she really is, in my opinion.

This has t be a problem with celebrities: the main reason, I hae observed, why women like to bring clothes home from expensive mall shops is that they can bring them home, wear them to a party, and return then afterwards. This is harder to do if the entire planet has seen a celeb wearing the clothes, though.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

crocat

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2008, 07:45:08 PM »
I don't think Hillary's pantsuits looked bad on her, and I doubt they cost her many votes.

I thought Palin looked really good in her new duds. Better than Cindy McCain or Michelle Obama, even. Not that this is in any way a qualification for public office.

The answer to what will Palin do with her new wardrobe is whatever she can get away with: they might take it all back, they might take some of it back, they might let her have it and 0say they took it back and gave it to some charity. I really don't care personally. As I said, if they were clever, they could auction her clothes off and get more back than they cost. Of course someone would make a nasty comparison to the Romans auctioning off Jesus garments, and that would be bad PR for some people for a day or so. I am pretty sure that Palin will wear her clothes if she gets to keep them. I would lay 4 to q odds that she won't.

Michelle Obama dresses nicely, but that red and black dress she wore made her look fatter than I think she really is, in my opinion.

This has t be a problem with celebrities: the main reason, I hae observed, why women like to bring clothes home from expensive mall shops is that they can bring them home, wear them to a party, and return then afterwards. This is harder to do if the entire planet has seen a celeb wearing the clothes, though.

You say that ... women wear and return.... like it is a general practice.  I can speak for myself, my mother, daughter, daughter in law and say we have never done that.  I even bought an outfit for $450.00  and wore it once.  I had picked up a kitten to cuddle at a party and after 5 minutes realized that the fabric was crap and it had little snags all over it.  While I was not happy with the fact that I had only worn it once... I did figure that I was 50% to blame and that the store would hardly accept the other 50% and just marked it off as a loss.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 07:52:37 PM »
You say that ... women wear and return.... like it is a general practice.
=================================================================

It seems to be a general practice here in Miami. I have never taken a poll. I'm sure many do this, but others do not. My mother and sister would not do it, but they rarely shopped at ritzy stores. I have returned mail order clothes once or twice due to them not fitting. I do not buy clothes in malls, ever. I measure or try on everything carefully, and make sure I like it before I decide to buy it.

I bet this practice varies a lot from one city to another. I would imagine that in LA, Miami, and Las Vegas, more women wear and return than in Kansas City, Minneapolis or Salt Lake, due to differences in cultural values. Of course, a real survey would have to be made, and that would be difficult, since people often do one thing and say another.

It is a good idea to wear cheap clothes when dealing with felines.

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 08:10:47 PM »
I've never done the 'buy and return' bit, either, although I know there are people who do that.  When we went shopping for Anna's prom dress last spring, I was amazed at the number of (very expensive) dresses on the racks with stains, snags, loose and missing beadwork, pulled seams...you name it.  Sure, the store discounted those dresses a bit.  But I just could never understand the mentality behind the process.  Even after spending more than I'd planned on for Anna's dress, I wouldn't dream of returning it. What kind of lesson does that teach?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 08:29:57 PM »
Even after spending more than I'd planned on for Anna's dress, I wouldn't dream of returning it. What kind of lesson does that teach?

I would say, a bad one, if you want honest children.

Maybe a good one, if you want ones who consider fancy clothes to be more important than being strictly honest.