Author Topic: Survive peak oil  (Read 2981 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Survive peak oil
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:29:35 PM »
First off, Gasoline prices were nothing near what they were when Clinton was president. Therefore, the issue was considerably less crucial.

Providing information that a large number of people are unaware of would tend to reduce consumption. I do not see where this is anything like being a "nanny state". I am not advocating having the cops stop people with underinflated tires.

At the moment, we are bombarded with ads by the local cops to "click it or ticket", and both the practice of punishing people for not using their seatbelts and advertising this every fifteen minutes is a lot more nanny-statish than suggesting that people check the air in their tires each week or so.

If the president were to use what Theodore Roosevelt called the "bully pulpit", it would provoke a lot of talk about how useful it would be for people to check their tire pressures.

It is a lot harder to do now than it used to be, because gas stations used to have reliable air compressors for use at no charge, and now most have unreliable piece of shit coin operated things that tend to not word well or at all. They are frequently vandalized, I suspect because they take money and do not work, or alow too little time to check all tires for a rather exhorbitant price. Many people do not even know how to check tire pressure or use a compressor.

My experience is that less than half of the population are even aware that they can buy their own compressor for a reasonable price.   

The removal of tariffs on Brazilian alcohol would probably result in a larger savings of gasoline imports.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »
At the moment, we are bombarded with ads by the local cops to "click it or ticket", and both the practice of punishing people for not using their seatbelts and advertising this every fifteen minutes is a lot more nanny-statish than suggesting that people check the air in their tires each week or so.

I'm against that as well.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
It is slightly heartening to me to see the term 'peak oil' in mainstream media since I used to do posts about it occasionally and would receive reactions similar to those for the RBE.

No "peak oil " makes sense to me.

Oil is a resorce with a limit , like most resorces.

What? Plane is admitting that resources are finite?  ;)

(I'm joking with you)
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
It is slightly heartening to me to see the term 'peak oil' in mainstream media since I used to do posts about it occasionally and would receive reactions similar to those for the RBE.

No "peak oil " makes sense to me.  Oil is a resorce with a limit , like most resorces.

(I'm joking with you)

What, Js is admitting that a commodity with finite resources can be largely influenced by supply & demand??

(Me is joking, too   ;D  )
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »

No "peak oil " makes sense to me.

Oil is a resorce with a limit , like most resorces.

(I'm joking with you)

Resorces are as finite as an alphabet .

What you do with resorces is as infinite as poetry.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
I agree that oil is a finite resource. On the other hand, since this planet is largely covered with water, it stands to reason that much oil lies beneath the oceans. Some is too far down to extract by any technology, but probably at some time, a large amount can be extracted by technologies not yet invented or not yet cost-effective.

Many years ago, an ancestor of mine was pissed at the high price asked for the local limestone purveyor for a house he wanted to build in Gainesville, Texas. This was back in 1896. So he went to a neighboring county ad bought the mineral rights to a rather large farm, and quarried his limestone on the cheap. In the 1950's, exploration  determined that there was a very high probability of oil on this property. (This is what a document my great aunt once received said). In later years, the Red River was dammed up to form Lake Texoma, and the property was submerged. My sister and I inherited the mineral rights in the 1990's, and every three years, I get a check for $35 from a fellow who peddles oil leases in this area.

I will know when oil has reached the point where it is cost-effective and I assume environmentally safe to drill under Lake Texoma, which is one of the largest recreational lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. So far, nothing has happened, so I assume that it is in some way less lucrative than drilling in ANWAR.   

I suspect that tycoon status will not be reached by my generation, because oil is not so scarce or expensive to extract as the oilmen say it is.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
I agree that oil is a finite resource. On the other hand, since this planet is largely covered with water, it stands to reason that much oil lies beneath the oceans. Some is too far down to extract by any technology, but probably at some time, a large amount can be extracted by technologies not yet invented or not yet cost-effective.

Many years ago, an ancestor of mine was pissed at the high price asked for the local limestone purveyor for a house he wanted to build in Gainesville, Texas. This was back in 1896. So he went to a neighboring county ad bought the mineral rights to a rather large farm, and quarried his limestone on the cheap. In the 1950's, exploration  determined that there was a very high probability of oil on this property. (This is what a document my great aunt once received said). In later years, the Red River was dammed up to form Lake Texoma, and the property was submerged. My sister and I inherited the mineral rights in the 1990's, and every three years, I get a check for $35 from a fellow who peddles oil leases in this area.

I will know when oil has reached the point where it is cost-effective and I assume environmentally safe to drill under Lake Texoma, which is one of the largest recreational lakes in Texas and Oklahoma. So far, nothing has happened, so I assume that it is in some way less lucrative than drilling in ANWAR.   

I suspect that tycoon status will not be reached by my generation, because oil is not so scarce or expensive to extract as the oilmen say it is.

If the oil feild is productive you need not leave it under the lake.

A well can be drilled at a slant from the hills near the lake.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:59 PM »

=====================================================
I personally, not having any drilling rig nor money to supply one, will have to leave it under the lake until such time as someone with a drilling rig desires to buy a lease. Of course they can drill at a slant. My point is that this is not nearly so demanding a chore as drilling in 1000 feet of water as in the Gulf of Mexico, or drilling during the three months or so when drilling is practical on the Alaskan North Slope, and they have not done it.

Therefore, I conclude that either someone does not believe that this price will stay at above $130 per barrel, or else the do believe that other places would be more productive.

It is also possible, but somewhat unlikely, that no one knows of previous exploriation in this area, or the 1950's estimate is incorrect.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 04:35:16 PM »

=====================================================
I personally, not having any drilling rig nor money to supply one, will have to leave it under the lake until such time as someone with a drilling rig desires to buy a lease. Of course they can drill at a slant. My point is that this is not nearly so demanding a chore as drilling in 1000 feet of water as in the Gulf of Mexico, or drilling during the three months or so when drilling is practical on the Alaskan North Slope, and they have not done it.

Therefore, I conclude that either someone does not believe that this price will stay at above $130 per barrel, or else the do believe that other places would be more productive.

It is also possible, but somewhat unlikely, that no one knows of previous exploriation in this area, or the 1950's estimate is incorrect.

If it is there , it isn't at present growing less valuable.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »

==========================================
It is without value until it is extracted. It would be worth more extracted today than in 1990.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 08:04:31 PM »

==========================================
It is without value until it is extracted. It would be worth more extracted today than in 1990.

I presume the trend is not going to reverse , the unharvested value is still growing.

Is there a well in the area?

The pool might give its treasure to the well on the right before the well on the left gets dug.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 10:09:06 PM »
To my knowledge, no one is pumping oil anywhere in the area.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »