Author Topic: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo  (Read 6912 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 01:21:13 PM »
I had the impression that was planned

Probably.....when confronted with an armed response, many end up taking their own life
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
An adequate deterrent would be one that prevented them from entering the school or whatever with guns, before they could shoot anyone.

As if that wasn't already in place.  Schools are already declared "gun free zones".  Is that not enough of a deterrent??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »

Probably.....when confronted with an armed response, many end up taking their own life

as I stated the armed response will be factored in from now on and maybe required. meaning a student may need the responder`s weapon as part of the plan. we really don`t know who will be hired for this job. earlier we talked about using veterans in these school. those guys don`t exactly blend. look at how adult thought how columbine happened and noticed so many wrong conclusions. meaning teenagers thoughts are not predictable to us and pretty sure we don`t know what deters a nutjob teen.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »
We can come up with many a hypothetical, but one I would consider low is that the bad guy needs the guard's gun to begin with.  Nearly every one of the school shootings in question didn't include the bad guy getting his gun after he got on campus.  So while it might play a role in some elaborate plan, the easiet deterrent to that is that the gun be concealed, so the bad guy doesn't know who is or isn't armed, plus you have more than 1 armed person on campus. 

This legislation is related to teachers being trained and legal to carry a weapon onto campus, not just guards.  No teacher is going to wear their gun externally, as to broadcast that "they're packing".  That's the great deterrent ocf CCW holders, and areas that allow for CCW carriers to enter/exit their establishment.....no one knows who has a weapon, so no one person can be targeted 1st, much less disarmed and their weapon used to kill in mass.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:35:27 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
I doubt that this will prevent anyone from getting shot. It is just a sop thrown to the NRA and the gun nuts. After all, it will cost nothing to pass this law.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »
Your doubt is duly noted....as is the knee jerk derrogatories aimed at the Oligarchy, oops, I mean Big Oil....oops, I mean Rubio...oops, I meant Cruz....ooops, I meant Reagan,...oops, its NRA this time. 

Amazing how much more value I apparently place on a life saved, than you do.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »
     There is too much variety in situations to come up with something that will always work.

Having an armed person in the way might have worked well at the Sandy Hook school , where several of the unarmed teachers behaved heroically and there was little ambiguity in the situation.

People planning bright futures do not commit suicide even if not rational.

Even when the attacker intends suicide by cop , they might go to a gun free zone because their blaze of glory will be more bloody as a wolf in the sheepfold than as a wolf attacking a lion pride. There are suicides who attack police stations or set themselves up where the police will come to them, but these get a lot less splash in the press.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:01 PM »
Grabing the gun scenerio will be slim but the death by cop maybe potentionally be a factor. Remember that done by adults so we'll see if this will be attractive to teens.

Why must it be a teacher?  Remember this will require a teacher to end a students life potentially. True that person is protecting others but that don't mean he or she can handle it. I notice no mention it be voluntary also

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:12 PM »
I cannot imagine requiring a teacher to go armed into a school against his will, or tellijg him that he cannot have the job unless he agrees to be packing heat.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
   Having a small percent armed is enough to have a positive effect, especially if it is hard to tell who the armed ones are.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
Even police officers get help after they shoot a criminal and thier way more trained to end a life.. Taking a life may sound doable but when the situation arrive i got some doubt these teachers will do the job and likely get shot themselves.

Only a fraction of these teachers will actually do this and the odds are kind of bad he or she will be able. I think security guards are more inclined to shoot a teenager than a teacher.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
I think you are right, kimba.

I do not think this law will save any lives.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
I just think requiring teachers specificly to be trained to shoot minors is not a good idea. janitors maybe since their more likely to be unnoticed.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »
I cannot imagine requiring a teacher to go armed into a school against his will, or tellijg him that he cannot have the job unless he agrees to be packing heat.

I cannot imagine any law that would mandate that a teacher be packing heat, either, or lose their job if they didn't.  Where in this law does it require such a leap of illogic??
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:38:17 AM by sirs »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
I just think requiring teachers specificly to be trained to shoot minors is not a good idea. janitors maybe since their more likely to be unnoticed.

Where is this "requiring" part?  From the little I've read, the law merely allows a teacher/faculty/staff to carry a firearm, with the requisite training.  And if a teacher would rather not, they don't lose their job, if they chose not to carry a firearm or undergo the firearms training.  It's no different than any other person defending them-self or loved one(s), just with an added layer of training involved.....which is a GOOD thing.  The more people who can respect and safely handle a firearm, the safer EVERYONE is.  And if its a minor who's aiming that gun at you, you better be ready to shoot them.

Its amazing this idea that the bad guy will sit and wait the extra several minutes for the police to arrive, before starting to kill others.  I'm here to tell you, that's not going to happen.  And remember, the teacher/staff/faculty aren't being trained to be a police officer.  They're not going out on calls, and putting their life on the line every day.  They're simply being trained to better defend the students, in the rare event of a wound be mass killer(s), entering the school, who aren't going to wait for the police to show up