Author Topic: Finally, Senate to investigate tape destruction  (Read 1558 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally, Senate to investigate tape destruction
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/sports/football/01nfl.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Senator Wants N.F.L. Spying Case Explained
Right to left: Brendan Smialowski for The New York Times; Mark Humphrey/Associated Press

Senator Arlen Specter, left, wants N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell, right, to explain the rationale behind destroying evidence that the Patriots cheated.

By GREG BISHOP and PETE THAMEL
Published: February 1, 2008

The ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee wants N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell to explain why the league destroyed evidence related to spying by the New England Patriots.

New England Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 by the N.F.L. after the Patriots were caught stealing defensive signals.

In the stretch of 12 days, from Sept. 9 to Sept. 20, the Patriots were caught filming the Jets? defensive signals in violation of N.F.L. rules, ordered to hand over all tapes of illegal filming to the league office, fined $750,000 and made to forfeit a first-round draft pick.

Then the N.F.L. announced it had destroyed the evidence.

In a telephone interview Thursday morning, Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania and ranking member of the committee, said that Goodell would eventually be called before the committee to address two issues: the league?s antitrust exemption in relation to its television contract and the destruction of the tapes that revealed spying by the Patriots.

?That requires an explanation,? Specter said. ?The N.F.L. has a very preferred status in our country with their antitrust exemption. The American people are entitled to be sure about the integrity of the game. It?s analogous to the C.I.A. destruction of tapes. Or any time you have records destroyed.?

Mr. Specter first wrote Mr. Goodell about the tapes on Nov. 15. After more than a month passed without a response, Mr. Specter wrote to him again.

The league responded to Mr. Specter late Thursday afternoon. A spokesman said the letters did not reach the league office until late last week. The league added that it spoke to Mr. Specter?s office several times during November and December, but that the letters were never mentioned. Mr. Specter said the league had told his office last week it would not respond until after the Super Bowl.

Joe Browne, the N.F.L.?s executive vice president for internal affairs, said, ?The irony is that we have been in contact with the senator?s office several times in recent weeks.? He added that ?the issue of these letters was not discussed.?

Mr. Specter called Mr. Browne?s response ?untrue.?

?It?s the same old story,? Mr. Specter said. ?What you did is never as important as the cover-up. This sequence raises more concerns and doubts.?

When Mr. Specter was asked if he could envision a situation in which employees of the Patriots or the N.F.L. were called to testify before the committee, he said he wanted to take the investigation ?one step at a time.?

?It could,? Mr. Specter said. ?It?s premature to say whom we?re going to call or when. It starts with the commissioner. He had the tapes, and he made the decision as to what the punishment could be. He made the decision to destroy them.?

Mr. Specter said it had not been determined when Mr. Goodell would be called before the committee.

Matt Walsh, a Patriots employee from 1996 through 2003 who spent much of that time in the video department, said he would like to see the issue resolved.

?Was it a surprise that they were doing it or a surprise that they got caught?? Mr. Walsh said of the videotaping incident. ?I guess that if you?re doing something that people suspect you of, and then you start doing it to your former assistant coaches, then you?re pushing your luck.?

Mr. Walsh declined to say whether he would be willing to testify before a Congressional committee. He also said he had not been contacted by the N.F.L. about the Patriots or about videotaping.

?I?d like to see a resolution to the situation, so I don?t have to have field media calls, especially after being out of the league for more than four years,? he said.

Mr. Walsh, an assistant golf pro at the Ka?anapali Golf Resort in Lahaina, Hawaii, declined to get into specifics of what he did while with the Patriots? video department, citing confidentiality agreements he signed with the team. Greg Aiello, an N.F.L. spokesman, said the league did not have confidentiality agreements, but teams were free to make their own with their employees.

?After speaking to my lawyers and whatnot, I can?t really talk to you about anything,? Mr. Walsh said. ?And I can?t show you anything.? Mr. Walsh said he had been approached by two news organizations, a ?sports network? and ?another media outlet that doesn?t even specialize in sports.? He said he would talk about his experiences only on his terms.

?If someone wanted me to talk and tell them things, I would craft an agreement where they would agree from now until the end of my existence to pay for any legal fees that came up in regards to this, whether I?m sued by the Patriots, the N.F.L., anybody else,? he said. He also said he would want an indemnification agreement, with the news media company paying any fines or damages found against him in court. (It is against the policy of The New York Times to be part of such an agreement.) Mr. Walsh said he sought the legal advice after receiving telephone calls from the news media soon after the taping incident. He said he did so to protect himself and his family.

[.......]   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:22:41 PM by Lanya »
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Finally, Senate to investigate tape destruction
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
What a set of priorities.  Cheating at football trumps torture of prisoners as an issue of interest to the U.S. Senate.  Comical isn't the word I was looking for, maybe surreal?

"The United States Senate:  White Male Millionaires Working for You"

It's like, OK God, WHERE is that wall of fire, where is that mighty flood?

But it's not up to God, I guess, it's up to the citizens of the country.  A country desperately in need of a real regime change.  A country sunk in moral bankruptcy.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »
Big deal! Get a grip.

<..and he rolls his eyes...>
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:48:04 AM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
I suppose they should just drop every other item of business just to take on T's favorites.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
Yeah, any fool can see that football games are much more important on the national agenda than torture of prisoners.  You guys have completely lost your moral compass.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
We pay more money as consumers willingly to finance grown men playing with balls than we do for torture and wars unwillingly through taxes.

Personally, I find professional ballgames boring.
Sports are not boring to play, but they are dreadful to watch, at least for me.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
I find they're interesting for five to ten minutes, then I'm switching the dial again.  It's because I don't give a shit who wins or loses.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:03:05 PM »
I think the way people actually managed to sit in front of their teevee for three and a half hours to watch sixty minutes of play is by betting on the game, so that they have the two biggest stimuli known to Americanus Capitalensis: fear (of losing and derision) and greed (of winning and being able to deride the losers).
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
Exactly.  I found that out on my first visit to the racetrack decades ago.  I figured the intellectual challenge was to pick the winner from the Racing Form and then watch to see if I was right.  After the first couple of races, the thrill began to wear off.  Then my friends suggested placing a $2.00 bet on a long-shot.  Holy fucking shit! those $2 made all the difference in the world.  Still to this day my bets are in in $2 or $5 amounts, and never more than two or three bets per race.  But I try to bet every race.  What a difference a few bucks makes. 

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:10:54 AM »
I think the way people actually managed to sit in front of their teevee for three and a half hours to watch sixty minutes of play is by betting on the game, so that they have the two biggest stimuli known to Americanus Capitalensis: fear (of losing and derision) and greed (of winning and being able to deride the losers).

Damn, and to think I enjoyed the Super Bowl without a dime bet on it...
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:54 PM »
Yeah, any fool can see that football games are much more important on the national agenda than torture of prisoners.  You guys have completely lost your moral compass.

I guess you are about to be tortured then, MT:

Bills owner won't commit to team's future in Buffalo

TORONTO (AP) ? Ralph Wilson is convinced Toronto is ready to support an NFL franchise. The Buffalo Bills owner wouldn't say whether that team might one day be his.
Wilson steered clear from discussing whether the Bills would ever relocate north of the border. "Don't worry right now," was the best answer he could provide at a news conference Wednesday announcing the Bills would begin playing an annual regular-season game in Toronto beginning this season through 2012.

Based on what Wilson saw during a half-hour drive from the airport to a downtown hotel, he was convinced Canada's financial capital and North America's fifth largest sports market was ready for the NFL.

"I can answer that in the affirmative," Wilson said. "It reminds me of my trip to Dallas a few months ago. They're building in Dallas, Texas, everywhere, cranes, brand-new structures. And I see the same thing here in Toronto."

It was certainly a different view than what he usually sees in economically challenged Buffalo

"It's no secret, Buffalo is diminishing in size," Wilson said.

Asked then to assure Bills fans he's committed to keeping the team in Buffalo, the 89-year-old declined to guess.

"Hey, I can't speculate what's going to happen in the future," Wilson said. "But don't worry. Don't worry right now. Does that answer your questions?"

Toronto will formally land on the NFL map later this year, when the Bills become the league's first franchise to play an annual regular season game outside the United States. The deal also includes the Bills playing three preseason games ? one every other year, starting this year ? in Toronto.

Dates have yet to be announced.

The games would be played at the downtown Rogers Centre, a domed stadium with a retractable roof and home of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Wilson stressed the team's decision to expand its market to Toronto was one out of necessity and considered a chance for the small-market franchise to generate much-needed additional revenue.

"We've overturned all the rocks in western New York," Wilson said. "We've got to do something so we looked this way to the north and we came up with some great partners."

Those partners are Blue Jays owner Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors.

The two have formed a partnership to pursue an NFL franchise. The deal with the Bills is considered their first concrete step toward achieving that goal, and an opportunity to showcase Toronto's potential to the league.

The deal with the Bills wouldn't preclude Rogers and Tanenbaum from making bids to buy and relocate other NFL franchises if they go up for sale.

Rogers said he is focused on working with the Bills over the next five years, and described speculation of the franchise relocating to Toronto as "exaggerated hooey."

"We didn't say we weren't interested, and we didn't say that we were," Rogers said. "This is good for everybody."

The next step is completing the financial terms of the deal to determine how much the Bills will be compensated for leasing the eight games to Rogers and Tanenbaum. Under the agreement, the Bills will provide their team, the NFL will provide an opponent, while Rogers Centre will be responsible for selling tickets, concessions and promoting the event.

Without going into detail, Rogers made no secret that ticket prices will be expensive.

"We're going to charge high rates and we're going to have all the seats sold," Rogers said.

When it was noted that there would be some tickets would be available for under $100, Rogers held up two fingers and said, "Two," drawing a laugh from the crowd.

Reports have speculated that tickets would be sold for an average $250 per seat. Bills tickets at Ralph Wilson Stadium, by comparison, average about $46.

The Bills first approached Rogers and Tanenbaum last summer about the possibility of playing games in Toronto.

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2008-02-06-toronto_N.htm 
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Rich

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »
Oh come on Prof, there's no way the Bill's could ever leave Buffalo. They have so much history there. They've been very successful and they have a huge fan base. There's no way that could ever happen.

Signed,

A Cleveland Browns fan

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
did you sign it Toronto Mapleleaf fan?
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D