Author Topic: Dear Hillary  (Read 1958 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dear Hillary
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »

Dear Hillary,

I have to admit, you have me worried. And for more than just the usual reasons.

In the week since it became clear you would be facing Donald Trump in the general election, I've sensed giddy delight coming from your camp.

Believe me, I get it.

Trump has incredibly high unfavorable ratings. Women hate him, as do Hispanic voters. The very things that made him attractive to the Republican base "the anger, the fear-mongering, the misogyny" could drive millions of undecided voters into your outstretched, welcoming arms.

And all of this comes on top of fundamentals that give a substantial edge to the Democrat in any presidential contest these days. From 1992 to 2012, the Democratic nominee always won 18 states, plus the District of Columbia, that are worth a combined 242 electoral votes, just 28 short of the 270 needed to win the presidency. Over the same six elections, Republicans have consistently won 13 states with a total of 102 electoral votes. That means a generic GOP candidate has a much narrower path to victory than a generic Democrat. Add in The Donald's distinctive negatives, and it probably looks like you'll be facing a cakewalk in the fall.

Don't believe it.

For starters, I hate to break it to you, but you're not especially popular either. Sure, Trump's unfavorables are higher than yours, but yours are pretty damn high! And it's not like those numbers are likely to move very much. You've been a fixture on the political scene for close to a quarter century now. And those young people who know the least about you have been Bernie Sanders' most passionate supporters in the primaries. That might not prove fatal in the general election, but it's not exactly good either.

And then there's Trump.

With 10 contests left to go in the primaries, Trump has already surpassed Mitt Romney's vote total for the entire 2012 primary season by roughly 700,000 votes. And he did it against a more sharply divided field, and while winning a smaller portion of overall votes cast (though that number will narrow between now and the end of the primary season on June 7). Republicans are energized, with turnout up sharply from four years ago. This means that the baseline assumptions that have held since 1992 may not pertain this time around.

In every single one of those elections, the Republican candidate has run on pretty much the same cluster of issues: tax cuts, especially for the wealthy; muscular internationalism; social conservatism; free trade. That's also the matrix of positions Democrats of your generation are conditioned to respond to and attack.

But Trump is different. He will hit you from the populist far right on immigration and free trade. He will hit you from the far left on the Iraq war, Libya, and Syria. He will directly challenge you on economic policy by supporting an increase in the minimum wage and higher taxes for the wealthy.

And he will relentlessly, mercilessly attack you (and your husband) personally.

How will you respond to the onslaught? I sure hope the answer is that you have no idea yet. Because if you think the answer is obvious or simple, you're deluding yourself.

It's certainly going to take more than selling merchandise emblazoned with utterly lame slogans like "Dangerous Donald" and "America Is Already Great." Isn't it a tenet of progressivism that America isn't already great? That our national greatness is always a work in progress, a goal achieved only in the fullness of time? If conservatives are prone to nostalgia, the left is inspired by eschatological hopes for the future. Barack Obama, with his frequent references to the arc of history bending toward justice, certainly knows this, and I'm sure you do, too. After these feeble gestures, I can't say the same about DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz. You might need to have a talk with her.

No Democrat has ever run against a candidate like Trump. He overturns every settled ideological and temperamental expectation of normal politics. He will go after you with a ferocity we've never seen before, and the assault will be unremitting, yes, on the stump, in TV and radio ads, and in the debates, but also in 24/7 cable news coverage and an endless stream of infectiously quotable tweets, half of them capped by what's become this election cycle's all-purpose three-letter dismissal: Sad!

So don't be cocky. Fire anyone on your staff who tells you this is going to be easy.

Then tell the staffers who remain that they need to be nimble, thinking on their feet and outside of the proverbial box. Yes, the Democrats have very real demographic advantages, and that will help ? but not as much as the usual consultants and data crunchers want to assume.

Don't try to define Trump, whether by labeling him "dangerous" or anything else. He's a master of rhetorical jujitsu, instantly turning criticisms and insults into honorifics. Let Trump define himself. Of course he'll try to define you, too "as "Crooked Hillary," among other things, but your self-definition needs to prevail over the one he tries to pin on you. If it doesn't, you'll lose.

Most crucially, you need to show voters by your words and actions that you're everything Trump is not: sober, smart, informed, sensible, level-headed, presidential. Yes, a lot of Americans at all points on the spectrum are angry these days. But are they so angry that when presented with a clear and obvious choice a plurality of them will actually opt for the candidate who is manifestly less sober, less smart, less informed, less sensible, less level-headed, and less presidential?

I don't think they will.

If I'm wrong, your bid for the presidency is doomed, and so, perhaps, is the country.

Sincerely yours,

"A concerned anti-Republican"

http://theweek.com/articles/623410/dear-hillary
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Dear Hillary
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »
Trump only smears people and that makes him look even worse than the person being smeared. When he accused Cruz's father of conspiring to shoot JFK and claimed that somehow that reflected on Cruz even before Cruz was born, he looked like an idiot.
When he claimed that he had investigators looking for info on Obama's birth certificate ans announced "you will be surprised at what they are finding" and then said nothing more about anyone finding anything-- he again looked like an idiot.

He has frequently done this sort of crap and each time he looks like a fool.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
yeah it's really hurt him thus far!

16 KO's

the people know the truth
typical "gotcha" games that worked in the past don't work on Trump
because the people know there are more important things
the people finally realized whats more important than Trump smears is Hillary voting for an Iraq Invasion!
it's called what really matters!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Trump was not presented with the decision to monger a war with Iraq. I wager he was all for it in 2003.

I agree it was a bad decision that turned into a terrible one that was made even more terrible by the clumsy way it was done., I also recall that pretty much everyone in this forum was for it except me and our Canadian Marxist member who has since drifted away,

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
Trump only smears people and that makes him look even worse than the person being smeared. ........
  It might be nice if things worked that way , but evidently they do not.
When he claimed that he had investigators looking for info on Obama's birth certificate ans announced "you will be surprised at what they are finding" and then said nothing more about anyone finding anything-- he again looked like an idiot.

Case in point, Hillary supporters were first to cast doubt on President Obamas birth certificate, she must be made of Teflon since this has hardly stuck to her at all.

I also recall that pretty much everyone in this forum was for it except me and our Canadian Marxist member who has since drifted away,

Yes, I miss that guy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
I find it droll that you fools are badmouthing Clinton for not agreeing with me when I said that invading Iraq was a terrible idea.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »
I find it droll that you fools are badmouthing Clinton for not agreeing with me when I said that invading Iraq was a terrible idea.

Good point , this is both ways isn't it?

So if she gets your vote , what will she be getting your vote for?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »
In this election, for not being a loudmouthed, ignorant, inexperienced bigot from NYC.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:13:57 PM »
In this election, for not being a loudmouthed, ignorant, inexperienced bigot from NYC.

Sorry What?
You left out prevaricating, if you are describing Hillary R Clinton.