BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Lieberman refuses to close door on switching parties
November 12, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. --Sen. Joe Lieberman on Sunday repeated his pledge to caucus with Senate Democrats when the 110th Congress convenes in January, but refused to slam the door on possibly moving to the Republican side of the aisle.

Asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" if he might follow the example of Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont, who left the Republicans in 2001 and became an independent, ending Republican control of the U.S. Senate, Lieberman refused to discount the possibility.

"I'm not ruling it out but I hope I don't get to that point," he said. "And I must say -- and with all respect to the Republicans who supported me in Connecticut -- nobody ever said, 'We're doing this because we want you to switch over. We want you to do what you think is right and good for our state and country,' and I appreciate that."

A spokeswoman for Lieberman would not elaborate when contacted by The Associated Press.

Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont defeated Lieberman in the Democratic primary in August. Lieberman was elected to a fourth term last Tuesday as an independent, and said Sunday his political affiliation will be as an "Independent Democrat."

The Democrats won control of the Senate with 51 seats. Lieberman and newly elected Bernie Sanders of Vermont are the Senate's only Independents.

A switch to the Republicans would bring the Senate to a 50-50 division, giving Republican Vice President Dick Cheney opportunities to break tie votes.

Jeffords' decision to quit the GOP and become an independent tipped the balance of an evenly divided Senate, handing control to the Democrats with a one-vote margin.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/11/12/lieberman_refuses_to_close_door_on_switching_parties?mode=PF

Mucho

Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »
Dream on ,BT. Joe is a political hack and will never give up his seniority which he wont have as a corrupt Repub.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 01:33:44 AM »
He won't need to switch parties to severely influence the cut and run debate. Carl Levine says the dems will introduce legislation calling for a withdrawal to start in for to six months. Odds are Carl will be saying he was taken out of context in this coming week.

Do you really think dem leadership will risk power and pork to the point that they lose both?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:25:22 AM »
I wish he'd move already.  He's a traitor and a mole.   Go play in traffic, Joe.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 05:31:37 AM »
I wish he'd move already.  He's a traitor and a mole.   Go play in traffic, Joe.

Frellin incredible    :(
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 11:34:54 AM »
Joe Lieberman is trying to spin that he is the new powerhouse in the Senate.

In actuality, he has been made irrelevant.  He will stay in the Democratic Party.  He will get to keep his seniority and committees.  And he will do as he is told or face being left out in the cold with the minority party who will become even more of a minority in two years.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:37:57 PM »
In actuality, he has been made irrelevant.  He will stay in the Democratic Party.  He will get to keep his seniority and committees.  And he will do as he is told or face being left out in the cold with the minority party who will become even more of a minority in two years.

I disagree. He brings a huge chip to the table. How he leverages that is up to him. Commitee chairs are not soley based on seniority.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 01:27:20 PM »
Either way, he's out of the Democratic Party technically.

I see that as a plus.  In the same way that I see Ford's loss as a plus for Tennesseeans (and Democrats).

As a matter of fact, I've sent a couple of emails asking questions about the local party and getting involved as a member and not just as someone on the outside throwing eggs.

The elections made me feel like the Dems are making choices I agree with and so it is in my interest to do more than type at my keyboard.  During the Ford campaign, I bumped heads with a certain woman who is influential on the local party and maybe won her respect or somethign because she and I are now on civil speaking terms and she even GAVE me a brand new copy of Crashing The Gate.

The Democratic Party has Lieberman on a hook just as much as vice versa.  He'll play ball and the Dems will let him.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 01:32:15 PM »
He'll play ball and the Dems will let him.

Which brings us back to my point. He will demand softening of any cut and run legislation. The dems will listen because he can not only take all his marbles with him, he can take majority status with him. And in the long run that loss of power and perks will be the deciding factor.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
He's only one guy.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
He's only one guy.

So was Jeffords. The dems have a 51 - 49 majority. Lieberman bolts and Cheney is the deciding vote. Reid won't risk that.