Author Topic: Selling Out 101  (Read 6846 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Selling Out 101
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:02:58 PM »
Asked about his opposition to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward gay service men and women, Frank, one of the few openly gay members of the House, said he would fight discrimination but that issue was "not what we're going to begin with."

"Democrats like winning elections," said Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, the incoming chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee and the longest serving member of the House.

"We want to win elections and we're going to do our best to do so," he said.

"This doesn't mean to get into any extreme positions on any matter. We'll do what makes good sense."

Rep. Charles Rangel of New York, who is about to become chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee which handles tax matters, said, "We don't want really a fight with the president. What we want to do is to prove we can govern for the next two years."

Tsk Tsk.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Selling Out 101
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »
So what is your complaint, exactly?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 11:24:13 PM »
I don't have any complaints.

I'm just surprised that democrats who voted for these guys, don't.

Governing towards the middle is so DLC,  you know.

And we all know DLC is just another name for repub-lite.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »
I don't have any complaints.

I'm just surprised that democrats who voted for these guys, don't.

Governing towards the middle is so DLC,  you know.

And we all know DLC is just another name for repub-lite.

I have complaints.

If they don't enact some kind of lobbying reform asap, I'm going to be working to throw them all out.

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »
Asked about his opposition to the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward gay service men and women, Frank, one of the few openly gay members of the House, said he would fight discrimination but that issue was "not what we're going to begin with."

"Democrats like winning elections," said Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, the incoming chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee and the longest serving member of the House.

"We want to win elections and we're going to do our best to do so," he said.

"This doesn't mean to get into any extreme positions on any matter. We'll do what makes good sense."

Rep. Charles Rangel of New York, who is about to become chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee which handles tax matters, said, "We don't want really a fight with the president. What we want to do is to prove we can govern for the next two years."

Tsk Tsk.

I know it is inconceivable to you that anyone would care about governing instead of stealing the treasury and cutting taxes, but apparently some, including Rangel, do . I am not 100% thrilled with this attitude, but it beats raping, pillaging and looting under the cover of ideology like Repubs .

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »
I am not 100% thrilled with this attitude, but it beats raping, pillaging and looting under the cover of ideology like Repubs .

as long as you are comfortable being decieved, who am i to blow against the wind.

Mucho

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
I am not 100% thrilled with this attitude, but it beats raping, pillaging and looting under the cover of ideology like Repubs .

as long as you are comfortable being decieved, who am i to blow against the wind.

It isnt moi who is deceived. I never thought these guys were all that great. I only wanted the complete fascists that were completely in power to have some restraint on their lunacy. It is you that believes the lying lunacy because of  mere tax cuts.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »

It isnt moi who is deceived. I never thought these guys were all that great. I only wanted the complete fascists that were completely in power to have some restraint on their lunacy. It is you that believes the lying lunacy because of  mere tax cuts.

This doesn't seem like a bad attitude , the disipline of one party is the other party , that is how we have been doing it for a long time.

All we are seeing here is that the Democrats have no real plan of their own , up till now they haved not needed one.

Now they do need one , what will it be?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:57:24 PM »
It isnt moi who is deceived. I never thought these guys were all that great.

So you voted "against" instead of "for".

And as Plane asked, now what?

domer70

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:11:07 PM »
This is sophistry at its worst. Pure bullshit. Barney Frank is as obligated to make "don't ask, don't tell" his first order of business as Ronald Reagan was obligated to leave the Marines in Beirut. Just because YOUR shunted expectations of what should be done don't "govern" the situation, so too an able and serious politician knows how to make sound decisions on policy on the basis of sound politics. At least Frank won't have to mount the "equivalent" of the invasion of Granada to find that political cover. Indeed, why did not GW Bush, upon his ascension, push an anti-abortion law such as was just defeated in South Dakota? He's a sellout, right?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »
If Barney Frank is not in favor of full rights for gay people, by default a traitor to his kind, so be it.

Fortunately he is out of the closet else certain rabid left wing pundits might feel obligated to out his homosexuality and obvious hyprocrisy.

domer70

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »
Comments not worthy of this board, IMHO.

Mucho

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
It isnt moi who is deceived. I never thought these guys were all that great.

So you voted "against" instead of "for".

And as Plane asked, now what?

I do my best to help them come around, that's what. At least I voted against murder , mayhem and National BKruptcy. That is good enough for now. I actually consifer myself a moderate you know. It is you guys that are the wingnuts.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »
Comments not worthy of this board, IMHO.

Thanks for sharing.

When you have time look up the phrase "tongue in cheek" just in case my post whooshed over your head.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 11:02:06 PM »
All we are seeing here is that the Democrats have no real plan of their own , up till now they haved not needed one.  Now they do need one , what will it be?

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle