Author Topic: No to Hugo  (Read 2621 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
No to Hugo
« on: November 27, 2006, 12:09:51 AM »
Another Massive Anti-Chavez Protest in Caracas

Amazing!
It was the largest protest in Venezuelan history!

That would mean, since Chavez blocked the roads going into the city, that 1 of every 3 or 4 in Caracas made it to the protest!

Supporters of Venezuela's opposition leader Manuel Rosales wave the national flag during a campaign rally in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, Nov. 25, 2006. (AP)

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/11/another-massive-anti-chavez-protest-in.html

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: No to Hugo
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:18:55 PM »
And how is this somehow better than those millions who marched against the war?  How is this alleged "anti-Chavez" gathering more impressive than the millions worldwide that marched against the war and was poo-pooed by the right?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
And how is this somehow better than those millions who marched against the war?  How is this alleged "anti-Chavez" gathering more impressive than the millions worldwide that marched against the war and was poo-pooed by the right?

Because the right has jobs.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »

And that somehow makes your opinion more valid that an American who doesn't have a job?  I had a job when I marched against the war.  So I guess you're full of shit.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 03:39:37 PM »
And how is this somehow better than those millions who marched against the war?

Far as i can tell this event has nothing to do with marching against the war. It does show there is considerable opposition to Chavez. The WaPO is questioning the polls coming out of Venezuela.

BTW the Chavez Government blocked the entrances to the city, trying to lower the size of the rally. Apparently they didn't succeed.

Do you think it right for Chavez to curtail rights to assembly?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »
How do you know that he blocked the city streets to keep the number of people marching low?

Maybe he did it to keep cars off the streets to keep people from getting killed in traffic? 

Do you have any statements from anyone in the government saying they blocked the streets because they wanted less people to attend an anti-Chavez rally?

Why didn't you post any pics of the major PRO-Chavez rally that happened the next day?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 04:26:46 PM »
Is it or is it not Beautifull?

Thousands of people in severe disagreement marching on alternate days ?

This is beautifull to me , because they are not shooting each other , the operation of democracy is intended to give the people the chance to have their way without haveing to resort ot Coup or revolution.

If this stays so civilised I will be very impresed even if the winning canadates are not guys I like.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »
How do you know that he blocked the city streets to keep the number of people marching low?

http://www.vcrisis.com/index.php?content=letters/200611251658

Why didn't you post any pics of the major PRO-Chavez rally that happened the next day?

They didn't cross my path. This did however, and i didn't post that either until now:

Chavez says rival plots coup after Venezuela vote
09 Nov 2006 00:14:13 GMT
Source: Reuters

By Saul Hudson

CARACAS, Venezuela, Nov 8 (Reuters) - Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez accused his rival on Wednesday of plotting to stage a coup after his expected re-election next month and warned he would counterattack to put down any violence.

Chavez, who led a failed putsch himself before winning the presidency at the ballot box and then survived a brief coup once in power, denounced what his opponent says is a plan to organize street protests if Chavez wins by fraud.

"They are already calling for violence, already calling for a coup d'etat," Chavez said at a news conference with foreign reporters.

"We are going to prepare a plan of counterattack," he added. "... (If) they go onto the streets and block roads and throw stuff and set things on fire, we would be obliged to impose order," he added.

Opposition candidate Manuel Rosales, who trails far behind Chavez in opinion polls, has said if Chavez tries to steal the election, his supporters would hold peaceful marches demanding a fair count.

But Chavez, who frequently makes wild accusations without providing evidence such as the United States wanting to assassinate him, said the opposition had a three-day plan to instigate a coup.

On Dec. 3, the day of the vote, the opposition, which has complained of fraud in previous votes, will claim the election was stolen, the former army colonel said. The next day, they will bring people onto the streets and the day after, they want to call out the armed forces, he added.

Rosales, the governor of an oil-producing state, has requested a meeting with senior military officers.

But Chavez has said the armed forces have to support his self-styled revolution and publicly accused one officer of holding a suspicious meeting with his opponent's camp.

The president has tried to paint his challenger as anti-democratic and his campaign ads show images of Rosales shaking hands with the man chosen to head the government when Chavez was ousted by a coup for two days in 2002.

The anti-American president says Rosales is backed by the United States, which was the only member of the Organization of American States that did not immediately condemn the coup.

Rosales echoes U.S. charges that Chavez, the top ally of Cuban President Fidel Castro, is anti-democratic and exerting increasing control over Venezuelan institutions.

POST-ELECTION FEARS

Chavez's coup accusations could stoke fears in a polarized country, where many Venezuelans typically stockpile food and emergency items such as torches in case of any breakdown in order after elections.

Independent polls show Chavez coasting to victory because of the majority poor's support for his free spending of oil revenue on health and education programs.

Still, some opposition-linked polls have raised optimism among Rosales' supporters that he can win because he has united the opposition with a campaign focused on the incumbent's weaknesses on unemployment and crime.

Chavez said the surveys, including from U.S. pollsters, were slanted to create a false impression of a tight race and prepare the groundwork for voting-day fraud claims.

In 2004, opposition-linked polls showed Chavez losing a recall referendum and the opposition then said he won through fraud, even though international observers declared his big victory was fair.

Last year, only days before a legislative election, the opposition withdrew, claiming the results would be fraudulent.

As it did with that vote, the government has denied U.S. media reports that the makers of the electronic voting machines used in Venezuelan elections are linked to Chavez's camp.

"If we beat them again, I call on them to show -- for the first time in years -- they are men of honor and recognize reality," Chavez said.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N08342486.htm

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »

And that somehow makes your opinion more valid that an American who doesn't have a job?  I had a job when I marched against the war.  So I guess you're full of shit.

Yes if you were employed and devoted a vacation day to a protest march this shows a level of committment greater than the appearance of an idle guy with nothing better to do.