Author Topic: L'Affaire Spitzer  (Read 23393 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: L'Affaire Spitzer
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 05:43:58 PM »
Ummm, you're joking, right.  Trying to prevent the spread of disease, by making a prime mode of its transmission illegal, you don't get??

Careful. Next thing ya know people will be demanding mandatory vaccines and anyone who objects will be labeled as wanting women to get cancer.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
Ummm, you're joking, right.  Trying to prevent the spread of disease, by making a prime mode of its transmission illegal, you don't get?? 

In other words, it's not a victimless crime.  The victim being the unknowing recipient of an STD, that then has to be treated, or risk infecting countless others......or worse

If it's legal, it's easier to prevent the spread of disease and provide treatment.

Keeping it illegal means that those with diseases try to hide the fact so they don't have to admit to breaking the law...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
In other words, it's not a victimless crime.  The victim being the unknowing recipient of an STD, that then has to be treated, or risk infecting countless others......or worse

If it's legal, it's easier to prevent the spread of disease and provide treatment.

I don't see it, Ami.  How does encouraging more of said behavior ---> decrease the spread of the disease??

Keeping it illegal means that those with diseases try to hide the fact so they don't have to admit to breaking the law...

Many, if not most, are still going to hide it, regardless.  Especially the married folk.  It's an STD.  And simply treating more of them doesn't equate to decreasing its spread.  If anything, it'd likely make it worse, as I referenced above

Careful. Next thing ya know people will be demanding mandatory vaccines and anyone who objects will be labeled as wanting women to get cancer.

I shall.  No mandatory acts will be advocated from this end
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2008, 06:07:54 PM »
As I said to my father yesterday, the only thing stupider than a preacher getting caught "visiting" a prostitute is a politician who has practically made a career or moralistic crusades against prostitution and campaigned on ethics getting caught "visiting" a prostitute.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2008, 06:11:54 PM »
well

if it`s legal, condoms will be required

illegal as it is now ,strangely encourage non-condom use.
people keep forgetting the condom is the most complicated to use form of birth-control.
so it`s super easy to get folks to not use it.

A reason frequently stated that if you make it legal then you can then tax it and impose regulations such as cleanliness and health standards, certainly desirable standards perhaps. The problem is that it violates our Judeo-Chrisitian heritage. Sex is to be within marital confines only. Anything else is taboo and that obviously incldues this issue.

Is there a feasible compromise?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »

I don't see it, Ami.  How does encouraging more of said behavior ---> decrease the spread of the disease??

Many, if not most, are still going to hide it, regardless.  Especially the married folk.  It's an STD.  And simply treating more of them doesn't equate to decreasing its spread.  If anything, it'd likely make it worse, as I referenced above

I shall.  No mandatory acts will be advocated from this end

Geez, the man had three young daughters and an apparently dutiful wife! If he wasn't getting any, he could at least have done what most red-blooded married men do frequently and don't talk (I read last year where married men admit to doing it on an average of five times a week) about which is to:

-- bleed the lizard
-- pound the pud
-- spank the monkey
-- scourge that thang
-- beat their meat
-- waffle the sausage
-- grease the stick
etc...

Of course, "every time you masturbate? God kills a kitten."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

modestyblase

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »
well

if it`s legal, condoms will be required

illegal as it is now ,strangely encourage non-condom use.
people keep forgetting the condom is the most complicated to use form of birth-control.
so it`s super easy to get folks to not use it.

A reason frequently stated that if you make it legal then you can then tax it and impose regulations such as cleanliness and health standards, certainly desirable standards perhaps. The problem is that it violates our Judeo-Chrisitian heritage. Sex is to be within marital confines only. Anything else is taboo and that obviously incldues this issue.

Is there a feasible compromise?

Puritans. They need to visit their therapists and leave the rest of us alone. Why they would want to control others is beyond me. Isn't it tiresome, to invest so much emotion in what other people do?

AND NEW RELATED NEWS: Oh this is fabulous. These men were just begging to get caught, they had to be. The Duke of Westminster is reportedly one of their clients as well: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/03/12/2008-03-12_richest_man_in_england_also_a_regular_of.html?ref=rss

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »
"Puritans. They need to visit their therapists and leave the rest of us alone"

We would.

But the losers get pregnant and/or STD's and then they expect us to foot the bill for their reckless behaviors

"oh i ain't no puritan, i banged everything in sight, dat was my right, now I be a single Mom
with 4 rug rats and i needs FREE CHILD CARE, FREE MEDICAL CARE, FREE FOOD STAMPS, & FREE WELFARE"

yeah you had all the answers then
pay for your own freakin recklessness!
morons!

(btw, when I say "you/morons" thats not directed at anyone in 3DHS)
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

Ummm, you're joking, right.

Ummmmmm, no. I'm not.

Trying to prevent the spread of disease, by making a prime mode of its transmission illegal, you don't get??

So you want to make all premarital sex illegal? No of course not.

So if one gets an STD from not-paid-for sex, that is not a victimless crime? Well, it's not a crime because it's not illegal, but again, why is free sex okay but bought sex wrong?

Legal prostitutes would have obvious reasons to stay healthy and to prove they're healthy and free of STDs. And I'm pretty sure they don't want to have the diseases either. So again, I don't see why STDs would be a reason to keep prostitution illegal.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »

Of course, "every time you masturbate? God kills a kitten."

Is that supposed to be a deterrent?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2008, 07:00:13 PM »
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »

Trying to prevent the spread of disease, by making a prime mode of its transmission illegal, you don't get??

So you want to make all premarital sex illegal? No of course not.

Whew......glad you didn't try going down that path

So if one gets an STD from not-paid-for sex, that is not a victimless crime? Well, it's not a crime because it's not illegal, but again, why is free sex okay but bought sex wrong?

You'll have to ask the legislators.  Are you advocating that any & all sex be made illegal?  I mean, that's the tact you seem to be implying, and certainly not what I am.  The former tends to be a tad more limited in the partners involved, and perhaps that has something to do with the latter being more of a problem, both morally and medically

Legal prostitutes would have obvious reasons to stay healthy and to prove they're healthy and free of STDs.

*snicker*....they might have reasons, but being that Spitzer apparently wasn't wearing anything, and this was a so called high end run organization, I'd say that arguement has little foundation

And I'm pretty sure they don't want to have the diseases either. So again, I don't see why STDs would be a reason to keep prostitution illegal.

See above......men can spread them just as much as the women

And let me ask this follow-up question.  for the folks that support legalizing prostitution, would you support repealing the laws on sharing IV needles?  I mean, if it's being shared between consenting adults, there's no harm, correct?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 07:59:52 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

modestyblase

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
Legal prostitutes would have obvious reasons to stay healthy and to prove they're healthy and free of STDs.

*snicker*....they might have reasons, but being that Spitzer apparently wasn't wearing anything, and this was a so called high end run organization, I'd say that arguement has little foundation

Spitzer tried to talk her out of the condom. She didn't allow it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
in matter with legal prostitution
it`s not making it legal that the prostitute can have sex anyway she want`s like when it`s illegal.
it`ll be government regulate so she/he will require regular checkup and condoms will be used.
ex. nevada
in fact it`ll most likely be zoning restrictions just like nevada so even though legal it`ll not be practiced in just any place.
the tough part is the privacy issue.
spitzer could of gone and done it in nevada where it`s legal,but alittle public
but for the risk of the law he did it illegally.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Spitzer tried to talk her out of the condom. She didn't allow it.

Not what I read.  I'll look around for your version