Author Topic: Truths We Dare Not Speak  (Read 14626 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Truths We Dare Not Speak
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

Are you claiming there are no h2a and h2b visa programs?

Did I say there were no H2A or H2B visa programs?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2010, 08:14:49 PM »
Did I say there were no H2A or H2B visa programs?

Are we suddenly required to be literal now?

And now you're avoiding your new lies in this thread and the obvious flaws in your example of Hanson's plan. Which, according to you, isn't really Hanson's plan.

These programs mirror Hanson's plan.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »

Are we suddenly required to be literal now?

We? But to answer your question, no. I did not say or imply anything about anyone having to be literal. I also did not imply, suggest, insinuate, hint or say that H2A and H2B visas did not exist. All I did was reference your own words. Out of left field, you asked me if I was "claiming there are no h2a and h2b visa programs". What sort of response did you expect?

These programs mirror Hanson's plan.

Then, as the wise man once said, what the hell is his problem?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
Then, as the wise man once said, what the hell is his problem?

I don't think he does. In the case of h2b those with the required skillsets are fast tracked for work visas.

In the case of h2a those seasonal workers needed for agriculture are brought in.

Both have provisions for converting the visas to naturalization.

So perhaps what Hanson was saying is concentrate on those immigrants who add needed value, and prosecute those who bypass the legal methods of gaining access.

And for those who are unskilled, as the wise man said, get a skill.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »

In the case of h2b those with the required skillsets are fast tracked for work visas.

In the case of h2a those seasonal workers needed for agriculture are brought in.

Of course they are. It's so easy no one ever crosses the border illegally to find work. Ooh, no, wait...

So perhaps what Hanson was saying is concentrate on those immigrants who add needed value,

As defined by whom?

and prosecute those who bypass the legal methods of gaining access.

Most of whom would not if the government just took its needless artificial barriers out of their way.

And for those who are unskilled, as the wise man said, get a skill.

They'd like to, but first they have to get past either mountains of red tape or the border guards.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2010, 12:37:16 AM »
they'd like to, but first they have to get past either mountains of red tape or the border guards.

No they don't. Are you telling me Mexico as just one example does not have trade schools and universities?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:17 AM »
If that were a viable option for the poor people who come here for work, wouldn't they be taking advantage of it?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »
I don't know. What has been your experience with technical school education, better to get it at home?  or better to crash the borders of a foreign country?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:19 AM »
My experience is that it still costs money and being literate is a real help. And my understanding is that Mexico's public schools are more often than not worse than ours, and the poorer communities have bad schools and high dropout rates. They're apparently not enrolling in the trade schools in any significant numbers. The folks in the poorer communities that is.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:49:32 AM by Universe Prince »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 02:06:15 AM »
According to wiki Mexico has a 97% literacy rate among school age citizens and a 92.8% literacy rate overall. And they have an extensive distance learning program to bring knowledge to rural areas.

The drop out rate in Mexico is about the same as the drop out rate of Hispanics here.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 03:16:27 AM »
My experience is that it still costs money and being literate is a real help. And my understanding is that Mexico's public schools are more often than not worse than ours, and the poorer communities have bad schools and high dropout rates. They're apparently not enrolling in the trade schools in any significant numbers. The folks in the poorer communities that is.

All very nice, but since when is it our responsibility to be solving Mexico's problems? We have plenty of our own, and our resources, like anyone else's, are finite.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010, 05:24:03 AM »

All very nice, but since when is it our responsibility to be solving Mexico's problems? We have plenty of our own, and our resources, like anyone else's, are finite.

WE share any problem that creates pressure to cross the border.
Now and then It pays us better to solve their problem than to harden the border.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »

According to wiki Mexico has a 97% literacy rate among school age citizens and a 92.8% literacy rate overall. And they have an extensive distance learning program to bring knowledge to rural areas.

The drop out rate in Mexico is about the same as the drop out rate of Hispanics here.

And this means the poor and unskilled are more likely to go try to go to trade school there than come here because...?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

I did not say we should be solving Mexico's problems. But you are correct that our resources are finite. Which is why we should stop trying to get in the way of our accessing more resources.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010, 04:26:28 PM »
And this means the poor and unskilled are more likely to go try to go to trade school there than come here because...?

Unless they have a student visa or some other means of legal entry then their entry is by definition illegal and they should be treated accordingly.

Now some congressperson who agrees with your position on immigration is free to introduce a bill to change current law, but i don't think the mood of the country right now would encourage passage of same.