Author Topic: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis  (Read 9575 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:24 AM »
You mean a mockumentary.....like well, pick pretty much any one of Michael Moore's comedies
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »
I looked him up on youtube. pretty interesting. very confident about what drives invation. woulds love to argue with him about that. espeacially about einstien was motivated by money.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »
Warren Buffett disowned his son Peter's adopted daughter, Nicole, in 2006 after she participated in the Jamie Johnson documentary, The One Percent.

Sounds like a hard core leftist to me.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
If you say so.  How does one "disown" a family member?  How do they "own" them in the 1st place?  Is there a preset monetary value, based on family rankings?  I must have missed that class
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
How does one disown a family member?

They quit speaking to them or supporting them in any way. Happens all the time in rich as well as poorer families.

But that has little to do with your assertion that Buffett is a hard core leftist. Not sure why you are dodging explaining the charge.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »
You just said so yourself.  Are you dodging your own assertion now?

And disown seems to mean not own any more...unless....you're using it figuratively, and not literally....kinda like, I was

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
You just said so yourself.  Are you dodging your own assertion now?

Oh that is weak.

And disown seems to mean not own any more...unless....you're using it figuratively, and not literally....kinda like, I was

No i was quoting wikipedia which i assume was using the literral.

disown (third-person singular simple present disowns, present participle disowning, simple past and past participle disowned)

To refuse to own or to refuse to acknowledge one’s own.

Lord Capulet and his wife threatened to disown their daughter Juliet if she didn't go through with marrying Count Paris.

Usage notes

Particularly used of parents regarding their children, and stronger than the similar estrange, which can also be used of children regarding their parents, or of siblings.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disown

Kindly define the term "hard core leftist" when used figuratively vs when used literally.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
So, your passing the buck to wikipedia for their use of disowning, which again has the literal connotation of no longer owning, which of course, takes me back to my original query, of is there a preset monetary value, based on family rankings?  Perhaps its wikipedia "projecting". 

Hmmmm, inquiring minds, and all that, since they can't answer

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
I believe the definition speaks for itself. Feel free to search other online resources if you feel that this definition is inadequate.

I see no mention of chattel, though your Argumentum ad absurdum, seems to indicate that you believe that family is made up of shareholders with certain values assigned.

But that's ok. If you can't back up your claim that Warren Buffett is a hard core leftist, I understand. It's what you do, it's who you are.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Own....as in belonging to, as in ownership, as in being in possession of.  Disown would technically be the no longer owning of whatever was being owned in the 1st place.  I mean if we're going to focus on being hyperliteral & play these semantic games with me, you so enjoy, vs actually debating the topic(s) at hand.  I think I understand, it's what you do...it's who you are. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
Given a choice between Buffett and Friedman, I'd say Buffett knows more.

One of the heirs to the Johnson & Johnson fortune did a documentary on being filthy rich and interviewed Friedman and pretty much made a fool of him. It is on Youtube.

How about what he said there on this Donahue segment?
Any errors in that ?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
funny thing about families disownment is alot of times the parents don`t understand why the children don`t call or visit. I`m serious. I see it alot in inter-racial couples

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
If you can't look up a word and understand it's definition, i can't help you.

And apparently your decision to neither define hard core leftist or provide examples as to how Warren Buffett would fit into that definition, leads me to believe that you become very uncomfortable with having your assertions challenged because your assertions are gospel and should not be challenged.

We all have our idiosyncrocies, and while mine isn't loaded with a bunch of demeaning insults, it is straightforward, and apparently others with a similar disposition of believing their word as gospel, like myself, can't be bothered with either backing up where I'm wrong and/or just throw garbage.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »
I just wiki warren,not exactly a normal family dynamic to begin with. but his relatively simple lifestyle makes sense for him to do investments. His lifestyle allows him a more personal view of spending trend no computer would be able to gather. he even pointed out he rarely uses a computer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
apparently your decision to neither define hard core leftist or provide examples as to how Warren Buffett would fit into that definition, leads me to believe that you become very uncomfortable with having your assertions challenged because your assertions are gospel and should not be challenged.

You can believe that....you'd be wrong.  Even he who shall not be named, debunked that conclusion, when he was still on speaking terms with me, at the time he was responding, I think to Xo.  But far be it for me to try and rattle any sense into yas