General Category > 3DHS

Allen should 'fess up and be done with it.

<< < (8/8)

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: Michael Tee on October 02, 2006, 03:03:27 PM ---The segregated housing of Boston or Chicago was in all probability ILLEGALLY segregated, I don't have the details but there isn't a thing in the Illinois or Massachusetts state constitutions that I'm aware of that would have sanctioned segregated-by-law facilities of any kind in either state.

--- End quote ---

As I mentioned earlier, the Supreme Court decision Plessy v. Ferguson sanctioned "segregated-by-law" facilities. The Supreme Court speaks at a national level, not at the state level.

--- Quote from: Michael Tee on October 02, 2006, 03:03:27 PM ---The riots in Boston, and I believe in Cicero Illinois, were by WHITE racists protesting the laws that gave blacks the equality that allowed them to move into their suburbs.

--- End quote ---

The group protesting in Cicero was led by Martin Luther King, Jr. You're not suggesting that King led a group of racist whites in protest, are you?

The_Professor:
Plane made an interesting and intriguing point about racsists representing racsists. Why mgiht this be any dfferent than whites representing whites in Congress or blacks representing blacks or cajuns representing cajuns or homeschoolers representing a town of homeschooling families or?? Is the principle similarl????

Plane:

--- Quote from: The_Professor on October 02, 2006, 11:18:09 PM ---Plane made an interesting and intriguing point about racsists representing racsists. Why mgiht this be any dfferent than whites representing whites in Congress or blacks representing blacks or cajuns representing cajuns or homeschoolers representing a town of homeschooling families or?? Is the principle similarl????

--- End quote ---

Racism is a good thing to have less of in general , in specific cases it is hard to find exceptions in which more racism improves anything .

It is not better or worse than division of peoples by other factors like class or religion , is is just one of those devils tools that almost anyone can find doing dirty work here and there almost all the time almost everywhere.

It is a conceit of the north that they are virtuous and free of this devil , well lucky them if so , I kind of doubt it.

In a democracy the people can have what they want if they want it long enough , what the people are persueded is good for them the government is sure to try.

It is possible to invade , occupy , controll a territory and force them to do right till they get used to it , but the much superior method is to teach the truth and change what the people want .

MT points out that a very rough Racism survived the abolition of slavery by at least a century , but was that racism then killed back somewhat by government or has there really been a change of heart in the course of generations? Forceable occupation and Fiat replaced slavery with chain gangs, the Boll wevel and two world wars  changed our economy , scandal and embarrassment changed the chain gangs and the nonviolent SCLC was very persuasive to a generation and to leadership that was getting ready for change.

I wonder if the entire change could have been accomplished non-violently , I don't know .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version