General Category > 3DHS

Allen should 'fess up and be done with it.

<< < (2/8) > >>

R.R.:

--- Quote ---But did everyone put a severed deer head in a black family's mailbox?
--- End quote ---

There's no evidence Allen did that.

BT:

--- Quote ---Mikey spews: If the white voters of Virginia really gave a shit about blacks or the fight against racism, George Allen by now would be dead in the water.  His opponent would have opened a 40-point lead.  The fact is, his worst sin, in the eyes of most white Virginians, is a breach of social convention - - a convention whose sole value is preventing them from looking like the racists that almost all of them are.
--- End quote ---

And yet Webb, his Democrat opponent is accused of doing the same thing. And Webb used to be a Reagan Republican, you know,  one of those states rights types, and we all know that they are racist as the day is long.

So all things being equal, what does Webb bring to the table that Allen doesn't, other than wanting to cut and run from Iraq.

_JS:
I used the n-word once. I learned it from my grandmother. My dad politely came into my room and told me that he'd kick my ass if he ever heard me use it again (he was a drill instructor for the Army at the time). It didn't take me long to appreciate the reasons not to use it for more than just fear of having my ass kicked. It helps of course that I've always gone to schools that were very mixed ethnically, so it was never a foreign concept to me.

It amazes me to see so much racism today. There are still parents who scramble to get their kids into schools with no black children. There are towns and subdivisions that have groups of people who make a concerted effort to run out black or Hispanic families. I'm not talking about the distant past either, this is now.

As for Virginia, this really doesn't surprise me. I agree with Pooch. I'm tired of politicians that whimper away from questions, be they Democrats, Republicans, Independents, or what have you. I'm not surprised someone dug some similar dirt on the Democratic candidate either. The sad news is that there are parts of Virginia where this will probably win votes (*cough* Lee County *cough*).

Amianthus:

--- Quote from: _JS on September 29, 2006, 10:16:30 AM ---It amazes me to see so much racism today.

--- End quote ---

And yet, I see more racism in the northern states than in the south. All while the northerners complain about "southern racism."

domer:
Two things should be noted, Ami, about your last post. "Racism" or "ethnocentrism" seems to be a peculiar form of an historical, political orientation to the world. In a sense, it's a (necessary?) scourge of the human condition until eradicated. This fits in perfectly with the conception of human nature enshrined in our constitution: vying good and evil with a stellar architecture needed to help channel people to the moral, salutary way of living. In this sense, racism exists in the North.

But just as truly, though unofficial structures may sprout up (and be deconstructed) based on these base instincts in the North, the South went ever farther in degree and official sanction of racism, making it the law, and all that implies. This phenomenon gives Southerner racism its particular virulence, historical insult and continuing threat.

While, in a sense, the North is "working things out in the social-political arena," the South is embodying a once-offficial viewpoint of the government, with all its inimical implications, a far more corrosive and dangerous phenomenon than in the North.

When will repair eradicate history in the South? Not yet, but there's hope.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version