Author Topic: Survey: Who Would Be Best Suited to Lead Us Now?  (Read 12739 times)

domer

Survey: Who Would Be Best Suited to Lead Us Now?
« on: December 03, 2006, 01:29:41 AM »
Of all the politicians who have run for or occupied the American presidency in my lifetime (I was born in 1948), who would be the one best suited to lead us out of this desperate time for world peace: a quagmire in Iraq, now in civil war; the tenuousness of the Lebanon US-supported government; the never-ending strife in Israel-Palestine; the surge of Iran to leadership of the Muslim world; the potential for a Sunni-Shi'ite violent schism; and the general backdrop of proliferation and aggression against which all this plays out. Personally, my preliminary inclination is to choose Eisenhower. He knew war, but more importantly was deft at the kind of diplomacy that is needed both to bring it off successfully but also to keep it from spreading.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Survey: Who Would Be Best Suited to Lead Us Now?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 01:41:28 AM »
That's who I choose.

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

domer

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 01:45:31 AM »
This isn't an idle or trivial exercise, as I'm sure you recognize, Lanya. It provides benchmarks against which our incumbent can be tested, and it points the way to traits and policies that apparently don't come to him naturally. But that is too bad: Bush must do what is right for our country and our world.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 02:47:43 AM »
You ask the wrong question.

The right question is in January when your team takes the spotlight, which of them will display the right stuff.

Leaders aren't found by looking backwards, they are forged by the fire of the moment.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:39:14 AM »
Of all the politicians who have run for or occupied the American presidency in my lifetime (I was born in 1948), who would be the one best suited to lead us out of this desperate time for world peace: a quagmire in Iraq, now in civil war; the tenuousness of the Lebanon US-supported government; the never-ending strife in Israel-Palestine; the surge of Iran to leadership of the Muslim world; the potential for a Sunni-Shi'ite violent schism; and the general backdrop of proliferation and aggression against which all this plays out. Personally, my preliminary inclination is to choose Eisenhower. He knew war, but more importantly was deft at the kind of diplomacy that is needed both to bring it off successfully but also to keep it from spreading.

I dont think that Eisenhour would really suit , he would probably try to win the war.

We want To win?

No ,we want Nixon ,Peace with Honor Nixon.

Nixon would not only get us out of Iraq with a convinceing loss , he would then recognise Iran and get trade going without demanding anything like human rights from them.

domer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 09:01:44 AM »
We study history for a reason, BT.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 10:35:37 AM »
I dont think that Eisenhour would really suit , he would probably try to win the war.

We want To win?

Nixon would not only get us out of Iraq with a convinceing loss , he would then recognise Iran and get trade going without demanding anything like human rights from them.
=======================================================
Your knowledge of history might just be a tad flawed.

Eisenhower was elected in 1952 and by 1953, the Korean War cease-fire was established and the fighting and dying stopped.

Nixon was elected in 1968, and re-elected in 1972. Thousands of US troops died until the war finally drug to a humiliating close, after Nixon was impeached and Ford was installed. It was not so much peace with honor as it was a huge lie about Nixon's secret plan to end the war, which no one has still heard explained, 30 years later, followed by the most humiliating scenes in US history, with people clinging to the skids of helicopters, helicopters costing millions being pushed into the sea, an airplane load of Vietnamese babies crashing on take-off, ande South Vietnamese President and Satrap Thieu barely getting his plane into the air, so loaded it was with the gold reserves of his puppet regime, as he flew into exquisite exile in Hong Kong.

The War in Vietnam outlasted Nixon, a lying thief who was impeached for trying to subvert democracy.

Not that it matters, because neither Eisenhower nor Nixon can be resurrected.
Some ratwing weenies would probably reelect Nixon, so it is a blessing that he is permanently deceased.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 12:15:13 PM »
We study history for a reason, BT.

Of course we do.

Following that line of thought, who in the present line up most closely resembles Eisenhower?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 02:07:18 PM »
Following that line of thought, who in the present line up most closely resembles Eisenhower?

Colin Powell.

Possibly Norman Schwartzkopf. That other general who was supposed to run off with the Democratic nomination, but fizzled.

Rudy Giulani is similar to Ike in his moderation and absence of hair. McCain seems to have also lost some hair and was in the military.

Powell and Schwartzkopf won't be running.

So the best answer is "no one, really"

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 03:58:11 PM »
Of all the politicians who have run for or occupied the American presidency in my lifetime (I was born in 1948), who would be the one best suited to lead us?

To lead a prolonged war on terror, despite pressure in the opinion polls, the current president.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 04:19:40 PM »

We want To win?

=======================================================
Your knowledge of history might just be a tad flawed.

Eisenhower was elected in 1952 and by 1953, the Korean War cease-fire was established and the fighting and dying stopped.

Nixon was elected in 1968, and re-elected in 1972. Thousands of US troops died until the war finally drug to a humiliating close, after Nixon was impeached and Ford was installed. It was not so much peace with honor as it was a huge lie about Nixon's secret plan to end the war, which no one has still heard explained, 30 years later, followed by the most humiliating scenes in US history, with people clinging to the skids of helicopters, helicopters costing millions being pushed into the sea, an airplane load of Vietnamese babies crashing on take-off, ande South Vietnamese President and Satrap Thieu barely getting his plane into the air, so loaded it was with the gold reserves of his puppet regime, as he flew into exquisite exile in Hong Kong.

The War in Vietnam outlasted Nixon, a lying thief who was impeached for trying to subvert democracy.

Not that it matters, because neither Eisenhower nor Nixon can be resurrected.
Some ratwing weenies would probably reelect Nixon, so it is a blessing that he is permanently deceased.

You think a long lasting truce and a DMZ are possible ing Iraq?

domer

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
Comparing the present crop of hopefuls to who's like Ike may prove fruitful. Off the top of my head, I would choose, subject to revision, Gen. Wesley Clark, for these reasons: he's a bright military mind with meaningful experience in the diplomatic skills needed to keep a coalition together. And, like Eisenhower, certainly smart enough to figure out what is an optimal course given the reality of a situation, and a man wwith broad enough shoulders to bear the burden of the path he leads the country into. That said, deferring, largely, to his foreign policy and military thinkers, Bill Clinton has both the drive and the talent to lead with a "charm offensive" in the Muslim world, packaged irrevocably with substantive and possibly synthesizing the best of the opposing cultures. The point is -- and I'm fully open to discussion on any legitimate "candidate" (read "set of skills") -- that both military acumen and the highest degree of statesmanship are now required. Given this proposed listing of historical figures, it is obvious to me at least that the present incumbent wouldn't even make it onto "the extreme 'long list.'" His failure at military planning is painfully obvious for all to see in Iraq right now. His diplomatic botching is evident in Iran's surge, with really no stopping point immediately visible short of a nuclear-armed Muslim power poised to be our opponents in a new Cold War. The Israel-Palestine problem has exacerbated under his "hands off" ("laissez faire") policies, a may be at a new, critical phase with a Hamas-run or -influenced government squaring off against a right-wing (but less so than Likud) Israeli government. Further, Iran's and Syria's sphere of influence (can you "domino" anyone) seems on the brink of reestablishing itself in Lebanon, where the US-backed government is under siege and perhaps poised to fall. In my opinion, one of the great gifts of a democracy is that we get to speak the truth as we see it, and then have it seasoned by opposing views. While we are not going to replace Bush in the next two years, we can, perhaps, have a voice in events by setting a standard for him to live up to and a set of historically-derived traits for him to emulate so that he can begin to fulfill the awesome responsibility that rests on his shoulders. I am reminded, again, of the old Sixties protect song written by Pete Seeger called about a military commander who made his troops wade inexorably through a swelling river to the point where they began to drown. The refrain was, "And the big fool said to push on." Bush has the obligation to get this right, aided by whatever help and resources he can muster from this resourceful nation, regardless of personal embarrassment and the abandonment of "cherished" but inappropriate notions. In my view, it's a moral imperative ... if only Bush saw morality that way.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 06:46:03 PM »
Given this proposed listing of historical figures, it is obvious to me at least that the present incumbent wouldn't even make it onto "the extreme 'long list.'"

Then why waste our time with these mental gymnastics.

Why not just be honest and post Bush sucks and Kerry sucks even worse for losing the last election.

BTW If Clark ran his presidency like he ran his candidacy we would be in a world of hurt.

domer

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 08:33:29 PM »
... because there's no intellectual, heuristic value in your approach, BT, as usual.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 08:52:42 PM »
I would prefer Bush to westly Clark just on the basis of sencertity.

Clark seems to be eagerly telling people what he thinks they want to hear.