Author Topic: "Clinton's Presidential bid hinges on Failed Surge"  (Read 12682 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Clinton's Presidential bid hinges on Failed Surge"
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »
And no one is stopping you from doing precisely that.  see how long you can keep your business prosperous and energized.
Are you saying that paying out $200 million bonuses is the best way to keep a company prosperous and energized?

Perhaps.  No more than Alex Rodriquez' or Alfonso Soriano's contract.  No more than David Beckham's new contract.  No more than what folks like Tom Cruise & Julia Roberts make for 1 movie.  Where's the outrage there?  Where's the wall to wall condemnation for their making what they're given??

Consider them condemned!  I fucking can't stand that a hack like Tom Cruise is paid what he's paid.  David Beckham is not worth $250 million!!!  I fucking hate that they are getting that money when they SUCK!  We were talking about the economy and jobs and CEO's.  I understand you trying to hit back with entertainment and sports figures getting exorbitant sums of money but I'm sorry, I find them repugnant as well.

For most, actually

Sorry, my understanding is that people are pissed at seeing companies make out like bandits and they aren't sharing that wealth.

Oz's Lion starrng Tom Hanks ,Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt , Jim Carey ,Barbra Striesand and Jessica Simpson.

Would not sell more tickets?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:39 AM »
OK, lean towards your ideology.  Better now?

How does the media "lean towards my ideology?"

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 02:38:21 PM »
OK, lean towards your ideology.  Better now?

How does the media "lean towards my ideology?"

You're kidding, right?  Perhaps you can point me to all the mainstream media stories referencing the negative impacts of increasing the minimum wage, and the impact it has the small busnessman....the negative impacts of raising taxes on "the rich"....the substantial negative impacts to our economy if a universal healthcare plane were adopted, or Kyoto were adopted....the positive impacts of reforming SS & medicare....the postive aspects of our war against Terror & in Iraq....etc., etc., etc.  The stories I might add, NOT found in the likes of those few news services that do lean right
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 02:48:48 PM »
You're kidding, right?  Perhaps you can point me to all the mainstream media stories referencing the negative impacts of increasing the minimum wage, and the impact it has the small busnessman....the negative impacts of raising taxes on "the rich"....the substantial negative impacts to our economy if a universal healthcare plane were adopted, or Kyoto were adopted....the positive impacts of reforming SS & medicare....the postive aspects of our war against Terror & in Iraq....etc., etc., etc.  The stories I might add, NOT found in the likes of those few news services that do lean right

That's an interesting garbled response, but you never answered my question. You responded to my question by asking me to provide proof. You made the allegation that the media "leans towards my ideology." I don't see anything in your answer that shows that to be the case.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »
That's an interesting garbled response, but you never answered my question. You responded to my question by asking me to provide proof. You made the allegation that the media "leans towards my ideology." I don't see anything in your answer that shows that to be the case.

Ahhh, so you're not a left leaning lib.  Funny, could have fooled me.  I provided examples of their left leaning bias in reporting.  If you've changed ideologies, my apologies
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »
Ahhh, so you're not a left leaning lib.  Funny, could have fooled me.  I provided examples of their left leaning bias in reporting.  If you've changed ideologies, my apologies

You provided nothing but a little rant. As a matter of fact the very first thing you asked me to do was to provide evidence for you.

And you know what the Wall Street Journal (2nd most distributed newspaper in the United States) will have had at least one article in recent times on the negative impact of increasing the minimum wage. So there you go. Rant refuted.

Now, can you back up your assertion or not?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
Here you go:

Wall Street Journal

ABC News

The OC Register

Florida Today Interesting one where business people think it will have little effect

I don't see a problem with finding what you asked for Sirs.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »

You provided nothing but a little rant. As a matter of fact the very first thing you asked me to do was to provide evidence for you.  And you know what the Wall Street Journal (2nd most distributed newspaper in the United States) will have had at least one article in recent times on the negative impact of increasing the minimum wage. So there you go. Rant refuted.  Now, can you back up your assertion or not?

I did if you'd stop using news outlets that are already leaning right, as a supposed debuking the left leaning myth.  The headlines and stories are limitless in painiting precisely the opposite picture I provided.  To find a smatter of some reports, especially from either those news sources that already lean R, such as the WSJ & OC Register, or a token story from the likes of ABC hardly refutes anything I've posed.

Do you or do you not largely lean left in your ideology?  If you do, my point's been made.  If you don't, my apologies

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »
Do you or do you not largely lean left in your ideology?  If you do, my point's been made.  If you don't, my apologies

How can you make a point with no evidence?

The Wall Street Journal is the second most distributed newspaper in the United States. You rant about the "mainscream media," but apparently that does not include one of the most popular newspapers printed in the entire nation. How does that make sense to you? Sirs, you are providing one of the most irrational discussions I've seen on these fora - and that is really saying something.

You are basically upset because media outlets you consider "left-leaning" (which you've still left very poorly defined) aren't printing enough "right-leaning" (again very poorly defined) material. That truly defies logic.

Moreover, minimum wage is not an issue that falls neatly into the left and right spectrum anyway. There have been many leftists (especially unionists) who opposed minimum wage laws and those one the right (especially clergy) who have supported it.

Again, this is just a completely irrational discussion. Now you can respond with some silly one-liner or less than witty remark (which is what I expect) or perhaps you can explain what you are on about.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
The Wall Street Journal is the second most distributed newspaper in the United States. You rant about the "mainscream media," but apparently that does not include one of the most popular newspapers printed in the entire nation. How does that make sense to you?

I think this is a disingenuous claim. Many media companies publish under a variety of names. Tribune, for instance, publishes the Chicago Tribune, the Baltimore Sun, the Los Angeles Times, Long Island Newsday, Orlando Sentinel, and a number of other newspapers. Taking Tribune's total circulation into account, the WSJ's circulation pales in comparison.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2007, 05:19:13 PM »
That's a fair point Ami.

Still, it is difficult to argue that the Wall Street Journal is not a popular, well-known, and well-established newspaper. Moreover, the Tribune Group may own all of those newspapers, but it is fair to say that they all have unique character to them.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
That's a fair point Ami.  Still, it is difficult to argue that the Wall Street Journal is not a popular, well-known, and well-established newspaper.

I must have missed where I claimed it wasn't.  The claim is in that it's conceded that it leans a little to the right, especially in their editorial dept.  1 Publication, regardless of it's distribution, pales in comparision to the vast majority of all others.  No?