Author Topic: am I wrong about guns?  (Read 12789 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
am I wrong about guns?
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »
it`s seems to me no true dialog about the two side about guns ? both sides argue but neither bother to find resolution. the goal is to get thier idea through not to keep the most people alive.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: am I wrong about guns?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »
A "little" wrong Kimba.  Both sides have offered multiple resolution proposals (keeping in mind there will never be 100% resolution)  I think what you're looking for is compromise.  Where does that exist?  Let me ask you, how far do you go to compromise on your 1st amendment right to free speech?  How much do you compromise on your 4th amendment right to unreasonable searches to you or your property?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
We restrict people from owning RPGs and bazookas. If the goal was to allow people to arm themselves  well enough to overthrow an oppressive government,then these and m,any more weapons would not be restricted.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
So, because we're not armed as well as we should be, we should just completely disarm?   

But at least you've finally given up on the nonsense that the 2nd was all about hunting down slaves
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:56:02 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:24:46 PM »
But T least you've finally given up on the nonsense that the 2nd was all about hunting down slaves

Not at all. It was obvious that slave rebellions in the Caribbean were scaring the crap out of the slaveowners.

Here is how Nat Turner was captured:

Turner had originally planned for the rebellion to begin on July 4, 1831, but had fallen ill, pushing the date back until August 22.[11] Turner started with several trusted fellow slaves, and ultimately gathered more than 70 enslaved and free blacks, some of whom were mounted on horseback.[12] On August 13, 1831, an atmospheric disturbance made the sun appear bluish-green. Turner took this as the final signal, and began the rebellion a week later on August 22. The rebels traveled from house to house, freeing slaves and killing all the white people they encountered.

Because the rebels did not want to alert anyone, they discarded their muskets and used knives, hatchets, axes, and blunt instruments instead of firearms. (The latter also would have been more difficult for them to collect.) Historian Stephen B. Oates states that Turner called on his group to "kill all the white people."[13] A contemporary newspaper noted, "Turner declared that 'indiscriminate slaughter was not their intention after they attained a foothold, and was resorted to in the first instance to strike terror and alarm.'"[14] The group spared a few homes "because Turner believed the poor white inhabitants 'thought no better of themselves than they did of negroes.'"[13][15]

The rebels spared almost no one whom they encountered, with the exception of a small child who hid in a fireplace among the few survivors. The slaves killed approximately sixty white men, women and children[13] before Turner and his brigade of insurgents were defeated. A white militia with twice the manpower of the rebels and reinforced by three companies of artillery eventually defeated the insurrection.[16]

I

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »
 That's all nice.  Has squaf to do with the Bill of Rights,  and the 2nd Amendment in particular

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:40:01 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 01:15:22 AM »
yes a  compromise but something that bothsides will hate.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 02:45:08 AM »
But what are you willing to compromise with your 1st amendment?  Something you'd hate

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 02:57:02 AM »
i have no idea what can or cannot be done. but this extreme which both sides are at the offensive is gonna cause more trouble. correction is now happening. but it looks like things are escalating

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:11:11 AM »
Whether you realize it or not, you're helping to make my point, Kimba.  The fact you couldn't come up with something that you'd hate in compromising your 1st amendment right, is largely why folks like myself, will suggest all manner of proposals, with the goal of lessening these types of shootings.....so long as our 2nd amendment right isn't being infringed.

In other words, folks like myself have no problem with the idea of compromise.  It's where the compromise hits.  Banning some specific firearm will be hated by folks like myself.....and do precisely squat in preventing these attacks from occurring in the future.  So, that's really a non-starter.  It's like Israel giving up defensible land for the "promise of peace"

And what exactly would Gun Control advocates be hating in some sort of compromise?  That they weren't able to ban all firearms?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
There is no reason why a person would need a weapons that could fire 30 bullets in rapid succession to defend himself, A mass murderer would prefer such a weapon.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
And again the notion of need.  I don't think you need to to be able to plead the 5th.  You definitely don't need to be able to criticize any Republican candidate for President.  Anything a bad guy can get his hands on, I should legally be able to as well.  But I'm willing to compromise on being limited to semi-automatic that can fire in rapid siccession, to their illegally obtained fully automatic

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
That is not really a compromise.
Who the Hell do you think will attack you?
The Muslim Brotherhood?
The Marx Brothers  (Chico, Harpo, Gummo, Zeppo, Groucho and Karl)?
The Purple Gang, aka the whole rhythm section from Jailhouse Rock?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
Doesn't matter.   Given that criminals can and will get illegal guns, including automatics, I have every right to defend myself with a firearm that can fire quickly...... period