Author Topic: So it's Biden  (Read 12516 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: So it's Biden
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 03:02:47 AM »
BTW do you talk to your students the same way you are talking to me. Calling them ignorant and talking real slowwwly to them as if they are too stupid to understand normal speech patterns.

Is that something that would be looked at in a performance evaluation.

Teachers in our district are tested before they are even hired.  Veteran teachers, like myself are subject to re-evaluations which require proof of a specific expertise.

When was the last time you were evaluated?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 03:03:29 AM »
hat's my POINT. I, we, have been tested, Bill.

Really. How often are you tested?

BTW do you think teacher pay should be tied to performance?

Teachers in our district are tested before they are even hired.  Veteran teachers, like myself are subject to re-evaluations which require proof of a specific expertise.

I have always been able to prove my expertise in that way.

My concern is that no matter how much we test an individual, there is more to being a good educator teacher/facilitator than a score from a test/exam. For example: A master musician does not always make the best music teacher. In fact, the performing artist is not typically capable of being a teacher/educator. In spite of the assumtion that a quality performing artist can do no wrong.  It takes a particular skill to "teach" coupled with a certain tested knowledge.
 This is why I feel that you do not understand the 'art of teaching', BT. You want a one dimensional "point", score to prove excellence.

That's where you are lacking in awareness of this arena of education.

There's more to the issue than you will ever understand. I see that each and every time you post on this issue.

We should accept the mystery unquestioningly and fund fully , whatever fully funding might mean.

We cannot understand what we are buying and we have no idea what it should cost.

Cynthia

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 03:23:42 AM »
BTW do you talk to your students the same way you are talking to me. Calling them ignorant and talking real slowwwly to them as if they are too stupid to understand normal speech patterns.

Is that something that would be looked at in a performance evaluation.

Teachers in our district are tested before they are even hired.  Veteran teachers, like myself are subject to re-evaluations which require proof of a specific expertise.

When was the last time you were evaluated?

No, I do not talk to my students in that way, because they have respect for others, BT.

I'm evaluated every month. btw.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 03:27:25 AM »
No, I do not talk to my students in that way, because they have respect for others, BT.

And what makes you think I don't?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 03:28:20 AM »
I'm evaluated every month. btw.

Please explain the process.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 03:58:21 AM »
it's still "underfunded?"

Yes, it is.

By what amount?

Question(s): 
At what point is NCLB "fully funded"? 
At what point is Public Education "fully funded"?

Ask Biden, he knows more than you ever will, Sirs.

I'm asking a public school teacher, that supposedly know the intimate details of how "underfunded" the Public Education system is.  Or, do you not know??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »
Obama is supposed to be some "uniter", all about change, blah blah

so he has the chance to unite the democratic party

didn't like 18 million democrats vote for Senator Clinton?

but no Obama doesn't pick Senator Clinton which would unite the party

instead he picks Joe 2% Biden, most ordinary people hardly know who he is

no Obama lets personal dislikes and pettiness prevent what would have been best for party unity

the hell with Hillary's 18 million supporters

this guy Obama is a fraud!

uniter, lol, my ASS!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
From the blog of a very liberal friend of mine:

"Obama has yet to give me a good reason to vote for him. And there's no way I'm voting for McCain. So I'm thinking protest vote this year. Maybe we'll be buried in snow and I'll have a good excuse not to go out that day."
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »
Amianthus I spoke with a young girl I am friends with thurs night and she told me that she had just
had dinner with one of her girlfriends and over dinner they discussed the election. I was shocked to
learn that both of them had recently come to the conclusion to NOT vote for Obama. Last spring they
were big Obama "Rock the Vote" types.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
Obama has a simple problem.  If he were running the way he is now, during the Dem primaries, Hillary would be their nominee, while McCain would have still been the GOP nominee.  Obama, in his haste to offend the least amount of people (demonstrated so transparently during the pseudo-debate), is alienating a huge throng of those that supported his "change" mantra,  Not everyone of course, there are the die-hard swooning Obama Cool-aide drinkers, and of course the contingent of toe-tag anyone but a Republican, but for those numerous fence sitters, and moderates who may dislike both parties, are likely to be much more flustered by Obama's lack of conviction & focus, with this effort to try and placate/appease everyone, than McCain's damn the torpedoes, this is what I believe, or this is why I changed my mind on a prior position, approach

And, for the record, Biden was a good choice for veep, IMHO....it just simply negates the whole "change" approach during the campaign, however.  It was a political choice vs a choice of "change".   A choice that could have really righted that ship, but now it simply reinforces that much more of the typical politician most of the rest of us already knew he was
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:18:21 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Amianthus I spoke with a young girl I am friends with thurs night and she told me that she had just
had dinner with one of her girlfriends and over dinner they discussed the election. I was shocked to
learn that both of them had recently come to the conclusion to NOT vote for Obama. Last spring they
were big Obama "Rock the Vote" types.

Young girls??? -- you need to stop that and hang out with young women.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
<<Amianthus I spoke with a young girl I am friends with thurs night and she told me that she had just
were big Obama "Rock the Vote" types.>>

Obama's chosen to veer to the right and it must have been with the knowledge that some of the original base would drop out, but he must have calculated the benefits would more than compensate for them.  So far the polling numbers don't verify that calculation.  But Biden is a pretty smart guy - - maybe he's the one who can make it happen.  Hopefully he'll end the free ride that McCain's been getting from the media and the Obama camp to date.  This could be where some real mud starts to fly.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »
"But Biden is a pretty smart guy"

Biden voted in favor of the invasions of Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003
as well as voted to reauthorize the original PATRIOT act in 2006.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »
<<Biden voted in favor of the invasions of Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003
as well as voted to reauthorize the original PATRIOT act in 2006.>>

Biden did so because the Democratic Party are a bunch of spineless cowards.  I would be amazed if Biden really believed any of Bush's shit, but he went along for the same reason most of the Democrats did, they were scared of being labeled "pro-terrorist" by opposing the war hysteria generated by the Bush administration.  This is a long-time failing of the Democratic Party, going back to the Viet Nam War, a fear of being out-flanked on the right by the Republican Party, and shown in exquisite detail in David Halberstam's account of the causes of the Viet Nam War, "The Best and the Brightest," which is as true today as it ever was.

This is the problem with Biden - - he's NOT "change," he's the OLD Democratic Party, with all its faults.  But I can see where he'll come in very handy in stripping the halo off of McCain's head, rallying Democratic votes that might otherwise escape Obama, etc.  I'm well aware of who Biden is and what he represents, but at this point in time, maybe Obama is right in calling him in.

In an ideal world, Obama wouldn't need Biden or any of the other Old Democrats.  He could pick a running mate who's just as fresh and new as he is, who is not beholden to the Old Guard, and who could proudly proclaim his LACK of "experience" as a Beltway Insider.  We don't live in that Ideal World.  In this world, Biden may just be the right man for the job.

Cynthia

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »

And what makes you think I don't?

So, you respect that teachers are going through a rough patch? Really?

Somehow, I doubt that.

Teachers need and deserve so much more respect than they are given, BT.

I have yet to read that you understand the plight of the teacher under the NCLB act.