Author Topic: So it's Biden  (Read 12517 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: So it's Biden
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
I don't think anyone, certainly not I, have claimed public spending is not a variable. But raising spending is also not the magic potion it is described to be, without addressing the other variables, even the obvious ones that won't be mentioned, whatever they may be.

Proposition 13 was an interesting initiative. It capped property taxes, which traditionally funded school systems, but it also transferred funding responsibility to the state, which funds districts based on ADA and in a way, equalizes the playing field between richer and poorer districts. If that result has had a negative effect on perfrmance then other states like Vermot may want to rethink their puhes for statewide funding.

If memory serves Utah is on the bottom for public spending on schools yet ranks in the middle as far as performance.

But none of that addesses my question. In district, where funding is equalized, what would account for the disparity in performance?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
But none of that addresses my question. In district, where funding is equalized, what would account for the disparity in performance?

I'd say that there are a myriad of variables that affect the performance of different schools within any given district. For example, how much does the local culture value an education? What are the social classes that constitute the individual school demographics? Student/teacher ratio? What is the school building itself like? Education and skill levels of the teachers? There are most definitely many, many more.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
For example, how much does the local culture value an education?

Ok how do you optimize the value of education within a given culture? And is that something the government should take on or is it the responsibility of that given culture?