Author Topic: Sometimes it's not about "freedom of speech," but about freedom  (Read 11077 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sometimes it's not about "freedom of speech," but about freedom
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 01:06:52 AM »
<<And you're making the same mistake that Homosexuality is akin to skin color.  It isn't, and your say so isn't anywhere close to validating such.>>

Well, I guess that depends on whether you believe homosexuality is a choice or a condition.  From what I read, most people who are experts on the subject believe it to be a condition, but personally I think with some folks it's innate and with others it was something they chose.  But really WTF do I know?  Or the experts either, for that matter? 

What matters is the relevence of the comparison.  Trying to take a KNOWN factor of race, one that the person has zip control over, and using the emotional rhetoric of the civil rights movement & segregation as some valid comparison to what many consider an immoral/sinful act, one that has no scientific basis what-so-ever of no control over such acts, is patently disengenuous at the least.  Sure there are racists who'll condemn another simply because of their skin color (and it's not limited to whitey either, there are plenty of blacks who have no problem condemning others, simply because they're not black)  Point being, minorities have no choice in the race they become.  There is no scientific conclusion, in any way shape or form that can say the same about Homosexual behavior.  There are hypotheses and "wishful thinking", but nothing more than that.  As such, trying to use the emotional connections associated with racial discrimination back in the 50's & 60's as some form of leverage to push your skewed ideological bent on how you think others should view what so many others would consider a specific immoral act, one of their own chosing, is about as egregious as you can get.

But on the Constitutional issue, I think it's irrelevant, because the law basically ignores the state of homosexuality and just solves the problem by refusing to marry a man to a man.  In theory you could have two heterosexual men who want to get married (let's say for the legal benefits that one or both would receive.)  The law makes no distinction between marrying a gay man to a gay man or a straight man to a straight man.  What the law prohibits officially is not gay marriages but male-to-male marriages (or woman-to-woman.)

YET, Civil Unions allow for precisely such, LEGAL, with EQUAL RIGHTS.  The fact you don't support that, and are all hung up on the "marriage" angle, demonstrates your obvious disregard to the legal aspect

<< But when you get behind the drive to legitimize and normalize adultery, then we can actually start making appropriate comparisons>>

I'm afraid I've lost your meaning, sirs.  How can I or anyone else legitimize or normalize adultery?    

Well, considering how hard you're trying to pound the immoral act of Homosexuality as legitimate & normal, only you can really answer that question regarding the immoral act of adultery
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 01:55:32 AM »
<<Trying to take a KNOWN factor of race, one that the person has zip control over, and using the emotional rhetoric of the civil rights movement & segregation as some valid comparison to what many consider an immoral/sinful act, one that has no scientific basis what-so-ever of no control over such acts, is patently disengenuous at the least.>>

Factually I think you're out to lunch and at least 25 years out of date.  Most of the informed comment that I've been reading about this subject seems to indicate that it's inborn and the individual has no choice in the matter.  The people who say it's a matter of choice seem to be mostly ignorant red-necks of the born-again variety, the last people in the world whose opinion on scientific matters would be worth anything.  The same kind of people who believe the earth is 6,000 years old and that evolution is a myth.  Fucking idiots, for want of a better term.  Most of the life stories that I've read or seen recounted on TV seem to indicate the person struggled for years against his own sexual orientation before being forced to acknowledge his or her gayness.  It's a lot more like race (in the sense of being a part of one's identity that one has no control over) than the ignorant would like to admit.

<<YET, Civil Unions allow for precisely such, LEGAL, with EQUAL RIGHTS. >>

Yes, LEGAL for sure.  But as long as there's a dividing line between civil unions and marriage, even the fact that the rights are equal does not remove the fact that the law has discriminated against one class of citizens, the gay population, telling all the gay Adams,  You do not have the right to marry Steve; Linda can marry Steve, but you can't. That is OBVIOUS discrimination.  And discrimination based on nothing more than identity factors, who the person is.  In that sense it is no different than the Nuremburg Laws, which (for example) barred Jews from teaching in the universities solely on the basis of one factor in their personal IDs.  That was discriminatory, and the discrimination would not have been removed even if the Nazis had provided equal Jewish universities for the Jews to teach in.  Separate is NOT equal.  That's the lesson of Brown v. Topeka.

<< The fact you don't support that, and are all hung up on the "marriage" angle, demonstrates your obvious disregard to the legal aspect>>

Well naturally I would be all hung up on the marriage angle, since it is with respect to the right to marry that the gays are being denied their Constitutional right of equality.  You don't remove the discrimination of being deprived of one right simply by creating a new right and saying, here, you can have this right (civil union) but not that one.  What if a gay person WANTS to be married just like a hetero?  What happened to HIS right of free choice?  Why should he be strait-jacketed into a new right he doesn't want while he's still being denied the old right that he does want?  I thought you right-wing fruit-bats were all in favour of individual choices unfettered by the evil state's interference.

<<Well, considering how hard you're trying to pound the immoral act of Homosexuality as legitimate & normal, only you can really answer that question regarding the immoral act of adultery>>

Huh?  moi?  where did I ever pound the immoral act of homosexuality as legitimate and normal?  How can it be normal if most people are anything BUT homosexual?  I never said homosexuality is normal and I never would.  It's obviously not normal any more than 4 ft. 5 in. is normal height for an adult American male.  Who gives a shit if it's normal or not anyway?  WTF does normal have to do with anything?  And as far as legitimate goes, what the fuck am I, the bedroom police?  How can I or anyone else legitimize what is basically a personal choice?   As long as an activity is permitted by law, it is legitimate enough for me.  That doesn't mean I'd want to do it or I'd be happy if someone in my family did it, but it does mean that I respect the freedom of others to choose it if they wish.  It's basically none of my God-damn business if others get into it.

Personally, you have every right to consider homosexuality to be an immoral act.  But I don't think the laws should discriminate in any way against homosexuals, because that is taking one personal view of the morality of the homosexual act (yours) and elevating it from one man's opinion into every man's law.  This ignores the opinion of the homosexual, who does NOT think it's immoral.  I don't believe the law should take his side or your side - - it must remain neutral and respect everyone's POV.  Otherwise the law would be discriminatory and unconstitutional.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 03:03:45 AM »
Your flaws remain as exposed as when you 1st started down this path, Tee. 
- Civil Unions give homosexual couples equal rights under the law, so that arguement is moot
- There is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to prove Homosexuality is anything other than a sexual choice, so that arguement is largely moot
- Trying to compare the segregation practices on people who SCIENTIFICALLY/FACTUALLY had no choice in the pigment they were born with those who's faith teaches them that certain acts are to be considered immoral is transparently desperate & intellectually dishonest, in every way, shape, and form tried

Especially when you consider how it's all predicated on 1 term, that you just can not get off of     ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

crocat

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 08:12:33 AM »
Yeoww.... I read this article and saw the big meaning and comeback afterwork and it becomes  all about one gay sentence...  I cannot believe how locked into your own little finger pointers.  TALK...TALK...TALK

Well Cro, I think the article speaks for itself, don't you?    ;)

I do... and I also think that President Ahmadinejad knew how to get us "talk, talk, talkers" engaged.  If we are going to 'talk talk' I am confused why we are not worried and talking about his nuclear plans.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »
Sure they are......it's called CIVIL UNIONS.  They marry, they get an official license from the state, and under the law, would have the same exact rights as a married couple.  Now, if we could just get the left to actually support it, we might get somewhere.  But apparently, they're too hung up on trying to redefine marriage, instead of focusing on the concept of equal rights, under the law

No offense Sirs, that may pass in California with Republicans and even Conservative Democrats (do those exist in California?) but here in the South, to use the proper expression - that dog won't hunt.

Republicans and Democrats here might pay some sort of lip service to the whole "civil unions" notion, but the reality is that they would never vote for such a thing because to do so would be politicial suicide.

I'm not suggesting that you are insincere at all, in fact I think you are completely sincere with your view on civil unions. Yet, in the Suth and Midwest that line is used either as a way to escape debate or it is simply not used at all.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2007, 10:27:29 AM »
<<Your flaws remain as exposed as when you 1st started down this path, Tee.
<<- Civil Unions give homosexual couples equal rights under the law, so that arguement is moot>>

You just don't get it, do you?  The very fact that a civil union WOULD (but doesn't in real life) give equal rights to gays does not remove the fact that they would be discriminated against in law by the fact of the separate legal category created for them.  Therefore the rights they would have can not be equal.  That is not just Tee talking - - that is your Supreme Court talking, ALL NINE OF THEM, in Brown v. Topeka.  Separate can never be equal.  The fact that they have to be separated out legally means someone thinks ill of them - - not someone like Jerry Falwell or the President of the U.S.A. or Billy Graham or Strom Thurmond, but someone like the law of the land.  And the law of the land is not allowed or supposed to think ill of any citizen or discriminate against them even nominally unless they have committed a criminal act.  Which being gay is not.

<<- There is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to prove Homosexuality is anything other than a sexual choice, so that arguement is largely moot>>

Well, I'll leave this to others who know more, or maybe I'll google when I have more time, but you and I must have been reading different newspapers and magazines because everything I've ever read, unless it came from right-wing religious wingnuts like that James Dobbins of Focus on the Family, seemed to be of the opinion that homosexuality was NOT a matter of choice.  Might be a choice for a gay guy to act on his gay feelings or not, but the gayness itself, as I understand it, was NOT something the guy just decided to be.

<< Trying to compare the segregation practices on people who SCIENTIFICALLY/FACTUALLY had no choice in the pigment they were born with those who's faith teaches them that certain acts are to be considered immoral is transparently desperate & intellectually dishonest, in every way, shape, and form tried>>

So what?  Their faith also teaches them that the earth is 6,000 years old, so fuck 'em.  They can believe whatever they like but the moment they try to get the law on their side so that what they believe becomes law for others who don't believe it, I say fuck them and everything they stand for.  Since when does the right to make the laws belong to the most ignorant?

<<Especially when you consider how it's all predicated on 1 term, that you just can not get off of>>

That's a specious argument.  When the discrimination takes the form of forbidding the right of marriage, naturally the argument focuses on the right to marry.  When the discrimination focused on the right to go to school, the argument focused on schools.  What the hell are we talking about now EXCEPT the right to marry?  And taking it away while handing out a whole new right that the gays DON'T want, the right to their own segregated special little status for nobody else but them, a civil union?  What insulting bullshit.  They're as good as any straight man or woman (in the eyes of the law) and they want the same rights that any straight man or woman already has, not some hand-crafted special little right made just for people like them.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
There is NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to prove Homosexuality is anything other than a sexual choice, so that arguement is largely moot

Not yet, but there is common sense.

I know that when I came of age (or however you wish to describe it) I didn't sit down and think about which gender I might prefer. I liked girls. There was no decision involved. When I saw Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul (laugh now, but they were hot then!) I didn't make a conscious decision to be attracted, I WAS attracted.

And there are psychological studies that show that homosexuals showed preferences and attractions towards the same gender at an earlier age.

I don't really see where "choice" has anything to do with it.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »
No offense Sirs, that may pass in California with Republicans and even Conservative Democrats (do those exist in California?) but here in the South, to use the proper expression - that dog won't hunt.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Southerners can be quite pragmatic. Given a choice between civil unions and gay marriage they would choose civil unions.

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Southerners can be quite pragmatic. Given a choice between civil unions and gay marriage they would choose civil unions.

But do you think it is that choice?

I'm not impugning the South, Bt. You live here. Would Civil Unions really work?

Consider the following list of amendments to state constitutions and the wording, sometimes absolutely explicit, sometimes more implicit that forbades civil unions and not just same sex marriage.

Alabama's constitution forbids civil unions.

Ref.1 (g)
A union replicating marriage of or between persons of the same sex in the State of Alabama or in any other jurisdiction shall be considered and treated in all respects as having no legal force or effect in this state and shall not be recognized by this state as a marriage or other union replicating marriage.

As does Arkansas, Amendment 83:

Section 2. Marital status. Legal status for unmarried persons which is identical or substantially similar to marital status shall not be valid or recognized in Arkansas, except that the legislature may recognize a common law marriage from another state between a man and a woman.

Georgia, Article I Section IV

(b) No union between persons of the same sex shall be recognized by this state as entitled to the benefits of marriage. This state shall not give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other state or jurisdiction respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other state or jurisdiction. The courts of this state shall have no jurisdiction to grant a divorce or separate maintenance with respect to any such relationship or otherwise to consider or rule on any of the parties' respective rights arising as a result of or in connection with such relationship.

Kentucky, Section 233A

Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Kentucky. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized.

Louisiana Article XII, Section 15.

Marriage in the state of Louisiana shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman. No official or court of the state of Louisiana shall construe this constitution or any state law to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any member of a union other than the union of one man and one woman. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized. No official or court of the state of Louisiana shall recognize any marriage contracted in any other jurisdiction which is not the union of one man and one woman.

South Carolina XVII Section 15

A marriage between one man and one woman is the only lawful domestic union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This State and its political subdivisions shall not create a legal status, right, or claim respecting any other domestic union, however denominated. This State and its political subdivisions shall not recognize or give effect to a legal status, right, or claim created by another jurisdiction respecting any other domestic union, however denominated. Nothing in this section shall impair any right or benefit extended by the State or its political subdivisions other than a right or benefit arising from a domestic union that is not valid or recognized in this State. This section shall not prohibit or limit parties, other than the State or its political subdivisions, from entering into contracts or other legal instruments.

Virginia Article 1, Section 15-A

This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.

Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
The amendments were defensive. Plain and simple. Same thing happened in a lot of fly over states.

Given a choice between civil unions and gay marriage i certainly believe the voters would opt for the more palatable term.

My guess is the urban core would vote for gay marriage.

My guess is the urban core and the transplant suburbs would go along with a civil union compromise, leaving the exurbs and rural areas to fend for themselves. Especially if it put the issue to rest.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »
"I've always supported Castro's firing squads and control of the press because of the purity of Castro's aims, whereas I would condemn the American equivalents because of the corrupt and venal motives of the American ruling class.
"

This must explain the dismay of Castro supporters at Forbes magazine nameing him amoung the world s richest persons.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:10 PM »
  The law cna discriminate between persons who want to marry.

Persons who want to marry three at a time may or may not be born with the gene for polyandry, but it matters not, it is forbidden properly because the people hold polyandry in horror and no other reason is needed.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
<<This must explain the dismay of Castro supporters at Forbes magazine nameing him amoung the world s richest persons.>>

I'm not dismayed at all.  I think Forbes is fulla shit.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »
<<The law can discriminate between persons who want to marry.

<< Persons who want to marry three at a time may or may not be born with the gene for polyandry, but it matters not, it is forbidden properly because the people hold polyandry in horror and no other reason is needed.>>

So what?  That's wrong too.  If I wanna marry two women or two men or two women AND two men, I think that oughtta be my choice.  How does the law handle Muslims, who are allowed up to four wives?  If I were a Muslim and I couldn't get married to No. 2 legally, I'd be plenty pissed off and just like the gay and lesbian lovers, I'd want to file a court challenge.

Lending strength to the idea I've seen before in this thread and elsewhere: this is a good time for the state to get out of the marriage business altogether.  It's more complex than it originally appeared back in the  1950s when Dick and Jane had a stay-at-home mummy and a work-at-the-office daddy and a dog named Spot.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
kinda doubt it`s a choice
I`ve been to the folsom street faire
lets just say the choices are very limited
ernest borgnine is a the catagory and proof it`s not a choice