Author Topic: The Republicans to the Rescue, Again  (Read 5603 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Republicans to the Rescue, Again
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 03:10:57 AM »
Although I admire and respect Bob Dole , I don't feel compelled to agree with him.

I shall decide what I really think later , what I have learned so far is not enough.

This sort of treaty comes around again every few years , perhaps I will know more by then.

BSB

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 03:39:45 AM »
I explained the purpose. It's to bring the world along. Nothing more, or less, than that.

You have to make the transition. Chemistry allowed for the transition from an inanimate object to an animated one. Now that we are an animated biological system you have to make the transition from Darwinistic survival to altruistic globalism. In the case of the posters in 3DHS I don't have much hope.  But than again we'll be dying off and our offspring, and their offspring, will be better suited to make the transition. 

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 04:09:47 AM »
But than again we'll be dying off and our offspring, and their offspring, will be better suited to make the transition. 

BSB

Not gonna happen with the current debt all our offspring is going to be crushed under
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 04:28:11 AM »
I explained the purpose. It's to bring the world along. Nothing more, or less, than that.

We've been leading by example since Bush 41 signed the ADA. I am guessing we didn't submit the treaty to the UN for ratification without being damned sure that whatever comes back to the US to ratify would pass with no problems.

No, I suspect that the UN is asking US to sign on to a program that we already have. I question the need for this kind of symbolism. I am suspicious of the devils that are likely in the details.

BSB

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 04:43:44 AM »
"I am suspicious of the devils that are likely in the details."

Ah huh, the main detail being that the Republican party looks dumber, and more out of touch, by the day. 

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
If that is the purpose of the treaty, the Senate was wise not to pass it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
I fail to see any reason NOT to ratify this treaty. It did not pass because it required a super majority, and the Republicans have a majority of UN haters among their members

Santorum is a scumbag, a hireling lobbyist without scruples. It is unseemly in the extreme to crow about how he succeeded in appearing to be against the disabled and the UN in exchange for oodles of lobbyist bucks. Will he need that sweater vest in Hell? What a total dork! Romney wasn't worth much as a candidate, but he had Santorum beat, for sure.

I think the ADA was a needed reform. I am 70 but completely mobile, and am not among those who will wait for someone to vacate a choice parking spot to avoid walking a half a block. A lot of people use their child's or spouse's disability permit to park in the disabled spots. I find this reprehensible.

On the other hand, even on the very busiest day, even with people using disabled permits of others and everything, ten of the 20 disabled spots at a local Home Depot are always unused. As I said, I do not mind walking a bit.

It seems that Home Depot overestimated the number of disabled people who are into laying tile, putting up drywall,and whatever. On the other hand, there are several pharmacies that have only three or four disabled spots that are always occupied.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 02:11:48 PM »
>>A lot of people use their child's or spouse's disability permit to park in the disabled spots. I find this reprehensible.<<

That and drivers who pull into a handicapped spot, get out, and go into the  store when it's obvious it's the passenger who is disabled not them.

>>On the other hand, even on the very busiest day, even with people using disabled permits of others and everything, ten of the 20 disabled spots at a local Home Depot are always unused. As I said, I do not mind walking a bit.

It seems that Home Depot overestimated the number of disabled people who are into laying tile, putting up drywall,and whatever. On the other hand, there are several pharmacies that have only three or four disabled spots that are always occupied.<<

Of course Home Depot usually has a parking lot the size of a couple of football fields and some pharmacies lots are the size of a postage stamp.

Here in Massachusetts (home of the brave) most handicapped drivers use a placard that hangs from their mirror. I have a disabled license plate which is rare and requires the service connected loss, or loss of use of, a limb. Now I get around very well and only have a slightly perceptible limp. Further, I walk several miles twice a day to stay in shape. So I don't use a handicapped space very often and when I do it's to protect my car from parking lot dings and scratches not because of my handicap. Anyhow, invariably, when I do use a handicapped spot some busybody will say, hey, you need a placard. Usually I point to my plate, and go about my business, but sometimes I feel a need to educate them on the fact that there are, albeit a very small number, handicapped license plates in Massachusetts. 

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
I fail to see any reason NOT to ratify this treaty.

I fail to see a reason to pass it. I haven't seen the treaty so who knows what is in it.

Fear of a party being ridiculed is never a good reason to pass legislation, absent more compelling reasons to do so.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »
The Home Depot site is off Biscayne Boulevard and is not all that large. I have never seen it completely full, but then, after a big storm, I avoid going there. The pharmacy lots in question are smaller, and are often full.

I would not complain if the disabled person were a passenger, who also needed to walk to the store. But very often, the car has no passengers, disabled or otherwise, just one galoot who grabs the disabled spot and walks in alone.

Here in FL, most use a disabled hangtag. There are a few with disabled plates.

BSB

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
"absent more compelling reasons to do so"

Bringing the world along is a compelling reason.

Bt, you're just being stubborn here. That can be your nature.

XO, most Home Depots in this area have huge parking lots. Florida? Don't know. 

BSB

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
Our ratification of the treaty won't bring the world along. The UN has already ratified it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
Most of the Home Depots do indeed have huge parking lots. This one has a smaller one, because it was built on the site of a mobile home park in a fairly well developed area, The lot is not small, but smaller than the others. As I said, I have never seen it entirely full.

There were a lot of protests when they tore down the trailer park and evicted several hundred residents. Then there were more when they announced they were going to put a Home Depot there, because many thought it would cause congestion in an already congested area. Perhaps they were overcompensating to avoid more protests. It is the nearest Home Depot to my home.

Whoever decided how many spots should be for disabled people seems to have overestimated the need.

BSB

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
What I posted below was written several months ago but it points to what some feel/felt was the importance of our signing on.

Now, in keeping my ear to the ground on this I've heard, from "conservative" as well as "liberal" sources, that the reason the Republicans didn't sign on was fear of an attack from their right flank. The Tea Party crowd, etc. If they signed on they were afraid, individually, that they'd be vulnerable to an attack from the black helicopter crowd in their next bid for reelection. I suspect that that is the truth of it.

To that I say, cowards come in all shapes and sizes, and this was a cowardly act make no mistake about it. 

As for your take BT? You don't have one. You're just running around in circles.

BSB

>>Senators back UN disability rights treaty
By Elise Viebeck - 05/28/12 05:20 AM ET

Tweet
A bipartisan group of senators said the United States must fully endorse a United Nations convention on rights for the disabled, noting the challenges many wounded veterans face while traveling abroad.

The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) prescribes actions for states that want to "ensure and promote the full realization of all human rights … for all persons with disabilities without discrimination."

The U.S. government has signed but not ratified the treaty, which now requires Senate approval. It contains detailed policy objectives, though a release said that ratification would require "no changes to U.S. laws or new appropriations."

"I have long advocated on behalf of equal access and non-discrimination for all Americans, including our veterans and today’s disabled soldiers returning home from serving their nation in war," Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said in a statement.

"I support U.S. ratification of the disability treaty, as it seeks to advance these same fundamental values of equality and human dignity around the world."

The CRPD takes cues from the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act, which enacted vast protections for the disabled against discrimination in employment, public accommodations and other areas.

The convention currently has 112 ratifications and 153 signatories, according to the UN.

Senators taking part in Friday's announcement were: McCain, Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.)

“The United States is a leader in advocating for the empowerment of disabled Americans, including our veterans who have returned home with life-changing injuries," said Udall said.

"This treaty is an important tool to improve conditions for citizens living and working abroad and ensures that we remain a beacon for fairness and opportunity around the world."<<

http://www.skweezer.com/s.aspx?q=http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/other/229711-senators-back-un-treaty-on-disability-rights

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
As for your take BT? You don't have one. You're just running around in circles.

Sure i do. I don't believe we need to ratify it. Symbolic gestures don't pound nails.
Certainly your rationale for ratifying it didn't persuade me.